Installing Springs...

Hopefully i get instructions with mine... Im gonna do mine on base at the hobby shop and its about $5 an hour for the lift. so i am PLANNING to knock out my ball joints, springs, brakes, and TIP in a day... Atleast the first 3.

As far as the springs flying off... Thats what i always wonder about when i think about springs..

Hopefully i get instructions with mine... Im gonna do mine on base at the hobby shop and its about $5 an hour for the lift. so i am PLANNING to knock out my ball joints, springs, brakes, and TIP in a day... Atleast the first 3.

As far as the springs flying off... Thats what i always wonder about when i think about springs..

You will be able to get all 4 projects done at the same time...especially if you have access to a lift. The TIP will be the easiest job...

As far as springs "flying off", don't sweat it. If you use the spring compressors the right way, the worst thing that will happen is the powdercoating on the new springs might get marred, depending on the style. That's it.

Once you relieve the load from the springs (when the car is in the air), you'll find it is actually a very easy job. And just to repeat the obvious...use air tools...

Good Luck man...I'd have gladly lent a hand if you were closer to this side of the world.

Exactly what Rez said. Those rear springs on a lift won't be under any compression, and when you drop the LCA's, they'll slide right out. I did the whole install in my garage on jack stands without issue. Air tools & beer made the job go smoothly. You'll also know very easily if you have the spring compressed enough to remove the top nut.

I will look for the ABJ instructions again tonight when I get home from work. I have a pdf saved somewhere and will attach it here for you if need be.

AWDRACER6--I PM'd you with the instructions, and where to find them, if necessary.

MODS: I didn't know if it was within the rules to post for SPC Performance (ball joint maker), and their website, where they have the instructions available--for model #67115 ABJ.

Anywhoo, Steve should have said "air tools & good beer". Don't break out the 16-pack of Keystone ICE for this install...

Last edited:
AWDRACER6--I PM'd you with the instructions, and where to find them.

Steve should have said "air tools & good beer". Don't break out the 16-pack of Keystone ICE for this one...

Good call Rez, don't skimp on the beverages.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Well, it almost sounds like i need beer! I have a CRX i need to install coil overs on also so i need to make sure i do this right... I have never really been worried about screwin anything up tell this. Will i be able to drive 15 minutes to les scwab after i finish so i can get an alignment? I know steve said he drove for a week so i am asuming i will be fine

Yes, you can drive the 15 minutes to get an alignment. If you're paying for the alignments I'd actually encourage you to drive for a couple weeks to help the springs settle a bit before you get the alignment. Otherwise you'll have to get it realigned likely after they settle.

I drove a week and threw my car up on the rack to check it out and everything came out perfect with no need for adjustment at all! So that's always a possibility for you, too.

My toe was off slightly, which could have been out before the springs went on. Your results may vary...

By the way, hookers, blow, and booze ain't cheap. Don't take the easy road out.

Yea, without an alignment the only thing you'll hurt is the tires...and you'll potentially get worse gas mileage depending on how far out you are (not too bad, but noticeable).

Again, a week or two of driving around won't hurt you in the long run. Just don't drive around drunk, high, and with a hooker on your lap.

Haha, so i know about springs and other important things in life... All learned in a couple days...Nice!

Ok guys so i installed the H&Rs...Now, what about the Ball Joints? I didnt have access to a computer where i was so i couldnt get on and research, but how do i know which way they go??? It says to adjust one way install this way, and to adjust this way install the other way....How do i know which way i need to adjust? lol... And, i started a new thread forgeting about this one, but my tires r rubbing on the plastic on the inner fender. Anyone have that?

It's easy--Hold the ball joint in front of you...big lock nut on top, crown bolt & cotter pin on the bottom, and that's how it goes in.

The slide is mounted so that camber can be adjusted--in for negative (towards the engine), out for positive (away from the engine). In other words, mount it perpendicular--side to side orientation.

It would have been much easier to have done all of the work at once, but the results will be the same.

Can't wait to see the pics man...

Back