Installing the Spin on Oil Conversion??

D_Roc7822

Ok so this has been bugging me.. can anyone tell me step by step how to install the spin on Oil conversion kit for the speed3? I tried looking up how to do it, both using the search tool and the how to section but to no avail. So any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have all the stuff.. the oil filter from a tribute with the 2.3l and 6 quarts of mobil 1 5w30.. all I need now is the how to do it. Ill prolly be kicking myself in the nuts when I realize how easy it is but for right now, Im a lil worried about doing the install. Thanks in advance.

if you have to ask, then it's probably too challenging for you
I did it on a mz5 myself and it wasn't a walk in the park, although it's not totally involved like an engine or transmission tear down, but it wasn't super easy that's for sure

Ok so this has been bugging me.. can anyone tell me step by step how to install the spin on Oil conversion kit for the speed3? I tried looking up how to do it, both using the search tool and the how to section but to no avail. So any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have all the stuff.. the oil filter from a tribute with the 2.3l and 6 quarts of mobil 1 5w30.. all I need now is the how to do it. Ill prolly be kicking myself in the nuts when I realize how easy it is but for right now, Im a lil worried about doing the install. Thanks in advance.

There is one screw on top that secures the cooler to the filter housing, there are four screws that hold the filter housing to the block.

That is really all you need to know, remove the old one, replace with the new one. Use the new gasket. Don't twist off any screws.

It really is that easy.

if you have to ask, then it's probably too challenging for you
I did it on a mz5 myself and it wasn't a walk in the park, although it's not totally involved like an engine or transmission tear down, but it wasn't super easy that's for sure

lol you crack me up, I always love to hear what you have to say. I found a how to on the other forum.. but thanks to the 2 people who replied.

whats the advantage of using the spin on filter? and what model filter will you be using from now on to fit the new housing?

whats the advantage of using the spin on filter? and what model filter will you be using from now on to fit the new housing?

Im using the filter from a 2007 tribute with the 2.3L. I was in a hurry to get a filter so I just picked up fram one. Next time, Ill prolly go with a wix or mobil one filter. Or maybe a K & N one. And it just makes it easier to change your oil is all it does really.

Im using the filter from a 2007 tribute with the 2.3L. I was in a hurry to get a filter so I just picked up fram one. Next time, Ill prolly go with a wix or mobil one filter. Or maybe a K & N one. And it just makes it easier to change your oil is all it does really.

Don't waste your money on the K&N, it is just the Mobil 1 filter with a nut welded on the bottom.
-enganear

enganear did you put more oil after conversion or its the same amount??

Sorry, I have everything ready for the next oil change, but have not done it yet. I expect it to take a little more oil because I am using the larger filter for the reasons discussed in the referenced thread.
-enganear

I always love to hear what you have to say.

i don't. he's like a hemorrhoid. he'd be gone long ago if it was my forum. having knowledge doesn't entitle anyone to be inflammatory to other members, especially ones asking legitimate questions while getting started.

anyway, regarding oil level- i put 6qts in mine after i did the conversion. it probably could have taken a 10th or so less. next time i'm going to do like 5.75ish and see where it's at after a startup.

enganear did you put more oil after conversion or its the same amount??

I think you put in a lil bit more than with the cartidge, but thats just what I think I remember seeing on here while doing my research. If it is, its not much. Do a search and I know your find it, should have the title of to those with the spin on conversion or something like that.

i don't. he's like a hemorrhoid. he'd be gone long ago if it was my forum. having knowledge doesn't entitle anyone to be inflammatory to other members, especially ones asking legitimate questions while getting started.

anyway, regarding oil level- i put 6qts in mine after i did the conversion. it probably could have taken a 10th or so less. next time i'm going to do like 5.75ish and see where it's at after a startup.
misc10.jpg

if pussy footing around everything is your style, go for it... I don't have time for that s***... you can say that if it's a stupid thread I'd say something nasty in, I should ignore it... and ignore I do as I don't have time for that either... but there ARE some threads that do need attention as people who post in them either send the original poster in the wrong direction or the original poster is getting himself into deep s***... I don't care if you or anyone thinks that telling people to STOP because it seems they're incapable/incompetent to do what they want to do is harsh... if these bullish remarks are what it takes to stop people from ******* up their cars that they used their hard earned money on and wasting more money in the end, then so be it

as for this particular subject matter, there hasn't been a true how-to written for THIS style of oil filter mount, only the non-cooled ones... since that hasn't been done, I'm inclined to tell all n00bs to leave this s*** alone and let someone more knowledgeable do this for you or have someone come over to your place to help! this *may* change when there's a how-to written

Last edited:
it's NOT the same
since the ms3 has an oil cooler, it's a bit more involving than just changing the mount... you have to unbolt the oil cooler and move it out of the way, that's IF you can get to the oil cooler bolt... trust me, it's NOT easy

like I said, if you have to ask even after you looked at the car (and couldn't figure it out), then it's probably too difficult for you to do this

Listen to what TheMAN has to say or be afraid, be very afraid. Expose your ignorance to TheMAN and he will smite you until you desist. Rejoice that TheMAN sees fit to correct your errant thoughts.

Back