How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Hi all.
I'm another new owner Brit.
2k miles so far, and loving it.

@jimihat - can't believe that happened, only hours old! I'd be fuming...

@mazdaman I ordered a spare wheel kit back in March - delayed due to no tyre - same as you. I complained a few times to my dealer, who finally got it and fitted last week. They said they had 5 tyres on back order for other CX5 owners, but serviced me first, apparently as I complained the most it seems!!

FYI - I'm on fill up number 4 now, and averaging ~42mpg with a fairly heavy right foot in a 175 AWD Manual

Only issue bugging me so far (as I avoided the Nav) is the USB playback from track #1 each time - ridiculous. Sticking to mp3 cd's for now.
Oh, and nowhere obvious to fit a permanent mobile phone holder, without using a windscreen mounted suction cup (which I dislike).

Hi all.
I'm another new owner Brit.
2k miles so far, and loving it.

@jimihat - can't believe that happened, only hours old! I'd be fuming...

@mazdaman I ordered a spare wheel kit back in March - delayed due to no tyre - same as you. I complained a few times to my dealer, who finally got it and fitted last week. They said they had 5 tyres on back order for other CX5 owners, but serviced me first, apparently as I complained the most it seems!!

FYI - I'm on fill up number 4 now, and averaging ~42mpg with a fairly heavy right foot in a 175 AWD Manual

Only issue bugging me so far (as I avoided the Nav) is the USB playback from track #1 each time - ridiculous. Sticking to mp3 cd's for now.
Oh, and nowhere obvious to fit a permanent mobile phone holder, without using a windscreen mounted suction cup (which I dislike).

Hi BluSmoke... Not sure why the usb starts playback from track 1 each time... Mine starts off again from where it left off.

I leave my phone in the open compartment at the base of the front console, where the 12v outlet is... I keep a car charger plugged in there and the phone sits on the non-slip rubber base. I don't see the need to get access to or see the phone as it is controllable via the touch screen bluetooth system.

Hi all.

I think this has been discussed many times on this forum, so a search should find info. Seems to be the newer cars with this problem

Had a phone call from the dealer in April re the dip-stick & ECU, then a letter from Mazda a couple of weeks later re the exhaust sensor. Yours was possibly done prior to delivery assuming you have not had the car that long. If not check with any dealership and they can look it up on the system.

Thanks alex1706 and xtrailman.
The car was delivered in March this year and the marking on the dipstick is "SH01 10450B". I`ve googled this code and also with a "C" instead of a "B" at the end and both come up as Mazda dipsticks. I am going to keep a close eye on the level and see what the dealer has to say.

Yes the "b" is the old dipstick.

My car is a Feb. 2013 model. With the latest "c" stick.

The 2013 versions (MY2014 for US) don't supply the USB permanently so the songs always restart at the beginning, its driving me nuts.

Last edited:
Yes the "b" is the old dipstick.

My car is a Feb. 2013 model. With the latest "c" stick.

The 2013 versions (MY2014 for US) don't supply the USB permanently so the songs always restart at the beginning, its driving me nuts.

Mine is now the "C" style dipstick, therefore Jack I'm wondering if you have had the full modifications thus far?

Re the USB playback starting from scratch every time, I see from XTrailman it seems to be a feature on the newer versions (Mine is Sept 2012, so my i-pod resumes where it left off) I find it bizarre that a so called improvement or update takes place that is in fact detrimental to the functionality of the product. Yet they cannot sort out Live Traffic!

I simply don't get it.

Alex

Hi BluSmoke... Not sure why the usb starts playback from track 1 each time... Mine starts off again from where it left off.

I leave my phone in the open compartment at the base of the front console, where the 12v outlet is... I keep a car charger plugged in there and the phone sits on the non-slip rubber base. I don't see the need to get access to or see the phone as it is controllable via the touch screen bluetooth system.

Yeah, as prhac stated in post #883, USB playback from track#1 is a known issue - I was aware of it before I picked up vehicle but I just thought I'd include this as a current 'niggle'.

