How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

I'm struggling to keep at 40 mpg. (Diesel 150 Auto)

Before I've had a 2000 Golf that managed high 40's, 2003 Passat,2006 Peugeot 407, 2008 Saab 93 All diesel 1.9 auto and each of those were mid 40's

Things I like:-

Seating position.

Functionality with I-Pod.

Road-holding & drive experience.

Self lifting rear compartment cover.

Ease to park (sensors very accurate)

Lay-out of binnacle.

Uniqueness, not common on our roads.

Quiet no real wind noise despite size.

Tom-Tom Traffic (When Tom-Tom works)

Rear seat release system.

Cruise control easy to use, display very good, including colour change when in cancel mode.

Colours in binnacle dial display (White/Silver)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dislikes:-

Stupid position of clock, mind you I knew it was there when I bought the car.

Lack of designated foot support opposite accelerator pedal.

No dampers for bonnet.

Tom Tom.
1) Very often doesn't work at all. Have to stop the car, and carry out a re-start, sometimes several times.
2) Traffic hit and miss, sometimes won't work for days.
3) Image goes too dark in night mode, there seems to be an in-between when manually setting, but will not stay as such.
4) Doesn't display mileage to destination (Stand-alone does have this facility)
5) Red speed warning on display (In the Wife's vision) comes up if 3-mph over the limit. OK shouldn't exceed the limit, but the parameter is too close.
6) Speed display on Nav Screen doesn't agree with speedometer.
7) Updates are a nightmare, until you find the solution, which is not obvious or documented. I seem to be the only one on my dealers books whose sorted it.

Blue-tooth with Samsung S-111, keeps dropping out, and then refuses to recognise my phone. Have to do a total re-install and address book doesn't always migrate.

Cruise control cancel on inner side of operating button, should be on outer side (nearer the steering wheel rim)

Display in heater area not of same colour as binnacle. Red whereas speedo etc is in a nice state of the art silver/white.

Auto-lights do not come on if wipers are in high demand.

Fuel consumption could be better.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all though a cracking car, and apart from Tom-Tom giving Mazda a poor image, I would buy another.

Last edited:

Before I've had a 2000 Golf that managed high 40's, 2003 Passat,2006 Peugeot 407, 2008 Saab 93 All diesel 1.9 auto and each of those were mid 40's

Seating position.

Lay-out of binnacle.

Cruise control easy to use, display very good, including colour change when in cancel mode.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No dampers for bonnet.

Tom Tom.
1) Very often doesn't work at all. Have to stop the car, and carry out a re-start, sometimes several times.
3) Image goes too dark in night mode, there seems to be an in-between when manually setting, but will not stay as such.
5) Red speed warning on display (In the Wife's vision) comes up if 3-mph over the limit. OK shouldn't exceed the limit, but the parameter is too close.
7) Updates are a nightmare, until you find the solution, which is not obvious or documented. I seem to be the only one on my dealers books whose sorted it.

Blue-tooth with Samsung S-111, keeps dropping out, and then refuses to recognise my phone. Have to do a total re-install and address book doesn't always migrate.

Cruise control cancel on inner side of operating button, should be on outer side (nearer the steering wheel rim)

Display in heater area not of same colour as binnacle. Red whereas speedo etc is in a nice state of the art silver/white.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all though a cracking car, and apart from Tom-Tom giving Mazda a poor image, I would buy another.

Just a few points:

2) My Live Services are hit and miss. I am having a new module fitted. There was a beta software update to try and improve things

4) Agreed. But if you tap the screen, it does give this information on the right hand side.

6) I wouldn't expect it to. Speedometers always read high. Legally they can't read under so they err on the 'safe side'

Seating position.

Lay-out of binnacle.

No dampers for bonnet.

Tom Tom.

I haven't experienced the issues you have noted with the Sat nav.... I do however have the same issue with the bluetooth.... My phone is a Blackberry Torch 9800.... Sometimes it won't auto connect so I have to use the in car setup function again.... Also, sometimes when i'm on a call it drops out for about 10 seconds or so before it reconnects for me to continue the call.

