If you could change one thing...

I just hope they will replace the power door lock actuators to get rid of that weird noise after unlocking. Problem affects at least 15, 16.5 & 18 MY, and in the latter case on multiple doors (yes, stereo effect!)

Right after doors are unlocked, the actuators would operate for 1s or so (which I believe is normal, although I have no idea what they're doing during that 1 second), and it's within this second that the noise occurs. Very annoying, every time I get into my CX-5 I would pray that I'm not getting the strange noise, but 1 time out of 5 in vain.

I wish Mazda would offer paddle shifters on the CX5, like they do on the Mazda6 and Mazda3

Power folding outside mirrors (like they have in Japan)

Ambient interior LED lighting like the X5 I had (company car)

Forward parking cameras (coming soon as per 2018 Mazda6)

I wish Mazda would offer paddle shifters on the CX5, like they do on the Mazda6 and Mazda3

Power folding outside mirrors (like they have in Japan)

Ambient interior LED lighting like the X5 I had (company car)

Forward parking cameras (coming soon as per 2018 Mazda6)

Why on the folding mirrors? I mean, it's fancy and all, but?

Not for me. I'll be avoiding any turbo if possible. Besides 2.5T is not fuel efficient with a turbo. A 2.0T for CX-5 makes more sense as it can have about the same power but more fuel efficient.

Agreed. It doesn't have to be a/the 2.5T. That's the awesome thing with a turbo. If you want more power, just turn up the boost. Look at Honda and their 1.5T and 2.0T. They are each used in several cars and make several different HP numbers depending on the vehicle.

The 1.5T is in the Civic/SI/SportHatch, Accord, and CRV. In these cars, it makes 174hp [16.5 psi], 192hp [20.2 psi], and 205hp [20.3 psi/93 oct]. The Accord's 2.0T makes 252hp on 20.8psi, but the Type R's 2.0T makes 305hp [23.2 psi]. It is all about the tuning. I'd tell you about VW use of their 1.8t and 2.0t engines, but I don't have all day.

A 2.0T in the CX-5 with mild boost (14.7 psi/1 bar) would probably be spot on perfect. Sure, people are going to talk about lag and what not, but you can engineer that out with tuning and turbo/turbine size. There are tradeoffs and there will always be tradeoffs. Leave the 2.5T in the CX-9. Develop a 2.0T for the CX-5 and '3 and '6. Mazda can leave the 2.5NA motor as a nice solid base powerplant, but then turn it up a notch with a 2.0T and give consumers a choice.

Since Mazda don't make any other petrol engine with a turbo, the 2.5T is the only way to go.

As for efficiency, I agree it's not that much better than the NA engine but take a look at the figures on 6, it's not that much worse.

Why on the folding mirrors? I mean, it's fancy and all, but?

Beneficial in tight parking spaces in multi-level carparks not to mention when parked on narrow streets, helps prevent them being knocked off by cars driving by (moving cars mirror hits an unfolded parked car mirrors)

Beneficial in tight parking spaces in multi-level carparks not to mention when parked on narrow streets, helps prevent them being knocked off by cars driving by (moving cars mirror hits an unfolded parked car mirrors)

I guess it's a regional thing. I've never lived where that matters. Some people do though.

I guess it's a regional thing. I've never lived where that matters. Some people do though.

The UK is bad for narrow roads and the power folding mirrors are a godsend. Been in quite a few situations where a country road is only wide enough for just under 2 cars and no passing places (especially holidaying on the Isle of Wight). Cars are gradually getting wider with each generation. For example, a new VW Polo is now as big as first or second generation Golf. There has to be a limit sometime?

Indeed. Not all roads not to mention parking stations are the same here.

My garage is pretty narrow. I was glad that my Mazda 6 had folding mirrors otherwise it's difficult to manoeuvre past it. Glad we also get it here on the CX-5.

My 2018 Touring seats... The seat has less than 2k miles on it and it is already creaking when i move around on drives. Between that and the center console lid, i am starting to lose my mind with the interior noise. Everything on the car seems so solid, but this noise is about to find its way to a dealer...

