How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

My car does it and its not had a service yet (so no ECU updates since I had it). Usually gives the higher revs first thing in the morning or when the car hasn't moved for a day. Engage D, then it drops down to normal idle.

So did you all see Top Gear last night? one of the funniest things they've done in a long time featured the CX5. Very good and very funny. The CX5 seemed to cope better than the VW with enthusiastic off roading/soft roading. Maybe a slightly better 4WD system combined with that bit of extra grunt from the engine.

I wish I ordered mine int he navy blue rather than meteor grey now, the dark blue looks great on it.

So did you all see Top Gear last night? one of the funniest things they've done in a long time featured the CX5. Very good and very funny. The CX5 seemed to cope better than the VW with enthusiastic off roading/soft roading. Maybe a slightly better 4WD system combined with that bit of extra grunt from the engine.

I wish I ordered mine int he navy blue rather than meteor grey now, the dark blue looks great on it.

Yes- I was in stitches!!! Cannot wait until Thursday to pick mine up now. The 3 month waiting period gives you lots of time for second thoughts- I was worried it was going to be a really softy car and I wasn't going to be able to take it off the tarmac but if it can take that kind of abuse I'm sure it'll be fine in a grass field. Just hope it doesn't pull the front out of my kayak trailer!

Watched Top Gear with great hilarity. Obviously more of an entertainment programme for the last couple of years than a serious motoring programme.

But.....am I the only one who found it slightly disconcerting that the turbo inter cooler should be damaged in a 3 mph impact? This is the sort of knock that could so easily happen in a car park. Also a little bit worrying that the SCBS didn't cut in when they intentionally tried to ram the Tiguan.....their fault obviously for trying such a stunt but it surely should have worked.

2.5 months in now with my CX-5 which replaced a less practical and more expensive Jaguar XF and overall very happy with all aspects except perhaps the fuel economy on the M-Way. Bought it pretty much on the strength of my MX-5 which I have been delighted with.

Interesting to see the waiting times, I was reasonably flexible with colour, went for crystal white and picked mine up from dealer stock, brand new and unregistered at 2 DAYS notice.

Last edited:
I enjoyed it as well, and as said by other posters, not really a Motoring programme, more of a Lads programme.

My conclusion, the CX-5 is the car to have if you want to successfully write off a caravan.

The SCBS "Failure" into the back of the Tiguan, I suspect the approach was a bit short, and I doubt if he was doing over 2-mph for a period. Also the first time of testing approaching the hedge I thought the braking was premature. I've pulled into parking spaces abruptly before now and SCBS has never kicked in.

All these things have some form of artistic licence. Tale last weeks episode with the Transit Van Hovercraft stunt. For a start a very professional job mechanically as well as the so-called innocent by-standers: TOP GEAR STUNT USED ACTORS

Put a smile on my face nevertheless.

Alex

Watched Top Gear with great hilarity. Obviously more of an entertainment programme for the last couple of years than a serious motoring programme.

But.....am I the only one who found it slightly disconcerting that the turbo inter cooler should be damaged in a 3 mph impact? This is the sort of knock that could so easily happen in a car park. Also a little bit worrying that the SCBS didn't cut in when they intentionally tried to ram the Tiguan.....their fault obviously for trying such a stunt but it surely should have worked.

2.5 months in now with my CX-5 which replaced a less practical and more expensive Jaguar XF and overall very happy with all aspects except perhaps the fuel economy on the M-Way. Bought it pretty much on the strength of my MX-5 which I have been delighted with.

Interesting to see the waiting times, I was reasonably flexible with colour, went for crystal white and picked mine up from dealer stock, brand new and unregistered at 2 DAYS notice.

did it hit the towing hitch on the tiguan? that would kind of puncture most radiators or intercoolers.

also you can turn scbc off. If the laser is looking ahead, then a sharp turn in could well defeat it, you can't really tell which from the clip.

did it hit the towing hitch on the tiguan? that would kind of puncture most radiators or intercoolers.

also you can turn scbc off. If the laser is looking ahead, then a sharp turn in could well defeat it, you can't really tell which from the clip.