I keep my lights set to auto all the time and they stay on all the time even during the day, they work as daytime running lights, if yours don't do this you can get your dealer to programme this for you by connecting to their pc.

Fuel consumption is a nightmare.... So far I've done approx 600 miles and am averaging 33mpg.... The promise of good fuel consumption was the main reason I bought this car.... I looked at many cars, Rav 4, CRV, Evoque, to name a few.... The Mazda's spec was better based on the price.... Their MPG figures were amazing compared to the others.... I suppose I should have remembered the old saying "if it seems to good to be true...... "

Geoff..........I keep my lights set to auto all the time and they stay on all the time even during the day, they work as daytime running lights, if yours don't do this you can get your dealer to programme this for you by connecting to their pc.

No problem with that as that happens to be the factory settings. Bear in mind, in normal daylight conditions front headlights on, no rear lights.

The Peugeot & Passat I owned both with Auto lights, the headlights would kick in if the auto wipers were experiencing heavy use, meaning headlights and importantly rear red lights. It is easy in reduced visibility to forget that your daytime lights have nothing showing at the rear.

Nevertheless, still a fantastic car.

Alex

I've got the petrol version, (am I the only one?) done 2k and getting around 38mpg which is mainly an 8 mile each way commute in town driving and the occasional trip to Brighton, this seems amazingly good compared to you diesel guys! so far the car has not missed a beat and I'm very pleased with my purchase, also the performance has improved considerably with the mileage.

you don't get DPF regens on the petrol (wink) - I'm getting about 47mpg (ave speed 35mph) with my lowest of 45mpg with avg speed of 20mph. It is winter diesel mix we have in the uk at the mo. so should be in the 50's around town which would be great. Tyre pressures can make a difference too. I have mine on the full load setting even though I often drive with only 1 passenger and nothing in the boot. It firms up the handling on the 17" wheels.

Well, mine has been in the dealer's today and it seems that they have reduced the dashboard rattle - definitely not gone but much reduced. They checked out the other items but found no issues. I spoke with the sales manager regarding the mpg and he suggested that on average we should expect to get around 20% less than the quoted figure! I would take that at the moment with my - 40% figure.
I plan to wait until it has covered 10,000 miles and if the consumption is not over 50 mpg I intend approaching Mazda about it.

My present diesel took near 15K to fully run in, and over 20K before i saw the best mileage, but the improvement isn't that large, at a guess i would say around 3 mpg.

I would want your car hooked up to check for a sensor reading near the limit to the spec, either that or your driving is heavy footed, with heavy congestion. No offence intended.
Play with this link and check out the results, HJ web site also has a MPG true reading thing.

http://www.whatcar.com/truempg/

Also noticed the Mazda 6 aircon lights match the dash lights, probably as a result of reviews knocking the different colours.
I would be interested how involved changing the colour is?

Tom Tom.

This really annoyed me too, tried nav settings to auto, tweaked night settings to no avail but if you have yourlights on and push the speedo trip button and hold till the car beeps then the the dashboard ligts come out of auto dip which somehow altered the satnav display... it worked for me!

My present diesel took near 15K to fully run in, and over 20K before i saw the best mileage, but the improvement isn't that large, at a guess i would say around 3 mpg.

I would want your car hooked up to check for a sensor reading near the limit to the spec, either that or your driving is heavy footed, with heavy congestion. No offence intended.
Play with this link and check out the results, HJ web site also has a MPG true reading thing.

http://www.whatcar.com/truempg/

Also noticed the Mazda 6 aircon lights match the dash lights, probably as a result of reviews knocking the different colours.
I would be interested how involved changing the colour is?

I sort of get why they did the colour split, the white dials are driver info too harsh at night all that white. my old car was all orange lights and that looked ok at night.

