How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Well Auto express is out - Driver Power results - CX-5 comes 13th out of 150 vehicles rated by their owners so pretty good news :)

Well Auto express is out - Driver Power results - CX-5 comes 13th out of 150 vehicles rated by their owners so pretty good news :)

I've just had my first Auto express last week subscribed, did you get yours today?

I think the CX-5 was higher last year?

I'm loving it more than the Mazda.........Sorry guys.

Theirs got to be a reason I've had 4 Nissans, but only one Mazda.
Having said that neither the Cashcow or New xtrail will be any good for me, Cashcow too small a boot, Xtrail around 10" longer than the T31, so far too big for me, and neither one has good power for towing.

Now getting 45mpg around town, medium traffic.

Theirs got to be a reason I've had 4 Nissans, but only one Mazda.
Having said that neither the Cashcow or New xtrail will be any good for me, Cashcow too small a boot, Xtrail around 10" longer than the T31, so far too big for me, and neither one has good power for towing.

Now getting 45mpg around town, medium traffic.

What mileage are you on now to get this mpg?! Ours is at 2k now in just over a month and sat at 38.5mpg. So happy with the car its unreal! Spent 7 hours valeting it on Tuesday! Wish we'd gone for black instead of white really but thats my only gripe!! Otherwise its top drawer!

Taking it to Barcelona in a month then driving round the Cote D'Azur to Monte Carlo and onto Rome and then home! 3000 miles of pure bliss behind the wheel!

I'm loving it more than the Mazda.........Sorry guys.

I suspect the fact that it doesn't come with the optional indoor swimming pool that you had in your CX5 might play a part in that. (gah)

(Interesting to note that in the WhatCar tables at the back of the magazine it doesn't even class the 2 cars as direct competitors......)

What mileage are you on now to get this mpg?! Ours is at 2k now in just over a month and sat at 38.5mpg. So happy with the car its unreal! Spent 7 hours valeting it on Tuesday! Wish we'd gone for black instead of white really but thats my only gripe!! Otherwise its top drawer!

Taking it to Barcelona in a month then driving round the Cote D'Azur to Monte Carlo and onto Rome and then home! 3000 miles of pure bliss behind the wheel!

Trust me, as an owner of 2 black cars and a white one, I would take white every time in future. No need to wipe off the sediment left by water marks after washing.

48mpg from my 150bhp car, 8500 miles on the clock. (Actually at 52 mpg on current tank of premium fuel)

Shut-up. Got me jealous now.

If you get chance when you get to Roma, try & visit Fuiggi, lovely little church with mosaics and the old people of the town hold old fashioned tea dances in the town square late of an evening.

Better than that though is Monte Cassino lovely mountain trip to the top, and very spiritual, I'm known for not being of any religious persuasion but that place is very moving.

Alex

Yes only ever had one black car, never looked clean, same with dark blue.

To be honest my "silver" car isn't that great either, its more like grey!, a proper silver car like my last two is good for 5 weeks before cleaning.

Reading the Auto express driver power (I got it Thursday) the CX-5 is marked down for running costs.
I find this quite odd as the MPG is good, the insurance is cheaper, and the service cost at a main dealer is either better or the same as my xtrails.

Overall I'm pleased with the car, great performance and economy balance, even the BMW 2L engine has been recently improved to compete with it, the previous 2L BMW lagged behind on torque, the CX-5 was producing more and over a wider rev range in 175ps mode.
Trust me, as an owner of 2 black cars and a white one, I would take white every time in future. No need to wipe off the sediment left by water marks after washing.

48mpg from my 150bhp car, 8500 miles on the clock. (Actually at 52 mpg on current tank of premium fuel)

Around 6K.
I didn't bother running it in, just drove it normally but not red lining or labouring the engine, I towed with it at 200 miles as well, i'd read a few posts from people who never bothered running firms vans in, and they all produced more MPG.

Last year I was seeing 44plus regular, this year I'm seeing 45 plus, although after a particular spirited drive home it ended on high 43mpg.
Best I've had was 55.9mpg, obviously there was no regen on this trip, that's what really pulls the overall average down.

Try a reset before a long run, push the middle of the info button down for a few sec, I always do this when towing, most I've had is only 29mpg, not great to be honest, but I am towing 1565kg.

Nocking up the mileage know on 10569 going to have a test drive on the lexus NX when out later this year. The trip to Spain / Rome sounds nice

Around 6K.
I didn't bother running it in, just drove it normally but not red lining or labouring the engine, I towed with it at 200 miles as well, i'd read a few posts from people who never bothered running firms vans in, and they all produced more MPG.

Last year I was seeing 44plus regular, this year I'm seeing 45 plus, although after a particular spirited drive home it ended on high 43mpg.
Best I've had was 55.9mpg, obviously there was no regen on this trip, that's what really pulls the overall average down.

Try a reset before a long run, push the middle of the info button down for a few sec, I always do this when towing, most I've had is only 29mpg, not great to be honest, but I am towing 1565kg.

Thanx for this. We were told ours doesnt need running in by the dealer. He said it wasn't necessary with the new mazda engines. We have driven it responsibly for 2000 miles with the odd moment of heavy right foot coming on the motorway but nothing major or for long periods. If you had run yours in how would you have driven it and for how long?

Im really looking forward to the drive down to Barca and round the coast to Rome. Shame we wont yet have racked up enough miles to start seeing the real decent mpg's coming but hopefully once we get to the mileage level you have we will be at a similar economy level!

Thanx again!

Shut-up. Got me jealous now.

If you get chance when you get to Roma, try & visit Fuiggi, lovely little church with mosaics and the old people of the town hold old fashioned tea dances in the town square late of an evening.

Better than that though is Monte Cassino lovely mountain trip to the top, and very spiritual, I'm known for not being of any religious persuasion but that place is very moving.

Alex

Wow thanx for this! We will do that for sure! Much appreciated!

unfortunately I find the CX-5 no better than the less torquey and heavier Xtrail on the motorway, travelling at around 80mph will see the mpg dip below 40mpg, its a average motorway car in my opinion. Wind and road noise can be sometimes intrusive.

But a great A and B road car, which is 90% of my driving.

Where you live makes a huge difference to economy, while we have hills were I live, I live on one, the traffic I would say is medium.

Have a play on whatcar true mpg, the CX-5 compares well to its rivals.

http://www.whatcar.com/truempg/my-true-mpg

For running in instructions search on Honest john, he has a running in program. But really running in the engine isn't required in my opinion.
What I do think needs running in are the tyres and brakes.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/running-in-a-diesel/

Thanx for this. We were told ours doesnt need running in by the dealer. He said it wasn't necessary with the new mazda engines. We have driven it responsibly for 2000 miles with the odd moment of heavy right foot coming on the motorway but nothing major or for long periods. If you had run yours in how would you have driven it and for how long?

Im really looking forward to the drive down to Barca and round the coast to Rome. Shame we wont yet have racked up enough miles to start seeing the real decent mpg's coming but hopefully once we get to the mileage level you have we will be at a similar economy level!

Thanx again!

Last edited:

I am travelling to Carcassonne in France soon - my Dealer tells me that I don't need to fit headlamp deflectors because I have the Xenon headlamps which turn with the steering.
Do any of you guys know if this is true?
Also I don't have a spare wheel - Dealer wants 359 for one!!, has anyone travelled through France without a spare?

Back