How to: Install TRZ Transmission Mount

That wsnt my point. The correct way to do this is to thread the long bolt first throight the mount and into the bracket WITHOUT pitting the bolts through the plate. This eliminates any worry os cross threading because you are trying to pry yoir engine in place while tightening a critical bolt. Get the main bolt loosly threaded, the plate will have enough room to float above all the studs still. Now you simply push on the mount or engine or whatever it takes. When it is in the right spot the plate will simply drop itself in place !! Ta dah !! You had the plate nuts on, they may not have been tight but with the nuts attached the plate could not move.

i installed the trz tranny mount tonight after work. motivation for doing it was freaking out over failed stock tranny mounts and improving the 2-3 shift.

i did it by myself (if you don't count my 10 year old daughter holding my shop light) and it took about an hour. many thanks to abilor, dalenixon, tru-boost and ken miller at pg for all your help. i would have not had the sack to try this w/o your insight. not too hard of an install if you follow the info in this post.

install notes - i put a floor jack under the tranny where the rear mm connects (used rhino ramps). engine still moved considerably north when i took out the tranny bolt like abilor's. got my wife's scissor jack and put it under the cylinder looking thing protruding down near the front of the tranny. i ended up maxing out the scissor jack to get the big tranny bolt into position. the tranny bolt and 4 tripod bolts eventually line up as you jack. be patient and it will happen. the northeast tripod bolt (looking at it from the driver's side) seemed to be the bear. as tru-boost says, loosely put the tranny bolt on first and then worry about lining up the 4 tripod bolts so you're not bomb sigting it in. as dalenixon says below, go w/ 2 jacks and stands/ramps.

before mod - i have had the trz rear dogbone for about 400 miles. i thought it was pretty cool. positives - tighter engine, improved shifting, and dramatically less wheel hop on launches. negatives - dash rattling vibes at 1500 rpm (starting out) and at 3000 rpm (foot off the gas & in gear), and i was still missing the 2-3 shift half the time!!! either vibes have gone down or i have just gotten used to them. however, the 2-3 shift has driven me nuts and i've done the following to fix it - twm bushings, mlt-90 tranny fluid, and trz dogbone to no avail.

after trz tranny mount mod - you definitely hear more tranny noise (especially at low speeds and w/ the clutch out, stopped) as posters have already said. the vibes have shifted from the dash to all three pedals which is a big improvement. i drove her around town and did about ten hard pulls and DIDN'T MISS THIRD ONCE!!! extra noises are worth the improved shifting and better vibes.

recommendation - get the trz tranny mount from pg and it will have you singing ave maria. more noises at low speeds but vibes have gone down considerably and i think this may be the 2-3 shift holy grail. the car should have come this way!

Last edited:
i installed the trz tranny mount tonight after work. i did it by myself if you don't count my 10 year old daughter holding my shop light. took about an hour. many thanks to abilor, dalenixon, tru-boost and ken miller at pg for all your help. i would have not had the sack to try this w/o your insight. not too hard of an install if you follow the info in this post.

install notes - i put a floor jack under the tranny where the rear mm connects. engine still moved considerably north when i took out the tranny bolt like abilor's. got my wife's scissor jack and put it under the cylinder looking thing protruding down near the front of the tranny. i ended up maxing out the scissor jack to get the big tranny bolt into position. the tranny bolt and 4 tripod bolts eventually line up as you jack up. be patient and it will happen. as tru-boost says, loosely put the tranny bolt on first and then worry about lining up the 4 tripod bolts so you're not bomb sigting it in.

before mod - i have had the trz rear dogbone for about 400 miles. i thought it was pretty cool. positives - tighter engine. negatives - dash rattling vibes at 1500 rpm starting out and 3000 rpm while coasting in gear, and i was still missing the 2-3 shift half the time!!! either vibes have gone down or i have just gotten used to them. however, the 2-3 shift has driven me nuts and i've done the following to try and fix it - twm bushings, mlt-90 tranny fluid, and trz dogbone to no avail.

after trz tranny mount mod - you definitely hear more tranny noise (especially at low speeds and w/ the clutch out at a stop) as posters have already said. the vibes have shifted from the dash to all three pedals which is a big improvement. i drove her around town and did about ten hard pulls and DIDN'T MISS THIRD ONCE!!!

recommendation - get the trz tranny mount from pg and it will have you singing ave maria. more noises at low speeds but vibes have gone down considerably and i think this may be the 2-3 shift holy grail. the car should have come this way!

awesome news sir, glad to be of service

Good job karl... I too am glad you like it. Although informative with good pics, i think the OP makes this sound much more difficult than it is. In all honesty, its one of the easiest mods i have done to this car. The only things easier were my TMIC upgrade, and lower mount swap. Hell i think this is easier and take less time than a CAI install ! After you do it once, you can knock it oit on a buddies car in about 30min. About half of the is getting the car on stands and removin the battery box !!!

Agreed. This thread is a howto/chronicle of our experience on Abilor's car. When I installed my TRZ tranny mount a few months later, I did it much faster and more easily.

I think the point Abilor wanted to get across with this thread is: Keep your head in the game, this ain't no rear mount install! I hope nobody ran away scared after reading this thread. The mod is really very simple, there are just some real gotchas here that need to be kept in mind.