This really annoyed me too, tried nav settings to auto, tweaked night settings to no avail but if you have yourlights on and push the speedo trip button and hold till the car beeps then the the dashboard ligts come out of auto dip which somehow altered the satnav display... it worked for me!

Do you not mean 'twist' the trip button to alter the dash light level, if you twist it all the way clockwise it will click/beep and disable the auto-dim of the dash lights (and tomtom screen).

Do you not mean 'twist' the trip button to alter the dash light level, if you twist it all the way clockwise it will click/beep and disable the auto-dim of the dash lights (and tomtom screen).

Sorry, yes twist and hold. It worked for me!

Mine is back at the dealers on Monday, oil back up to X having been drained back to normal only 3K miles ago (in December).

In anticipation of the usual customer/dealer argument I rang Mazda UK customer services. Yes, they said, we have issued a TSB for this issue - you can check with the warranty team if your car is included. So I rang the warranty team and guess what - No sir, your vehicle isn't listed as one of those affected. Oh really, I said, despite the fact it's exhibiting the exact same symptoms? At which point I got directed back to customer services.

Will see what the dealer says on Monday, but it will not be leaving them without a) having the oil changed and b) confirmation that the vehicle will receive the fix detailed in the TSB (admittedly probably at a future date).

UPDATE: Mazda UK called me today (15:00) and have raised a case with their technical department - seemed very surprised that the dealer had just emptied some oil during the previous visit as this is not Mazda's recommendation. My trip to the dealer on Monday will now start with a very interesting conversation!

Last edited:
Hi there - newbie here - having test driven a Sport Nav 2.2D 175 AWD Auto and SE-L Nav 2.2D 150 AWD Drive Manual, and being very impressed by both, I'm on the point of negotiating a deal. If money were no object I'd go for the Sport Nav 2.2D 175 AWD Auto, but as I have a budget limit, and want an auto, I think I'm going to plump for the SE-L Nav 2.2D 150 2WD Auto. I was hoping to dest drive one before ordering, but a few calls and visits to dealers suggest that this is a very rare combination. Has anybody else out there got that combination ? Don't worry I won't ask for a test drive! I'm just looking for opinions on the combintation.
As for price, dealers don't seem very keeen to discount, even though I'm a cash buyer with no trade in. I read with interest Narrowguage7.25's drivethedeal price, so that looks like a good way to go. A question though, having looked at the drivethedeal website, I'm still unsure how they make their money - are there any comission fees to pay ? And has anybody who has used them just submitted their order via their web page, or dealt with them over the phone (I've reached an answerphone when I've tried to call)?

Thanks

I was also a cash buyer, so I got a price from drive the deal and went to my dealer with it. Gave him the option to either match the price or I would order through them. After the usual mutterings about the internet putting them out of business, they agreed to match the price, so I signed up straight away. Remember there is a recession on and cash still talks. I guess it depends on the dealer and how their sales figure are for the month. I heard that going in near the end of the month is best, as your sale may take them over their target and trigger dealer bonuses etc. Personally, I would never cave in to dealer protestations if I was a cash buyer - you can afford to look around for the best price without considering anything else. Drive the deal prob make 500 on the deal, so you know that your dealer can in reality go 500 under their price and still make a profit.....

I've tried five dealers in my area and none will come close to the 2100 discount that DTD offer.

Best was 1250 off.

So what dealer did you use, I'll call them.

You could try Bruce at Sandicliffe Loughborough (towards the end of the month). I found them very competitive if you're ready to place an order and know the spec of the car you want/can leave a deposit.

Just checked and my internet quote was from autoebid (28467) That is the price I paid at the dealership. My dealer is Jennings Mazda in Middlesbrough - ask for Shaun.

Last edited:
The DTD price quoted for a CX5 sport nav 175 manual metallic is 26163.60

That's a discount of 2097.40

I have never bought a car with out a decent discount, considering we are supposed to be in a recession 2K is the minimum we should expect.

I'll give both dealers a ring when I've finished the decorating, cheers.

Back