The reason I want access to my phone is to use it as a sat nav - Google Maps / Waze are leaps and bounds ahead of any in-car sat-nav IMO - the only issue being the ability to see the screen.
I currently use one of those sticky rubber mat phone holders, which works fine, but slightly obscures the headunit. Either way, I'm still looking for a better, long-term solution to this.

I got back to TomTom regarding my satnav getting lost and I must report that I have had a terrific response from them. They sent me a series of instructions regarding a reformat and reload of the SD card which didn't work as well as hoped so they allowed me to download a later mao which appears to have solved the problem - top marks so far!

Yeah, as prhac stated in post #883, USB playback from track#1 is a known issue - I was aware of it before I picked up vehicle but I just thought I'd include this as a current 'niggle'.

The reason I want access to my phone is to use it as a sat nav - Google Maps / Waze are leaps and bounds ahead of any in-car sat-nav IMO - the only issue being the ability to see the screen.
I currently use one of those sticky rubber mat phone holders, which works fine, but slightly obscures the headunit. Either way, I'm still looking for a better, long-term solution to this.

I haven't needed a bracket for the CX5 as I use the built in sat nav.... but on previous cars I bought brackets from Proclip, it's an American company who supply brackets for specific car makes and models... look them up and see what they can do... hope this helps.

Has anyone tried using a faster SD card for their TomTom? mine is actually all working AT THE MOMENT but it's a bit sluggish when entering address details etc. I'm thinking a faster SD card may improve things...anyone else tried this?

Someone on whirlpool found using a 8gb faster card did make a difference, unfortunately I can't find the link, but the cost was in the 20's when I looked on Amazon. And the tested speed of the card wasn't that much quicker, if that makes sense.

I think it was something like this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0063Q9MG8/

I have swapped out my Mazda SD card for a spare 4gb class 10 card I had. It does make a difference and found it to be more responsive, slightly quicker to boot up after an update etc. I'm not sure I'd fork out money on a higher spec UHS1 card, as I'm wondering if it would be diminishing returns. You have to think of the speed of the hardware here as well, very few devices really take advantage of the speeds available and the UHS1 only come into their own in digital cameras. I have some Sandisk UHS1's in my digital SLR and yes they are quick, but wouldn't waste them on my satnav.

Hi,

On the subject of replacement tyres. Following a puncture I'd had, and a my dealer's quote for 250 for a new Yokohama tyre, I'd written to Maxda usking them to confirm the situation, and I received this reply today:

"Many thanks for your recent e-mail. I have been in contact with our Technical Department who confirmed our recommendation is as previously stated (recommend replacing it with one of the same make, size and specification as that fitted to the vehicle as standard). However in the event you are in the situation where the correct tyre is unavailable an alternative of the same size/spec etc can be fitted but this may cause conflict with the TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System) due to the different construction of the tyre sidewall.

If you require any further information please don’t hesitate to contact me on 08457 484848."

Unbelievable! Anyone any thoughts on this?

m4zda.man

That is outrageous. Let's see if I've got this right?

You need to replace a tyre due to circumstances beyond your control

The tyre you Must Have needs to be identical to existing right down to specification, make etc

This tyre as per criteria seems like might not available in the UK at present

You can fit an alternative, but this will compromise the TPMS operating system and render it inoperative

Finally, as per the response provided to your e-mail question, to quote a line from Blazing Saddles: "Mister, you are on your own"!

Which begs the questions; what happens should you have a fleet and use a supplier to get bulk trading advantages and they cannot source the exact tyre?

Also should you "invest" in a spare wheel/tyre, how would that effect the TPMS set-up?

So in essence, if I have got this right; not only have Mazda failed to provide any contingency plans for their customers regarding Windscreen replacement and Tom-Tom issues we can add replacement tyres to the mix.

Alex

I cant believe that another make of tyre will make that much difference. I have only recently bought a CX5 and i read in the handbook that the tyre cant be repaired if you use the goo, but i wonder if this is just the "official line", has anybody tried to have a tyre with goo in it repaired? I came from BMW with the runflats and BMW and lots of big dealers all say that you cant repair them but as long as they haven't been run flat for too long and the puncture is in the middle area of tread then they can be repaired fine as any other tyre. I wonder if this is the same with these tyres and goo! I am new to Mazda and this site and have just bought a CX5 175 SPORT NAV AUTO IN SOUL RED, it is 2.5 months old and was a demo/showroom car and so far it seems to be a nice drive but i haven't sussed out all the electronic yet. Also those who have ordered the spare wheel does it fit under the floor neatly fitted in with the tools or does it have to go in the boot space? Sorry for all the questions.

