Is the MSP engine the same one out of the Ford Focus?

Why is that? Ford owns Mazda...it would make sense. It wouldnt be the first time engines were shared to cross platforms. (ie. LS1 in Camaro and Firebird)

bestmazda01 said:
absolutely not the same engine. teh mazda is fs-de. the ford is duratec

*sigh of relief* i love my mazda again...BTW does it share a chassis with any other maker out there???

why you hating on the duratec, i bet it can take boost better than our POS FS. People think foci suck, someone who knows what they are doing with one would blow your doors off.

European focus (which we're not getting yet) = Mazda 3 = Volvo's little one.

Well, sort of. They were all co-developed.

on 2003.5 MSP, look at the brake light on the wing, it says Ford on it

i thought that was funny

i wish we had a duratec motor.
they can take boost way better than FSDE.

Dr.Sound said:
SVT handles pretty much as well as MSP.

correct. 33%.
Hey, now...
With its first offering, MazdaSpeed has achieved near greatness with the Protege. According to Walton, its "chassis is an inspired piece of work with balance, stiffness, compliance, and precise steering." Lapping the Streets of Willow Springs, the Protege exhibited great poise--neutral and confident in all respects. "The Protege felt as tossable as the Focus, but with an even sharper edge to it," says Walton. "I could drive it way deeper into the turns and take it much faster through the corners than the Dodge or Focus." In fact, the Mazda's chassis was so good that it had us musing about how killer the Protege would be with just a bit more power.

hehe, i know yash.
i would never take SVT over MSP.
it just sux that SVT has a better motor, better tranny, WAY better LSD, better exhaust, better seats, better ECU....for less money.

But the SVT still looks like an egg! I think it looks worse than a neon. I have heard tons of people praise the handling of our cars, my freinds with SRT's wanted the MSP but the power wasnt there.

Let's clear a few things up...the 2.0L Ford ZETEC and the 2.0L Mazda FS-DET are COMPLETELY different, INCLUDING THE BLOCK. If anything, the Zetec is a tougher motor than the ancient FS(which btw was originally a truck motor)....The new 2.3L Duratec and the Mazda 2.3L MZR are basically the same, with a few small differences...The Protege is definitely a better handling car than the Focus, in basically EVERY similar trim DX>SE, ES>ZX3,P5>ZX5,MSP>SVT....

Ford owns exactly 33.4% of Mazda, exactly what Japan requires to have CONTROLLING interest in a company, which is not full ownership, but just as good, because it's cheaper, but still allows you to have the final say so...And if Japanese law changes and requires a higher amount to have controlling interest, Ford WILL up the ante right along with the law.

The European Focus we are NEVER getting.

(weakest)

Back