When I did mine, I supported my engine with two jacks and a jack stand :)

That wsnt my point. The correct way to do this is to thread the long bolt first throight the mount and into the bracket WITHOUT pitting the bolts through the plate. This eliminates any worry os cross threading because you are trying to pry yoir engine in place while tightening a critical bolt. Get the main bolt loosly threaded, the plate will have enough room to float above all the studs still. Now you simply push on the mount or engine or whatever it takes. When it is in the right spot the plate will simply drop itself in place !! Ta dah !! You had the plate nuts on, they may not have been tight but with the nuts attached the plate could not move.

You are of course correct sir.

In other news in this thread, DaleNixon pointed out to that the tripod is actually on the engine, which is what the 10 bolt threads into. It looks like a pain in the pooper to change out too.

When I put my car to stock yesterday, changing the mount was a lot smoother. The trick is not to jack your engine up too much, just enough to freeze movement. The method of using the floor jack as a primary and the scissor jack as the "mover" holds. Two jacks for this one folks.

Good job karl... I too am glad you like it. Although informative with good pics, i think the OP makes this sound much more difficult than it is. In all honesty, its one of the easiest mods i have done to this car. The only things easier were my TMIC upgrade, and lower mount swap. Hell i think this is easier and take less time than a CAI install ! After you do it once, you can knock it oit on a buddies car in about 30min. About half of the is getting the car on stands and removin the battery box !!!

As the OP, and doing it again yesterday, I agree. We didn't have instructions to go off of really when we did it though, so the whole thing was kind of experimental. Much easier the second time around. DaleNixon did his alone with no issues after doing this one.

i installed one yesterday with one jack on a sloped driveway. with the stars and moon aligned, anything is possible.

How are the vibes from the tranny mount like at freeway speeds after a 500 mile break in? I've been hearing a distinct popping noise every time I put a load on the tranny, so I think its time to upgrade to an aftermarket mount, such as the TRZ. I just don't want the noise to be unbearable when I travel on the free way.

i'm going on 600 miles. don't really notice the tranny noise w/ all the other road noise and radio at highway speed. it's there but doesn't bother me. noises are more pronounced at lower speeds just starting out.

i think the tranny mount actually improves the nvh if you already have the rear mount.

my favorite mod - gives you piece of mind that your engine won't fall out and fixes the 2-3 shift. pay that man (ken) his money.

I just got back to work from getting lunch, and I must say, the popping noise is a lot worse now. It pops every time I shift to another gear and also when I turn the car on. It better hold up until I can can get home and check things out.

Ken will probably be receiving an order for a TRZ combo tonight.

i just did the install, used a hydraulic jack where they mentioned, it looks like a screw would go in there but there's no screw.
this was of course after lifting the car a little with the stock jack on the drivers side.we raised they hydraulic just enuf to where it raised the motor about 1" after it made contact with the jack point.

removing the bolt was easy and when we did, the motor did move maybe 1/2" towards the front of the car, no biggie. what we ended up doing was pushing down on the front of the car (making it lower in the front, rake like stance) until the hold lined up, then boom back in no problems
we used loctite (blue, did not have red) and torqued to 100lbs

specs i believe are 91-110lbs. started it up, did not notice any vibes, like others said it reduces the vibes the dogbone caused.
there is a lot of noise when depressing the clutch. have not driven it yet
i washed the car earlier and the tire foam will shoot all over my doors if i drive it right now :)

i also did the turbo inlet install, it was easy, i figured id install both at the same time since u have to take the battery and tray out for the installs.

so after driving it to work today, damn this thing is loud
no vibes that i can notice, but just pressing in the clutch
u can hear it click into each gear.

1 thing i noticed, when gassing it on the freeway, whenever i let go of the gas, i hear a little click, i double checked all the bolts and used a torque wrench to put them at the recommended lbs, do any of you guys hear a click ?
hopefully the noise dies down a bit later on cuz its damn noisy.
i have not gunned it yet

Just installed my TRZ Trans and Motor Mounts today. WOW!! Talk about "Good vibrations"!! My initial impressions so far (I've only put about 6 miles on the car so far). Car vibrates like crazy, however I've noticed it's much easier to shift:confused: My biggest problem prior was the 1-2 shift was a little jerky. No more! I know the vibrations will settle in a little after some miles. I did not torque any of the bolts, but I'm wondering if I should after reading all the posts?? I tightened all of them really well and used Lock Tite on all bolts. Also installed the E4 short shifter at the same time.

What I did when I removed the main bolt, was to place the jack under the trans with a block of wood to protect, then to get the tranny to move into place instead of using another jack, I used a long pry bar wedged between the engine block up front and the framing (I'll post a pic if need be) and simply pry the tranny back toward the rear of the car enough that the bolt would engage into the threads. Alot easier than using another jack. Still a two man job.

Overall, not sure how I like it yet. Have to give it some time to see if I can get used to the added noise and vibrations. First real test will be when I'm out with the wife and kids and if I can't hear them over the noise, the tranny mount goes.

Gerry

Great write up. It helped out alot. I followed your pics and did it myself in abut 45 mins. A floor jack works just fine. I didn't have any alignment issues. Tightened the 10 bolt first before i even messed with the other for. Thanks for the great pics...

Back