Is it just me? The Protege5 goes thru headlight bulbs like its food

mnkyboy

Since I purchased my Protege 5 brand new in Dec 2001, Ive had to replace the headlight bulbs every 8-9 mths. It has been the single most expensive maintaince item Ive had to purchase for this car. Ive tried (3) different brands and different models. It seems like the more expensive the bulb, the shorter they last. I just had my passenger side headlight go out last night, lucklily I have a bulb on the way from Amazon.com B1G1F sale on GE bulbs.

Is there something I may be doing wrong when installing? Is it just how these bulbs are or is it a design flaw on the Protege 5?

Are you touching the Lens of the bulb..The glass part?
If so....DOnt..and if you do..Clean it off with alcohol prior to install.

Its actually wise to clean it off even if YOU didnt touch it..Hard telling who did while it was getting made...Even though I am sure they shouldnt be touched while packaged.

Are you touching the Lens of the bulb..The glass part?
If so....DOnt..and if you do..Clean it off with alcohol prior to install.

Its actually wise to clean it off even if YOU didnt touch it..Hard telling who did while it was getting made...Even though I am sure they shouldnt be touched while packaged.

nope, im always careful not to touch. After posting this thread, i found a similar thread and it seems this is very common issue for the Protege5.

Nope, P5's have an appetite for headlights. For each bulb they eat, they gain 1bhp. My P5 is up to 230hp at the wheels.

Since owning our P5 for 3 years we've replaced the headlights once. (dunno) Is this due to some electrical surge or something?

I do notice a lot of white powder buildup around my battery terminals. I dont know what the name for this is. Ive cleaning the terminals several times over the years and also sprayed some battery stuff on them (red spray, forget whats its called). Sometimes I wonder if the high humidity here in Louisiana is the cause for bulb fairly, but it hasnt been very humid lately.

purchased in sept 2003. Just under 50k miles. I've had to replace one (1) low beam bulb. That's it... touch wood. Also, I know it's not good to start your car with your headlights on. I've always started the car, then turned on my lights. Might that help?

Ive tried (3) different brands and different models. It seems like the more expensive the bulb, the shorter they last. I just had my passenger side headlight go out last night, lucklily I have a bulb on the way from Amazon.com B1G1F sale on GE bulbs.

Maybe you should try buying OEM Mazda bulbs. I had to replace one in 6 yrs.

I do notice a lot of white powder buildup around my battery terminals. I dont know what the name for this is.

Corrosion? Also, if you're near the Gulf of Mexico, you might be getting more corrosion due to the salty air.

Since I purchased my Protege 5 brand new in Dec 2001, Ive had to replace the headlight bulbs every 8-9 mths.

Every 8-9 months really isn't considered short. :p

I burnt my first one after 6 months. Now I am going for HID.

I think it's actually true that brighter bulb burns quicker as it push closer to the electrical limit, which is more vulnerable to voltage spike.

Josh

i must be lucky then lol. im still running the bulbs that came with my p5 and its almost been a whole year since i baught it. DRL's and all. Might be time to get into some hids though. maybe your car is telling you somthing ;)

I've owned my p5 for a year and a half and have replaced 3 bulbs in that time (or maybe an even 4, I can't remember). I have Osram silverstars in now, and they are supposed to be one of the better bulbs for longevity, but we'll see.

On a side note, I'm not calling you out forcefed, just asking a question...how would oil from your hands on the outside of a bulb cause the filament inside to burn out quicker? It seems to me that the only think it could cause is the glass to heat unevenly and fracture, burning out the bulb. However, most burnouts that occur aren't as a result of any exterior cracking of the glass, but instead the burning of the filament with the glass intact. This makes me wonder if the conventional wisdom that touching a bulb makes it burn out faster is correct.

i must be lucky then lol. im still running the bulbs that came with my p5 and its almost been a whole year since i baught it. DRL's and all. Might be time to get into some hids though. maybe your car is telling you somthing ;)

a year old? I take it you bought it used. If so, no telling how many times the previous owner has changed the bulbs :)

As for HID kit, I dont think its worth the money for me to install it now.

1. The cheapest kit I found was $100. I can get standard bulbs (2) for $25-30. If they last 9 mths, then it would take 2.5 years before the HID kit would break even with standard bulbs. Then I would have to hope that the cheapo $100 HID kit would actually last that long. Im not even sure I will be keeping the car but maybe for another 2-3 years (Ive been having it for 7 years now, still loving it)

2. One of the biggest annoyances when driving is the jackasses that have those bright HIDs installed incorrectly and blind the hell out of me. I dont want to be one of those people, plus it maybe illegal here (not sure).

For those looking for bulbs, Amazon has some GE Nighthawk on sale, Buy 1 Get 1 free. Plus you get a $5 rebate, making it $15 for (2) bulbs. Pretty good deal. Never used these bulbs before, but GE makes other quality stuff.

EDIT:

Anyone use the light bulbs grease that the auto parts stores sell? Im curious if that helps bulb life.

Last edited:
ur lucky

ive replaced all 4 of my front bulbs at least once in 2 years

i think the drivers side low beam 3 times!

Since I purchased my Protege 5 brand new in Dec 2001, Ive had to replace the headlight bulbs every 8-9 mths. It has been the single most expensive maintaince item Ive had to purchase for this car. Ive tried (3) different brands and different models. It seems like the more expensive the bulb, the shorter they last. I just had my passenger side headlight go out last night, lucklily I have a bulb on the way from Amazon.com B1G1F sale on GE bulbs.

Is there something I may be doing wrong when installing? Is it just how these bulbs are or is it a design flaw on the Protege 5?

My guess is some issue with the alternator voltage output. Most likely poor voltage regulation (could be a problem with the regulator...)

After coming back from a drive, I would leave the car running and check the voltage output (measured at battery terminals, and any other place you might like to check, head light terminals would be good, but not easy to get at). If the car has been sitting over a period of time, upon first starting, the voltage will start at 12V and increase up to 13-14V as the battery charges. A shop electronic battery tester can also test voltage ripple and other things while the car is running.

Maybe have someone rev the engine and see how much change in voltage there is, not sure what the normal is, but I've seen some head lights rated up to 19V. Anything higher than the bulbs rated operating voltage will shorten their life.

Can anyone confirm?

Last edited:
For the folks who go through a lot of bulbs - does it tend to happen when it rains, or even if it is just very humid? Water and hot bulbs tend not to get along so well.

For the folks who go through a lot of bulbs - does it tend to happen when it rains, or even if it is just very humid? Water and hot bulbs tend not to get along so well.

Well I live in Southern Louisiana, so its usually pretty humid here. My passenger side bulb went out the other day, hasnt rained in awhile and it hasnt been very humid.

Back