HOW-TO: Removing A/C system

KZL_99ES

Contributor
:
2005 VW Golf TDI
Alright, i've been meaning to make this thread for the longest time, ...and well now i actually have time to do it! yay!

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR NEED TO ADD SOMETHING THAT I MISSED, PLEASE READ THIS WHOLE POST FIRST! ...thanks! (spin)

ALSO: remember to read this whole how-to before you start doing anything so you make sure you have all the parts, tools and knowledge to successfully complete this task!

Remember, ALL the 3rd Gen protege's including the msp's have the same a/c setup, so everything should be the same for later model 3rd gen.

Also, this is not a COMPLETE removal, for that you need to remove all the filters and whatnot inside the car...which i didn't do...i think all of that stuff is behind the glove compartment, that part is up to you!

So first off, make sure your engine is off (duh!) and has cooled down;

tools needed: 8, 10, 12, and maybe 14mm sockets, phillips screwdriver, two adjustable wrenches, rubber mallet, wire clippers and/or fencing sheers (both are optional if you want to save your aluminium tubing), last is a new p/s belt, i'll show you that at the end!

IMG_0247.jpg

next, purge all of the fridgerant out by pushing down in on the pin using the screwdriver, it's under the blue cap near the oil dipstick here:

IMG_0225.jpg

also do this one too, near your passenger side headlight, just to make sure all of it is out...plus i think one is for sending and returning, but don't worry about that stuff, just purge them both!

IMG_0224.jpg

next, use the tensioner and loosen the bolt there so you can take off the old belt, once you've got the bolt loosened up all the way, use the rubber mallet and SOFTLY tap on the power steering to bump it down so the belt can be easily taken off.
(you'll want to loosen the bolt A LOT more than that)
(you'll also want to tap on this big bolt...
...................................\/ here)
IMG_0230.jpg

Take the belt off and do what you'd like with it,

next i'd take off your front grill, this makes everything a lot easier, at least it did for me, it made taking out the condenser easier.

IMG_0223.jpg

i'd also undo the bolts here too, both of the radiator bracing brackets so you can lean the radiator towards the engine for easier access to pull out the condenser:
IMG_0226.jpg

next start unbolting all the feed and return aluminium lines you can, use the adjustable wrenches here if you want to save the lines...
if you don't care and just want to scrap them, you can take my route and either use a hack saw, or one of the clippers to clip everything off, and IMO, it's not like you can sell this stuff you anyone anyway, so you might as well go the easy way!

(this one's right by the battery)
IMG_0228.jpg

(there's two by the passengers side firewall, near the cruse control(if you have it))
IMG_0229.jpg

(this is what i did, just clip them right off because i didn't want to deal with trying to unscrew it)
plus clipping them will essentially seal the opening shut which is good...i guess...
there's more inside the car, like the filter and stuff, but i didn't want to take that out, so sadly i can't show you how to do it...
IMG_0236.jpg

i just cut this one: and as you can see here, there's just one bolt and the other is a push fitting, which can prove difficult to pull out, just don't hurt yourself...
IMG_0233.jpg

this is from the bottom of the condenser, another bolt and push fitting:
IMG_0232.jpg

this is the refridgerant fluid catch can and because my bolts were really rusted, so i just clipped those to get it out of there, the electric plug i just electric taped it closed and tucked it away in with some other wires...
IMG_0227.jpg

next you should be able to pull out your condenser:
IMG_0234.jpg

So that should be everything for your a/c system lines and condenser, now for the compressor:
(i didn't take pics of it there...sorry, but there are i believe 8 bolts in total, either 12 or 14mm that should come off relatively easy,
four very long bolts that hold the compressor on and four short ones that hold on the mounting plate)
after the compressor is off, there is a mounting plate there, you can take that guy off too!
IMG_0248.jpg

next, you're going to want to pick up a new power steering belt that's 18mm X 985mm or 11/16" X 38 & 3/4"
NOTE! this belt size is only for the UNDERDRIVE Pulley, not for stock; if you have a stock crank pulley, simply go to the dealer for an A/C delete power steering belt.
here's proof of the size! lol
IMG_0245.jpg

when you put the belt on make sure it's on correctly and tighten down the the power steering using the tensioner i showed earlier, not too tight, look in your manual for specific specs on the tension.
IMG_0237.jpg

and last, this is what your new engine bay should look like! ...well sort of, i took out my a/c fan, ...BUT, if you wanted to, you could leave that fan in and splice the wiring so when your radiator fan turned on, instead of just one fan, it would run both fans, so in theory the engine would cool faster. i'd prob want slim fans for more space, but that's up to you!
IMG_0238.jpg

here's how small our stock radiators are... :(
we could have one twice as thick and still on the same frame!
IMG_0250.jpg

and i took off my bumper just to get a better angle at getting things off and on, also wanted to look where i'd put my fmic now with all that room!!! :p
my car looks kinda weird like this, lol
IMG_0235.jpg

*ahem* anywho... let me know if i missed anything or if you have any questions about the process!

Kevin

did you notice any difference with it out?

not a whole lot, but i'm sure it does help, your engine isn't working as hard to power another accessory... and the fact that you loose about 25lbs from removing everything, the compressor is the heaviest by far. so i guess there's that difference too...

great stuff! thanks. (2thumbs)

thanks! hope it helps!

you have some serious corrosion going on there, my car has never been in those conditions! i have never seen one bit of rust or corrosion anywhere on my car.

FYI, purging your refrigerant strait to atmosphere is A) illegal B) very bad for the environment... i'm no environmentalist (going catless soon) and would still never do that.

If your system has lost its charge due to a leak, by all means go for it, but i just feel this is a very irresponsible thing to choose to do. you can get the system professionally evacuated for a reasonable fee, and your grandchildren won't pay the price for it.

lol, bad for the environment?! i just inhaled everything that came out!!! now i have 6x the lung capacity and can freeze things with my breath!

but... no, my system did lose all charge, when i did this, the amount that came out was less then 5 seconds...which is prob why my a/c didn't work! lol

i'll think about this and edit my first post later...gotta to to work... :(

i'll do some research on what it cost exactly too.

but in all seriousness,

all of this is up to the one who is doing this, if they don't feel comfortable if it's illegal, or bad for the environment, then DON'T do it!

this is a how-to for your car, ...not your morals.

will this work for 2.0? I kind of want to do this. Ive never used my AC, even when it got to 110 last summer. Might as well remove it and gain some work space

the entire process is to gut anything AC related... thats about it. so yes.

Again, I must reiterate, PLEASE have your system properly evacuated at a shop.

the entire process is to gut anything AC related... thats about it. so yes.

Again, I must reiterate, PLEASE have your system properly evacuated at a shop.

Yea, my auto-tech teacher is gana use my car as a demo to teach us how to do it properly. All for free (2thumbs)

why did u cut the lines rather than taking out the interior piece?

it gives the fan a lil more speed and removes a nice chunk of weight...

i wanted to remove that stuff too, but i honestly do not know how to get at all that stuff... haven't checked the manual first, need to do that.

i just got my license for handling refrigerant its a 7 hour course and you can be fined up to 100,000 dollars and maximum 6 months in prison for improper use of refrigerant lmao but u might want to mention that in the how too.

i just got my license for handling refrigerant its a 7 hour course and you can be fined up to 100,000 dollars and maximum 6 months in prison for improper use of refrigerant lmao but u might want to mention that in the how too.

What's a reasonable fee to have your A/C system evacuated? I need to replace my compressor, but I would like to just take it to a shop, evacuate it, and then go back and refill it once I'm done.

Latest posts

Back