Is it just me? The Protege5 goes thru headlight bulbs like its food

I used to burn out lightbulbs several times per year. Then I stopped using my headlights during the day and magically they only burn out maybe once per year. This is still too often though.

I pose this question: For those people who are burning out fast, do you have any aftermarket amplifiers drawing off the battery? I have two amps and I know they make the lights flicker. That can't be good for the longevity of the bulbs.

i recently made the exact same post about my bulbs blowing really quickly.and i got the same response 'GO HID's". someone mentioned that some p5's have a ground issue? maybe we're of the unlucky few?

I am all stock. It was going through bulbs every 6 months with Sylvania Silverstar. I went to GE regular and it was about 9 months. Since then I have switched to the $9.99 (per bulb) regular Phillips from Meijer and I just had to replace the passenger bulb last week, but it lasted 4 years! The driver side is still going strong.

I also have a lot of deposit on the battery terminal (negative side).

Im on my second P5, and the first one I had went through several sets of bulbs, some of which were silverstars. I wont ever buy them again, since the brighter light seems to shorten the life quite a bit.

What I found was that it had a lot to do with how I was positioning the bulb in the headlight, since its somewhat of a strange mounting/securing mechanism in there. After going through a GE bulb, then the silverstars, then back to a Phillps bulb (all on the drivers side), I realized that I wasnt really seating the bulb well in the headlight.

I sold that car to my gf, and she just now had that one blow out, but it was changed last over 3 years ago, so thats pretty good IMHO.

So maybe its the vibrations that can get transferred if its not seated properly that messes with the filaments?

in other news, my p5 ate another bulb, this time the bulb exploded so now ive got nice shiny bluish glass all over the inside of the housing

purchased in sept 2003. Just under 50k miles. I've had to replace one (1) low beam bulb. That's it... touch wood. Also, I know it's not good to start your car with your headlights on. I've always started the car, then turned on my lights. Might that help?
goddam I knew as soon as I posted this that I was asking for trouble. Sure enough a couple night ago... driver H7 goes out. Anyone thinking about tempting fate, take my advice and just don't lol.

My passenger side just blew out last night! I seem to change them every 6 months...

I am ordering Apexcone HIDs this week :)

Damn this thread. I read this last Thursday and thought to myself, "It's been a while since I've had to replace any headlights". Sure enough, Friday morning as I was driving to work I noticed one less reflection on the car in front of me. Last set of lights lasted me 2 years (give or take) and even survived an accident.

If anyone wants some spare bulbs, i gotcha covered. I think i have 6 H7 stockers in the garage not being used anymore.

It is really just weird. I blew one of mine last week, and everyday, and I mean everyday, I see at least one car on the street like me driving with one headlight on. Because of the cold weather? That just doesn't make sense....

Josh

Damn this thread. I read this last Thursday and thought to myself, "It's been a while since I've had to replace any headlights". Sure enough, Friday morning as I was driving to work I noticed one less reflection on the car in front of me. Last set of lights lasted me 2 years (give or take) and even survived an accident.

Exactly! This thread is cursed. I Move to delete!!!! All in favor raise your hand

Hello everybody, just got my protege 5 about 3 weeks ago. 2002, white, 5spd, 110km's. I joined this forum about the same time. Read this thread about 2 weeks ago. My driver side low beam just went out. I think this thread is definitely cursed:D

Back