Was chatting to our dealer today and he says that it doesn't work if the wheel is turned.

Was chatting to our dealer today and he says that it doesn't work if the wheel is turned.

I guess that's more to do with the fact that if you are in the process of turning, the laser in the windscreen that I understand senses the potential collisions and activates the SCBS is looking straight ahead and therefore may not "see" the obstruction you are about to drive into. I seem to remember in the TG programme that when they ran into the Tiguan there were actually turning into it.

That's all well and good if you are going straight on at a set of traffic lights and the muppet in front stops for no apparent reason but if you are turning right (or left) and the guy in front stops then it may not work. Came as near as anything to a collision recently when somebody did exactly that to me in my previous car, reckon I missed him by a hairs breadth as I swerved around him. Elderly guy, wearing his trilby and driving an old Volvo, who says stereotypes don't exist.....

My non-extensive and non-destructive testing has shown a lack of SCBS kicking in on my CX-5.

Haven't disabled it, but also haven't looked into it much, so don't know the parameters under which it should work.

i.e. should it kick in at 1m? 50cm? 10cm? I know there's a maximum speed to it, but is there also a minimum speed? Perhaps I've been crawling towards the car in front too slowly.

Yes - I know I shouldn't be doing this while stuck in traffic, but that's just the sort of thing that SCBS is designed for! I haven't hit anyone yet. Not even a bump.

I might look to try it on my driveway next time. With something that can easily be nudged out of the way without inflicting damage to my lovely CX-5. A large empty suitcase? Empty roofbox?

Suggestions welcome.

D

I guess that's more to do with the fact that if you are in the process of turning, the laser in the windscreen that I understand senses the potential collisions and activates the SCBS is looking straight ahead and therefore may not "see" the obstruction you are about to drive into. I seem to remember in the TG programme that when they ran into the Tiguan there were actually turning into it.

That's all well and good if you are going straight on at a set of traffic lights and the muppet in front stops for no apparent reason but if you are turning right (or left) and the guy in front stops then it may not work. Came as near as anything to a collision recently when somebody did exactly that to me in my previous car, reckon I missed him by a hairs breadth as I swerved around him. Elderly guy, wearing his trilby and driving an old Volvo, who says stereotypes don't exist.....

That's what I like about the cx-5. if the scbs cant help you've still got the epic handling to help you out of a hole. :)

Hi can any one advise if wheels are mounted with bolts or
Studs with nuts and with what size thanks

The 19" wheels are on studs and nuts, socket required is a 21mm.

I've ordered mine in the dark blue - it's called stormy blue and colour changes alot with sunlight. Haven't watched the show yet but pleased they had the CX-5. I'll be getting a remap as soon as the engine is run in.

I have emailed Mazda customer services today and complained about the excessive start up revs.

My dealer say its to enable a quick warm up.

My M3 has a fast idle from cold start - sounds epic in the garage with the sound from the titantium exhaust reverberating off the walls - it does this to warm the cats up quicker to reduce emissions. Perhaps the same analogy applies to the diesel?

I had a update from my dealer yesterday. Expected arrival has been brought forward from end of October to 10th September. Thus car is already on a ship from Japan!!! Joy.

Received this email from Mazda re the high revs on start up.

High idle speed is a normal function of the SkyActiv Diesel engine on start up, and is not related to any PCM updates; this has always been a feature of this engine.

After a cold start, the regulating valve and the wastegate valve are fully open to enable the exhaust gas to flow through the turbochargers without losing much exhaust gas heating capacity. Also the VVL mechanism slightly opens one exhaust valve per cylinder during intake stroke in order to recirculate a certain amount of high temperature exhaust gas back to the cylinder.

This is for early activation of the catalytic converter and improved exhaust gas purification. This does not indicate defect of the parts.

<Operating Requirement>

1. Water temperature (ECT) at engine starting: from 15 to 32 degrees Celsius.

Intake air temperature (IAT) at engine start: from 15 to 35 degrees Celsius.

