How to: Install TRZ Transmission Mount

Great write up, I will be doing mine next.
I initially got the CS inserts, worked great at first but now I wish I had just gotten a true MM.
As soon as I get the TRZ package they will go on.
I got the TRZ Rear MM, TRZ Transmission Mount w/ Optional Bracket, and just ordered the M3M Passenger side MM, plus a set of M3M Traction Bars.
I shouldn't have a problem with wheel hop now haha..

Last edited:
Great write up, I will be doing mine next.
I initially got the CS inserts, worked great at first but now I wish I had just gotten a true MM.

we hear this alot. the price you pay for buying a soft motor mount is that they tear easily, break in too easily and then provide not enough or no gain over time.

Anyone with a transmission mount installed.

Would you please post a video (or a link to a youtube video) to hear the noise from the transmission after instaling the transmission mount?

I ordered one yesterday, and I'll make a video for you as soon as it is installed. The vibes will calm down after break in, but I'm not sure about the noise.

I made a few videos, but my camera sucks at capturing audio. I'll see how they sound on my nice speakers. If they aren't any good, I'll try it with my actual Canon camcorder.

Edit: I'm glad I reviewed these pics. I just realized I put the "tripod" piece under the mount cover instead of on top. I think that's why my battery tray was being stubborn. I guess I'll get out there and fix it... If I have to redo my stereo settings one more time I'll lose my mind!

Rounding off what's in the service manual shows about 80 ft-lbs. for the two rear mount bolts and the huge tranny mount bolt. For the four nuts that hold the tranny mount on, 40 ft-lbs. For the two small bolts at the top of the tranny mount (right under the battery cover), 80 in-lbs.

Rounding off what's in the service manual shows about 80 ft-lbs. for the two rear mount bolts and the huge tranny mount bolt. For the four nuts that hold the tranny mount on, 40 ft-lbs. For the two small bolts at the top of the tranny mount (right under the battery cover), 80 in-lbs.

thanks..

80 in-lbs?

I thought the recall upped that to like 110 for the big ass trans bolt?

Yea... it's tricky. They have pictures showing "type a" and "type b" bolts. The specs are different depending on the bolt. I tried to round the specs to work for all types.

jezterr, what year is your car? If you want to post pics of the bolts or describe what symbols they may or may not have on the top, I can give you a more accurate torque spec. And yes, it says 80 inch pounds for those two small ones at the top.

Yea... it's tricky. They have pictures showing "type a" and "type b" bolts. The specs are different depending on the bolt. I tried to round the specs to work for all types.

jezterr, what year is your car? If you want to post pics of the bolts or describe what symbols they may or may not have on the top, I can give you a more accurate torque spec. And yes, it says 80 inch pounds for those two small ones at the top.

'kay. i haven't gotten the mounts, yet. should be arriving within the next day or so, but if i run into anything, i'll post up again. but, yeah, it's an '08.

and yeah. the 80 in-lbs sounds better for the smaller bolts. i've just never heard "in-lbs" before...

My smallest torque wrench only goes down to 120 in-lbs. I just did that. It isn't very tight at all.

Abilor....

I noticed the #10 bolt seemed a bit long when you where driving it home into it's mount on the engine's transmission mounting block in your pictures. Could you have started that bolt into it's aluminum trans mount part way along with the mounting plate already attached and then use the bolt and the new mount plate as a unit to lever the motor and plate on the four studs located on the frame/body?

Seems like it might be easier to wrestle the the plate on to the four studs, than shift the motor to bomb-sight the tapped hole for the bolt. I can see just how this would be a b**** and how a Ham Fisted person could screw up the threads by cross threading the hole.

I haven't done mine yet but it looks from your pictures that this just might be possible.....IDK just a thought....

this is actually the proper install method.the long bolt connecting the mount to the lower bracket goes on first...loosely. the plate will still have room to float above the 4 studs it bolts to. then you can actually push/pull your engine into place and the plate will just fall into place when you are in the right spot.....much easier than trying to force it in place and thread a bolt in at the same time !! also i personally only used 1 jack. i supported the car on stands and then positioned the jack to hold the engine right under where the rear motor mount bolts to the engine.
its still a good write up and the pics are great, but it gets done much more easily/quickly if you install the long bolt first.

do you guys remember the size of the "10" tranny bolt? it looks bigger than the four 17mm tripod bolts. 24mm?

don't want to get to this point of the install and not have a big enough socket. my wife hates my speed and the money going towards mods. she will make me walk to sears for the right socket.

this is actually the proper install method.the long bolt connecting the mount to the lower bracket goes on first...loosely. the plate will still have room to float above the 4 studs it bolts to. then you can actually push/pull your engine into place and the plate will just fall into place when you are in the right spot.....much easier than trying to force it in place and thread a bolt in at the same time !! also i personally only used 1 jack. i supported the car on stands and then positioned the jack to hold the engine right under where the rear motor mount bolts to the engine.
its still a good write up and the pics are great, but it gets done much more easily/quickly if you install the long bolt first.

There may be a communication error here. I did thread the long bolt first, then the four plate bolts. If you see bolts in the pics, they're loose, not even hand-tightened.

Latest posts

Back