JSPEED vs. JBARONE STS Plates **THE FACTS**

I know I planned on pics, but events conspired to make that impossible. My DSLR is broken (of course no one in the house has any idea how that happened) and the pics I took with my cell phone are so blurry you can't read the numbers or even see the pointer I attached to my shift lever.
The numbers I have are lower than JB's, because I measured from lower on the shaft, but the percentage change should still be the same.
I used a tape measure, which in theory could go to 32nds of an inch, but I decided that was ridiculous and rounded everything up to the next 16th. The distances are from the center column. I was careful to pick a repeatable spot to put the end of the tape so things would be consistent.
Please remember that my measuring location is much lower than JB's so the throws are shorter.
I ended up with percentages that are closer than JB's, but still show a significant difference between the two parts. I did this three times because I don't believe that JB would have offered to let someone do this test if he didn't expect the same results that he got. I ended up with the same percentages (give or take a point or two - shifter slop) every time. I cannot account for the difference between my results and his. The starting numbers are distance from the center console.

*******Stock**JBarone**Jspeed
Neutral**7.875**7.625****7.5
Third****6.25***6.5625***6.25
--------------------------------
Throw***1.625***1.0625***1.25

******JBarone****Jspeed
******1.625******1.625
******-1.0625****-1.25
------------------------
Change**.5625*****.375

Change divided by original gives percentage change.
.5625/1.625 = 35%
.375/1.625 = 23%

So my measurements show that
JBarone reduces throw by 35%.
Jspeed reduces throw by 23%.

I have spoken with Jamie on the phone and he is eager to get the JSpeed unit back so that he can perform the test again to see either where he went wrong or if he gets the same results.
Bear in mind that shifter slop and variations from car to car could account for much of the difference in results. The main thing to take from this is that there is a significant difference between the two, it just looks like that difference isn't quite as big as originally thought.

Here are his results from the page before...

New #'s

I spent 2 solid hours last night working on this.
There is no doubt in my mind as to the accuracy of these #'s.

Here's what I got:

Neutral (Unchanged)

Neutral = 6.75
3rd = 4.75
Difference = 2

JBARONE (Changed)

Neutral = 6.625
3rd = 5.37
Difference = 1.255
Reduction = 37.25%

JSPEED (Changed)

Neutral = 6.625
3rd = 5.03
Difference = 1.595
Reduction = 20.25%

I spent some time with the JSPEED adjusting the location of neutral and found that the throw can be increased by .30% to 20.55% by locating it all the way forward or all the way back. The JBARONE has no adjustment for the location of neutral.

An important side note...After installing the JSPEED 3-4 times between Mid_life and myself, I found that the material is crushed badly by the mounting bolts. This is similar to someone removing it and reinstalling it for dealer visits.

Thanks,
Jamie

An important side note...After installing the JSPEED 3-4 times between Mid_life and myself, I found that the material is crushed badly by the mounting bolts. This is similar to someone removing it and reinstalling it for dealer visits.

Thanks,
Jamie

Hmmm thats good to know. Thanks.

Edit: Serious, not sarcastic.

JB sent an upgrade kit to me for testing because he knows that I will give an honest evaluation and he is confident it will be a good one.
Forget boot clearance issues. They are no longer a consideration.
There is only one potential problem due to manufacturing tolerances (Mazda's) and it is easily corrected if it impacts you.
When I installed the plate with the upgrade (I had been running my own Rotus mod) I noticed that second gear did not feel right. It made it into gear, but the throw was off somehow, like it wasn't moving as far as fourth and sixth. I checked under the hood and it turned out that the arm that moves you from one slot to the other was contacting the plate in second gear. I took a prybar (read large screwdriver) and bent it a quarter of an inch towards the driver's fenderwell and presto, it was like a new shifter. The thing is flat out awesome. Now I understand why some people rave about this plate and some are like, "yeah it works, but...". If you bought one and took it out, do yourself a favor, get the upgrade kit, bend that arm just a little bit like I did and you will fall in love with this mod the way everyone else has.

it turned out that the arm that moves you from one slot to the other was contacting the plate in second gear. I took a prybar (read large screwdriver) and bent it a quarter of an inch towards the driver's fenderwell and presto

which arm is that in the below pic?

IMG_7119.jpg

IMG_7119-a.jpg

To clarify what Mid-Life is saying, is that for some reason Mazda is not making all the shift linkage identical. Notice in the photo above that the linkage I have the arrow drawn on is leaning to the right a bit. Some are leaning to the left or not at all. A minor tweak as Mid_Life indicated is all it takes.

Thanks,
Jamie

Hey sorry to wake an old thread, but would you be able to repost the picture of shift linkage that can be bent to improve shifts? Would this help with the popping out of second gear issue? I already have the JBarone SSP+Heavy shift knob but still have issues with it popping out of 2nd from time to time. Thanks in advance.

I had issues popping out of second gear due to my synchros being shot along with second gear. Are you grinding any worse than normal?

There is no linkage that can be bent to improve shifting or prevent it from popping out of second. Like mentioned above I'm afraid you have a synro or some other internal issue.

Sorry,
Jamie

Hey sorry to wake an old thread, but would you be able to repost the picture of shift linkage that can be bent to improve shifts? Would this help with the popping out of second gear issue? I already have the JBarone SSP+Heavy shift knob but still have issues with it popping out of 2nd from time to time. Thanks in advance.

Is it under heavy braking?

I had issues popping out of second gear due to my synchros being shot along with second gear. Are you grinding any worse than normal?

I am not really grinding. I just have issues when in 2nd gear and letting the engine slow the car down. About 50% of the time it pops out of gear and grinds.

Back