How To: iPod integration w/ Text

wannabe

meh
:
16 CX-5, Old: 06 Mazdaspeed6, 08 CX-7, 01 Protege ES/Mp3wannabe
I recently purchased and installed an Axxess iPod integration kit. This kit is made by Metra, but for some reason is hard to find. The place I purchased from was very slow, so I will not even name the site...

Difficulty = 3
Tools = screw driver, 10mm ratchet with at least a 3-6in extension, recommended: zipties
Cost = $150 shipped
“O” Factor = 8 iPod w/ Text y0!

Heres what you get when you order the kit, with the iPod adapter (there are a few options, iPod, xm, aux, or any combination)

P8280036.jpg

P8280037.jpg

(beer) beer is much needed, as it was hot as hell out there....

If you have removed your console before, this is straight forward. Otherwise, read on.

Alright, first step, remove the cup holders and shifter surround. There are no screws, just clips, so just pull up on both to remove them. On the back of the ashtray are two plugs. The one attached to the cigarette lighter just needs to be squeezed like most other automotive plugs, but the light simply would not come apart for me, so I unscrewed it from the back of the ashtray.
P8280038.jpg

PUT THE SHIFTER KNOB BACK ON to avoid scratching the delicate surround.

Next, remove the glovebox. Open it, and on the right hand side you will see a string. Remove it by pulling down on it (under the clip)
P8280039.jpg

Behind the glovebox, you will see a single 10mm bolt attached to the radio. It will be behind the radio/below the lcd. Remove it.
On the bottom of the center console are 4 screws attached to the bottom of the radio surround. Remove all four (not sure if all four are required, but it worked for me)

Once all the screws are out, give the radio surround a yank, and it should pull straight forward.
P8280040.jpg

On the back, you will find a plethora of connectors. One of these is clipped to a piece of metal. Using pliers, squeeze the plastic tab sticking through the metal, and it will come right apart. Disconnect all the others and remove the radio from the car.

P8280041.jpg

Flip the radio over, and you will see an unused plug under the CD player. This is where the circuit board goes.
P8280042.jpg

P8280043.jpg

I personally did not feel this was secure enough, even with the strap of metal they give you to secure it in place, so I ziptied it to the radio.

P8280044.jpg

Then attached the strap.
P8280045.jpg

Next attach the wire the came with the unit to the board and the Axxess box.

I next tried to figure out where I wanted the iPod to live. We basically have two options. The armrest, or the map pocket. I decided to go with the map pocket. To remove it, simply remove the two screws under the LCD and pull forward. I then cut a hole in the bottom with my pocket knife to the size of the plug, then slipped the plug through.
P8280046.jpg

Now, you reassemble everything, remember to plug in all the connectors, especially the connector coming from the map pocket for your iPod.

turn the car on and see if it works
P8280047.jpg

P8280048.jpg

P8280049.jpg

P8280050.jpg

impressions:
works well so far :D
I have heard that the unit can overheat, so I will watch for that and report back if it does..Otherwise, I've got to figure out how to switch playlists and stuff, but it seems to be working well :D

Last edited:
here are the part numbers you need:
Axxess control unit: XIA-I01
Mazda Specific adapter: XIAH-MZ1

Pick 1-3 of the following:
iPod cable: XIAH-IPC
XM cable: XIAH-XMC
RCA(aux) cable: XIAH-RCA

Nice. Thanks !!!

I plan to get one myself soon. Found it here

Looks similar to yours...i think..hehe

Edit: wanabe, where did you put the axxess box ?

Last edited:
Nice. Thanks !!!

I plan to get one myself soon. Found it here

Looks similar to yours...i think..hehe

Edit: wanabe, where did you put the axxess box ?

very cool. I did not know that therpmstore carried these. i would have bought from them, had i known this..

i put the box behind the climate controls, basically under the radio.

can you control your music from the iPod? or do you have to control it from your stereo?

can you control your music from the iPod? or do you have to control it from your stereo?

When it's plugged in, no, but if you we're to unplug it and select a song it would pick up from where you left off before you plugged it in, unlike the Mazda unit which picks up where the car left off, and that's rather annoying, I had both and I give this AXXESS unit two thumbs up, and the Mazda unit 4 down.

I thought they would put in the auxillary jack like they do in the 3's, but the put in the integration thing instead

you have to control it from the radio, unless you unplug it, change it, and plug it back in.

When it's plugged in, no, but if you we're to unplug it and select a song it would pick up from where you left off before you plugged it in, unlike the Mazda unit which picks up where the car left off, and that's rather annoying, I had both and I give this AXXESS unit two thumbs up, and the Mazda unit 4 down.

(werd)

Does this work with the iPhone?

i have no idea. does it use the same type of connection as the iPod? if not, then it would work, but without the text. you would need the 1/4 jack instead of the iPod connector.

At $175, not too bad. I can get it for about $150 as well as I am direct with Metra, I'll think about it. I have the one from eBay,works great. I can select songs via stereo, steering wheel, or iPod. Only downside is there is no text,but I can also switch playlists through the radio.

I just got my 6 2 weeks ago, and installed my axxess unit tonight. Took a couple of hours, but was simple overall. The write up helped....THANKS!

So far so good, but I don't get any text, maybe b/c I have the iPod Nano instead of the "normal" iPod?

I just got my 6 2 weeks ago, and installed my axxess unit tonight. Took a couple of hours, but was simple overall. The write up helped....THANKS!

So far so good, but I don't get any text, maybe b/c I have the iPod Nano instead of the "normal" iPod?

really? did you get the iPod connector version? or the regular audio jack?

it is the ipod connector version. Having some issue today w/ recognition. seems I have to have the ipod unhooked when turning on the ignition for the system to recognize the aux/media.

Maybe just b/c I'm a cheapskate and bought a 6i.......

Back