I've had a call from Mazda today apparently my details from signing the petition have been accessed by Mazda.

Anyway after a 43 min conversation I'm satisfied that Mazda are at last getting this issue and others sorted out.

I can't remember the detail but I assume everyone who signed will be contacted.

A software update is due shortly and as compensation a one year live services will be given, I did say that a 3 year deal should be offered FOC.

I cant believe that another make of tyre will make that much difference. I have only recently bought a CX5 and i read in the handbook that the tyre cant be repaired if you use the goo, but i wonder if this is just the "official line", has anybody tried to have a tyre with goo in it repaired? I came from BMW with the runflats and BMW and lots of big dealers all say that you cant repair them but as long as they haven't been run flat for too long and the puncture is in the middle area of tread then they can be repaired fine as any other tyre. I wonder if this is the same with these tyres and goo! I am new to Mazda and this site and have just bought a CX5 175 SPORT NAV AUTO IN SOUL RED, it is 2.5 months old and was a demo/showroom car and so far it seems to be a nice drive but i haven't sussed out all the electronic yet. Also those who have ordered the spare wheel does it fit under the floor neatly fitted in with the tools or does it have to go in the boot space? Sorry for all the questions.

The space saver will fit in the well, the original poly comes out and a new two piece poly is fitted that takes the tools, Mazda say you cant tow with the SS tyre so I've fitted a full sized Alloy, but had to pack the boot floor up 40mm with a builders roof slab.

I think Mazda are quoting the party line with the tyre replacement issue, in practise it won't make any difference.

But I always replace with the same tyre on a axle, even though a fitter will tell you it isn't required.

Last I checked you could buy the 19" tyres for around 150.

http://www.tyredrive.co.uk/tyre.php?tyre=225/55+r19+toyo+proxes+r36a+-+mazda+cx-5+black+99v&did=2

Last edited:
Hi,

On the subject of replacement tyres. Following a puncture I'd had, and a my dealer's quote for 250 for a new Yokohama tyre, I'd written to Maxda usking them to confirm the situation, and I received this reply today:

"Many thanks for your recent e-mail. I have been in contact with our Technical Department who confirmed our recommendation is as previously stated (recommend replacing it with one of the same make, size and specification as that fitted to the vehicle as standard). However in the event you are in the situation where the correct tyre is unavailable an alternative of the same size/spec etc can be fitted but this may cause conflict with the TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System) due to the different construction of the tyre sidewall.

If you require any further information please dont hesitate to contact me on 08457 484848."

Unbelievable! Anyone any thoughts on this?

Interesting, and in my case impossible, it would seem. I pay a lot of attention to my tyres, (well, they are the only bit that connects the car to the road so they are pretty damned critical). My car is equipped with Yokohama Geolander G96A tyres (225/65 x 17) and in trying to ascertain whether these are All Season tyres or just Summer tyres (I think it's the latter) I cannot find that exact brand and spec ANYWHERE on the Internet. I can find Geolander ATS, G91a etc etc but not G96As.

I have never known a manufacturer spec the exact BRAND of tyre before and think this is complete rubbish. When the time comes to replace the tyres, whether one or two, I will look for a decent quality brand that meets the spec by way of size, speed rating etc.

I've had a call from Mazda today apparently my details from signing the petition have been accessed by Mazda.

Anyway after a 43 min conversation I'm satisfied that Mazda are at last getting this issue and others sorted out.

A software update is due shortly and as compensation a one year live services will be given, I did say that a 3 year deal should be offered FOC.

xtrailman,

Did I miss something, your petition? Wish I'd seen and signed it!

Since I haven't really experienced any problems I haven't signed the petition but I would be very interested to know about the eventual outcome and the alleged cure. A software update would appear to be the way forward.

Back