I thought I wanted a Pano roof and surely would have got one had I gone Cherokee... but a friend of mine with a Pano roof was like "Meh. It's great if your in the second row. As a driver, it's just like a normal sunroof. You're welcome passengers!" lol

Most people would say replace 2.5 NA with 2.5T

And yet, only a few have. ;)

Unobtanium got 22MPG going over 70? I got 28.6 doing 75 on the way to Columbus Monday hauling 100's of pounds of paper. I don't think it's possible to get 22 in my car on a freeway. Must have a Unicorn.

@GoFrogs: Isn't it PULL to swipe?

@Iskie: what do you mean by the visor blocking the rearview?

@Murky: nice try T-Rex. :D

What would I change in my 16: add heated steering wheel, rear AC vents, maybe rear heated seats even though they'd so rarely get used, maybe a reclining back seat... maybe even a HUD if I was really going to dream big... err... wait a minute... (sad1)

[SERIOUS] There is one thing I want and thought I had when I first got the car... those European Headlights that auto adjust and don't blind oncoming cars. ALL CARS should have those.

Since Mazda don't make any other petrol engine with a turbo, the 2.5T is the only way to go.

As for efficiency, I agree it's not that much better than the NA engine but take a look at the figures on 6, it's not that much worse.
Look at how much penalty 2018 Mazda6 has to pay on fuel economy for a 2.5L turbo: from 29/26/35 on a 2.5L to 26/23/31 combined/city/hwy on a 2.5T based on EPA estimates!

A 2.0T can easily achieves 227hp a 2.5T gets and matches the EPA FE estimates of a 2.5L with proper tuning and programming. And how difficult adding a turbo to an existing SA-G 2.0L with Mazda's experience of 2.5T? The most expensive expense may be to get it certified by EPA!

I thought I wanted a Pano roof and surely would have got one had I gone Cherokee... but a friend of mine with a Pano roof was like "Meh. It's great if your in the second row. As a driver, it's just like a normal sunroof. You're welcome passengers!" lol

And yet, only a few have. ;)

Unobtanium got 22MPG going over 70? I got 28.6 doing 75 on the way to Columbus Monday hauling 100's of pounds of paper. I don't think it's possible to get 22 in my car on a freeway. Must have a Unicorn.

@GoFrogs: Isn't it PULL to swipe?

@Iskie: what do you mean by the visor blocking the rearview?

@Murky: nice try T-Rex. :D

What would I change in my 16: add heated steering wheel, rear AC vents, maybe rear heated seats even though they'd so rarely get used, maybe a reclining back seat... maybe even a HUD if I was really going to dream big... err... wait a minute... (sad1)

[SERIOUS] There is one thing I want and thought I had when I first got the car... those European Headlights that auto adjust and don't blind oncoming cars. ALL CARS should have those.

It all depends. First leg of the trip was 26-7mpg. Then the wind kicked up and this little tiny thing just ran out of nuts. It's gutless on the freeway is the problem.

If it's windy enough to knock off 6 mpg it's probably not safe to be driving. :D

ALH or something similar has been blocked by our DOT and NHTSA citing "too expensive" even though Toyota and Audi USA had filed petitions 3~4 years ago! Yeah I wish we can have ALH too which definitely would improve the safety greatly. Also it would be a more reliable system than our current AFS with no mechanical moving parts.

Just one thing:
-Ventilated front seats

Bunch of things:
-Rear camera guide lines that turn
-Illuminated power window switches
-Illuminated moonroof switch
-Illuminated commander wheel
-Illuminated buttons on Homelink rearview mirror
-One-touch up/down on all 4 windows
-Seat memory also adjusts side view mirror
-Folding side view mirrors
-CD player
-Less noise from sunrook wind block
-Infotainment:
----Owner's Manual (searchable) on-screen
----Faster boot time
----Display TPMS pressure in each wheel
-HUD:
----Totally configurable
----Display current gear
----Display HOLD for Auto Hold function

Hm... SweetPete. Another Ohioan. That's 4 that I'm aware of + one former Ohioan (the dude now in Cali) on Mazdas247. Looking like almost a majority here, too. :D

O - H!

Latest posts

Back