HOW-TO: Removing A/C system

Hmm my AC has not worked since last summer and I want to take it out so I might be heading to get it purged and remove it. thanks for the write up.

Sorry for the thread jack but for those of you removing ur AC systems I am looking for a condensor and a ac line as well. if n eof you can help would be great!
Thanks!

Great how-to

why did u cut the lines rather than taking out the interior piece?

it gives the fan a lil more speed and removes a nice chunk of weight...
Do you happen to know what needs to be removed under the Dash?
*ahem* anywho... let me know if i missed anything or if you have any questions about the process!

Kevin
Is there a relay that should be removed or any fuses that would get rid of the power going to the Compressor or the Dryer?

Do you happen to know what needs to be removed under the Dash?

Is there a relay that should be removed or any fuses that would get rid of the power going to the Compressor or the Dryer?

i don't know exactly what needs to be removed from under the dash, i'm thinking that you get at the stuff from behind the glove compartment, but like i said, i'm not sure, sorry
when i do my engine swap (hopefully in a couple of months or so) i'll see what i can get at when i do that.

and for the power issue, i just disconnected my battery, i always do when i'm working on anything engine related, just plain 'ol safe! :)

Okay...
Removed my A/C This week-end! The removal took me about 2 Hours, but that's because I was Cleaning my car, and changing my oil at the same time...
Everything under the hood came out smoothly, very easy and very straight forward with the how to written above!
Under the dash was pretty easy as well!
Remove the glove box, remove the 2 Bolts holding the A/C Box in place, wiggle it out. From here You will need a friend to feed the A/C line from the engine bay through the firewall... there are 2 Lines, one splits just before the firewall, the other on the A/C Core...
Once you get the lines fed through the firewall, there are 5-6 Screws to remove to seperate the "Air Box". Once seperated the A/C core comes right out!
Join the box back together, block the A/C lines off with some Duct Tape, then put the foam back on, I stuck mine with some 2-Way Tape.
Reinstall box, and the Glove Box, and Voila!
A/C is removed... and really... only about 30 min of work to get the box out.
I also removed my Relay for the A/C from the Fuse box under the hood.
Haven't driven the car long enough to notice any real benefits... but i'm sure in the long run my car will be happier :)

well awesome! thanks for the help with the a/c core behind the firewall!
You are already 1/2 way there because you cut your line!
You won't need a friend to feed the line to you... just to hold your beer (2thumbs)
Now... to sell the stuff... better get some pics I think...

Got a quick question that I may repost and give some more info on:

My wife's 2000 Protege had her alt belt bust and fly all over the engine bay. Well after installing both belts new, I found that her A/C did not work (or did not blow cold).

Now, I look at the A/C Compressor and notice that there is a wiring harness comeing out of the front of it with three (3) wires total. Two of the wires are connected to each other with plastic connectors, however there is a third wire that has about a foot of slack on it that is not connected to anything! (Its a male connector with a plastic sheath)

Background information: The Clutch does not engage while the A/C is on. With a tap on it with my finger while the engine is running it will make about a half of a rotation

Could this third "unexplained" plug be the power for the clutch electromagnets? If so, please somewhere tell me where it is supposed to plug into. I'm at my wits ends. I'll try to take a couple of pictures tomorrow to illustrate what I'm talking about. (This AC problem just HAS to be a simple one!)

Thanks--Matt

Now, I look at the A/C Compressor and notice that there is a wiring harness comeing out of the front of it with three (3) wires total. Two of the wires are connected to each other with plastic connectors, however there is a third wire that has about a foot of slack on it that is not connected to anything! (Its a male connector with a plastic sheath)

Background information: The Clutch does not engage while the A/C is on. With a tap on it with my finger while the engine is running it will make about a half of a rotation

Could this third "unexplained" plug be the power for the clutch electromagnets? If so, please somewhere tell me where it is supposed to plug into. I'm at my wits ends. I'll try to take a couple of pictures tomorrow to illustrate what I'm talking about. (This AC problem just HAS to be a simple one!)

Thanks--Matt
When I disconnected mine, there was a single wire near the Coolant hose I believe?? Sound About right? The "female" end should be right around there...

When I disconnected mine, there was a single wire near the Coolant hose I believe?? Sound About right? The "female" end should be right around there...

sounds like the right wire to me, we are talkign about the one facing the ad right off the compressor right? If that one wire is not hooked up your AC will not blow cold air.

Heres some pics showing what I'm looking at. I'm just stumped. ((Second glance, the "mystery" connector looks to be a female one... Any clues guys? I really don't want to take her to the shop in all honesty.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0513.jpg
    IMAG0513.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMAG0514.jpg
    IMAG0514.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 175
  • IMAG0515.jpg
    IMAG0515.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Awesome thread. I put my supercharger in place of the ac compressor. I'm going to take out the box
Behind the glove compartment tonight. Is there enough room to relocate the battey there? Oddesey small or optima?

i'm sure one of those small Braille batteries would fit in there; but i honestly don't know since i haven't taken the box out yet.

starting this process. done with the front-easy. Now moving in behind the glove box. I never use my a/c so why not, it's just one less thing my car has to run...

btw, First thing I checked was my refrigerant. LOL. Damn thing was completely empty! so no need to worry about spending extra $$$ here.

Got the Air Box out of the cab. Thanks "Tarmac Terrorist" :) for the write-up. BTW the "two bolts" are one at the top of the box and one at the bottom of the box, both mounting the box to the firewall. So i saw all the crap that got down into the air box and decided to put up some wire screen/grill that i had laying around to hopefully prevent anything entering the fan box. As for the "holes" in the firewall, I'm re-routing my 0/1ga. through the large hole and additional power wires through the other hole, a better fit. They come out where the large sensor used to be. Pulled the relay from the fuse box and re-connected all the sensors just in case. Thanks for the great write-up guys. My car should be alot happier!

Attachments

• IMG01396-20111219-1643.jpg
    IMG01396-20111219-1643.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG01402-20111219-1835.jpg
    IMG01402-20111219-1835.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG01410-20111219-1910.jpg
    IMG01410-20111219-1910.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG01413-20111220-0532.jpg
    IMG01413-20111220-0532.jpg