How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Thank you. And in the words of Arnie.......I'll be back. But for now I wish you all a fond farewell.
Applauso,
I believe you started this "Fancy a cuppa?" thread - if so thanks very much for all your posts and especially when I was new to the forum and you PM'd me with photos and costs of a spare wheel. If you enjoy your new Nissan as much as I do my CX 5, I'm sure it will give you a great deal of pleasure-good luck with it.

Applauso,
I believe you started this "Fancy a cuppa?" thread - if so thanks very much for all your posts and especially when I was new to the forum and you PM'd me with photos and costs of a spare wheel. If you enjoy your new Nissan as much as I do my CX 5, I'm sure it will give you a great deal of pleasure-good luck with it.
Thank you. Tomorrow is handover day.:)

Wife nearly had a bump today.

Going straight on at a cross road, other chap facing going right, she had to slam the brakes on to avoid hitting him!

I'm just wondering if releasing the handbrake to set off was the cause, releasing the handbrake brings on the driving lights, which could be taken perhaps as a flash??

Going straight on at a cross road, other chap facing going right, she had to slam the brakes on to avoid hitting him!

I'm just wondering if releasing the handbrake to set off was the cause, releasing the handbrake brings on the driving lights, which could be taken perhaps as a flash??

Does it indeed, that's scary! Wasn't aware of that little feature, I wonder why it was even set that way?

Mine is the Auto & the handbrake is practically redundant.

Alex.

Wow thats a very good point and one I will need to make my mrs aware of.

I think its was to stop you dazzling drivers while waiting in a traffic queue. But a very good safety point to note.
In other parts of the world flashing your lights means the opposite of us Polite Brits, i.e get out the way I'm coming thru.

I also have the Auto so I don't really have to worry either as I always want to use Istop where possible. I wonder if the Rear brake lights go off when Istop kicks in to avoid annoying drivers behind. I feel an experiment coming on.

Last edited:

Interesting one and mine does exactly the same. Not sure how it could be taken as a flash though since once the lights come back on they stay on. Sounds more like p*** poor driving by the other guy to my mind. Good to hear she avoided any trouble though. Wonder if the SCBS would have activated had they got any closer?

I have had a very similar incident a couple of times, due to an unusual T junction on my commute. A slight incline requiring handbrake release at the point of marginally ambiguous priority. I believe a few drivers have taken my DRL-on as a signal of some sort.
No other manufacturer that I know of does this and IMO it seems pointless. I think the on/off is more distracting that the 'glare' whilst stationary.
I find the glare from Automatic drivers' brake lights on the car in front more distracting (in low light conditions at least) as they tend to not use the handbrake.
Shame we cant turn off/override this 'feature'

I have had a very similar incident a couple of times, due to an unusual T junction on my commute. A slight incline requiring handbrake release at the point of marginally ambiguous priority. I believe a few drivers have taken my DRL-on as a signal of some sort.
No other manufacturer that I know of does this and IMO it seems pointless. I think the on/off is more distracting that the 'glare' whilst stationary.
I find the glare from Automatic drivers' brake lights on the car in front more distracting (in low light conditions at least) as they tend to not use the handbrake.
Shame we cant turn off/override this 'feature'

There is a post on here somewhere with instructions to turn it off.

DONT QUOTE ME ON THIS but it's something like press hazard warning switch 10 times turn lights on off 5 times and press hazard warning switch 10 times again all within 22 seconds..

i tried it 3 times and couldnt get it to work. oh yes the handbrake needed to be off and your foot on the brake?. the instructions seemed genuine. it wasn't posted on april 1st, but I could not get it to turn off.

There is a post on here somewhere with instructions to turn it off.

DONT QUOTE ME ON THIS but it's something like press hazard warning switch 10 times turn lights on off 5 times and press hazard warning switch 10 times again all within 22 seconds..

i tried it 3 times and couldnt get it to work. oh yes the handbrake needed to be off and your foot on the brake?. the instructions seemed genuine. it wasn't posted on april 1st, but I could not get it to turn off.

If DRLs are fitted I believe it's a legal requirement to leave them on. Something to do with EU law I believe which came in fairly recently.