Barometric pressure at (BARO) at engine start: from: 91 to 200 kPa.

2. Gear position: P, N, D with the engine idling (Accelerator pedal not depressed)

This is mentioned in the owner’s manual

<Owner’s Manual>

This concern is mentioned in the O/M “When Driving Start/Stop Engine” as follows:.

After starting a cold engine, the engine speed increases and a whining sound from the engine compartment can be heard.

This is for improved exhaust gas purification and does not indicate defect of the parts.

In closing, I trust the above information clarifies your Mazda CX-5 is operating as intended.

My car does it and its not had a service yet (so no ECU updates since I had it). Usually gives the higher revs first thing in the morning or when the car hasn't moved for a day. Engage D, then it drops down to normal idle.

Appears you are correct.

what's strange though is my car has been stood for nearly 40 hours next to our caravan, jumped into the car this morning and it started with normal idling revs?
But the cold light was up on the dash, ambient temperature was around 18 degrees C at the time.

I had a update from my dealer yesterday. Expected arrival has been brought forward from end of October to 10th September. Thus car is already on a ship from Japan!!! Joy.

I was really excited when I read that Buzzx6r, as mine has an estimated delivery date of 12th October. My excitement soon waned though when I realized that I'd had no such phone call from either the Mazda dealer or the leasing broker :(

My old car goes back on 26th Sept and have a family holiday booked for 30th Sept (thinking I;d have the new car - original estimated delivery date was 2nd Sept!). Work have agreed to hire me a car for the interim but I have a terrible fear that I'm going to be tryign to squeeze the wife, the baby, and my fat ar3e into a Hyundai Getz for our trip to Devon :(

Unfortunately speaking to the broker is a nightmare as they generally only want to speak to my boos, and the dealer will only speak to the broker unless they instigate a call to me. There is some hope though it seems; fingers crossed 'ey!

Please ring phone, please, ring, ring now, why are you not ringing.....??? ring!

Appears you are correct.

what's strange though is my car has been stood for nearly 40 hours next to our caravan, jumped into the car this morning and it started with normal idling revs?
But the cold light was up on the dash, ambient temperature was around 18 degrees C at the time.

I think the blue light is for the coolant temp, which could turn off at a different temp from the exhaust gas re-circulation. So the fast idle can be separate to the blue light.

ambient temp was 20 deg C drove 200 yards stopped at traffic lights. Istop came on, blue light was still on. For amusement sometimes I try and guess will it I-stop or not! sad or what !

Received this email from Mazda re the high revs on start up.

High idle speed is a normal function of the SkyActiv Diesel engine on start up, and is not related to any PCM updates; this has always been a feature of this engine.

After a cold start, the regulating valve and the wastegate valve are fully open to enable the exhaust gas to flow through the turbochargers without losing much exhaust gas heating capacity. Also the VVL mechanism slightly opens one exhaust valve per cylinder during intake stroke in order to recirculate a certain amount of high temperature exhaust gas back to the cylinder.

This is for early activation of the catalytic converter and improved exhaust gas purification. This does not indicate defect of the parts.

<Operating Requirement>

1. Water temperature (ECT) at engine starting: from 15 to 32 degrees Celsius.

Intake air temperature (IAT) at engine start: from 15 to 35 degrees Celsius.

Barometric pressure at (BARO) at engine start: from: 91 to 200 kPa.

2. Gear position: P, N, D with the engine idling (Accelerator pedal not depressed)

This is mentioned in the owner’s manual

<Owner’s Manual>

This concern is mentioned in the O/M “When Driving Start/Stop Engine” as follows:.

After starting a cold engine, the engine speed increases and a whining sound from the engine compartment can be heard.

This is for improved exhaust gas purification and does not indicate defect of the parts.

In closing, I trust the above information clarifies your Mazda CX-5 is operating as intended.

xtrailman,

I think that's a fair response, and provides a reasonable technical explanation of the engine behaviour at start up.

Back