I think there are some cars e.g. Mazda MX5 which have an exemption that they don't need to be fitted but if they are there already they need to stay on.

If DRLs are fitted I believe it's a legal requirement to leave them on. Something to do with EU law I believe which came in fairly recently.

I think there are some cars e.g. Mazda MX5 which have an exemption that they don't need to be fitted but if they are there already they need to stay on.

Just a thought, if it is a legal requirement for them to be on why do Mazda make them turn off when the handbrake is being used? If it is for visibility reasons you need to be visible whilst stationary as well as moving? I stand to be corrected but I do not know of another manufacturer that does this. Certainly on my Citroen C5 and Skoda Octavia the DRL's did not turn off when the handbrake was used. I can see how this could be confusing to some people although as a matter of principle I don't flash people and am really cautious if people flash me for turning out etc in case it is a mistake on their part.

Cheers

Jonno

I actually wouldn't want to turn off the DRL's but to have them left on permanently, and not toggled off/on with the handbrake.
As Jonno says, no-one else does this, and I can see no reason to have them off whilst stationary. No DRL has ever blinded me.
It is surely more dangerous to have your vehicles lights controlled by something independent of ambient lighting/visibility conditions. (gah)

Just a thought, if it is a legal requirement for them to be on why do Mazda make them turn off when the handbrake is being used? If it is for visibility reasons you need to be visible whilst stationary as well as moving? I stand to be corrected but I do not know of another manufacturer that does this. Certainly on my Citroen C5 and Skoda Octavia the DRL's did not turn off when the handbrake was used. I can see how this could be confusing to some people although as a matter of principle I don't flash people and am really cautious if people flash me for turning out etc in case it is a mistake on their part.

Cheers

Jonno

I think its to assist fuel saving and istop.

If I understand your situation correctly, I can think of one situation in which the activation of the hand (parking) brake results in the switching off of all of the external lights as being helpful/necessary (and which I believe has been SOP in North America cars since I can remember).

When going to a Drive-In movie (once ubiquitous here, though I doubt there are many over the pond), one would activate the parking brake to switch off all external lighting, so as to not disturb the other movie patrons while still being able to listen to the audio through the car's sound system.

This is not to suggest this is the rationale behind this effect; however, I suspect there may be other situations in which one might appreciate this feature.

I think its to assist fuel saving and istop.

Hi Xtrail,

think you may be onto something there.

Slightly off topic, every bike sold in the uk must be fitted with a bell, but you can remove it afterwards. not sure about wheel reflectors. The thing is new cars sold in the uk may need DRLs fitted but it may not be illegal to disable them.

With regards to the cx-5 the operation of the drl's is different to other new cars. I'd prefer them to be always on when ignition is on.

I would prefer they stay on too. It's illegal here to drive without lights on, DRL or dip beam must be on, so if I pull on yeh handbrake and could (and police would not hesitate to) get a fine.

aftermarket DRL are popular here, they are integrated into the fog light shroud and are made by Nolden.de

I would prefer they stay on too. It's illegal here to drive without lights on, DRL or dip beam must be on, so if I pull on yeh handbrake and could (and police would not hesitate to) get a fine.

aftermarket DRL are popular here, they are integrated into the fog light shroud and are made by Nolden.de

Hell they will fine you for leaving the engine idling I think, I wish UK traffics cops would get to grips with the ridiculously high number of vehicles with one headlight/tail-light out though. I know they are fewer bobbies cutting about, but you would think they would see that one as an easy revenue stream for on the spot fines.

Sure, fine for engine idle at red lights is possible, especially as many are sign posted as engine off at red light. Not just a fine for a headlight out, you can't continue to drive until it's fixed. My cars always have a spare set and I know how to change them. Fine for not having your license on you at all times when driving, none of this handing docs in within so many days. Number plates belong to the person, not the car. You have the plate for life. If you don't pay tax or insurance. The police come and remove the plates from the car and you get them back when you pay. I don't mind the rules at all. The 50mph out of town rule is a bit strict but only been caught 7 times in 13 years going a little too fast out of town ( cameras are hidden here, no van with yellow red stripes!) but fine is only around 40 quid so not too bad, no points system for small speeding.

Back