How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Might well be because there's not that many of them around given that a 3-4 month order lead time is not unusual and Quashqais , CRV (both UK produced) and iX35 etc seem to be much more readily available.

Sorry, I wasn't clear there. I was actually thinking along the lines of; why isn't there a Mazda UK forum?
Covering not just the CX5, but the 6, 3, MX-5 etc.

Trying to comprehend the Tech and GT packages that the US (& ROW) have, and work out whether a particular issue is relevant to a UK owner is a bit hit n miss sometimes.
Not the end of the world I guess..

Our DRls go off with the side lights too...
Have you noticed that they go off also when the handbrake is on- stops annoying driver in front at traffic lights/queues.

Yeah, that's another thing I'm not quite convinced on.
The LED DRLs are installed below the foggies, about 12 inches off the road. I doubt the vehicle in front could even see those when queuing in traffic.

I apply the handbrake often at traffic light/stationary traffic situations, but am really conscious of it now, as traffic opposite clearly notice the lights flash off/on.
I'd have thought that was more of a distraction.
I think given the choice I'd prefer them the be on all the time. Also would think that of other vehicles too.

Imagine if everyone had DRLs (it seems all new cars have this now) that go off/on with handbrakes. There will be bright flashing lights at lots of junctions or stop-start traffic which IMO are distracting.
The other alternative is to use foot brake I suppose, but that can also annoy the driver behind (in wet weather creates glare), and I didn't think was the right way to drive.

Wow - I'm off on one again...(yawn) sorry.

(need to look for a mod to keep DRL's on permanently - or have em on a dash switch or something)

Another topic; has anyone else got the dealer fitted LED DRL's?

I got mine thrown into the deal after some heavy bargaining, and love the look of them.
However, I find it a little odd that they don't stay on when you switch the side lights on.
They provide more visibility and light than the pretty poor front sidelights.
So in low-light situations I find myself thinking, should I turn on the sidelights to get the rears to come on, but lose a little visibility at the front,
Or go to full headlights and blind everyone in front?
Maybe its just me... (dunno)

Also slightly surprised there's no UK-based Mazda forum. Seems a little claustrophobic in this thread sometimes.

It's illegal to drive with sidelights on in the UK. Best to put the dipped headlights on and you should not blind anyone.
It would be nice to have a separate UK section but not sure if the volume warrants it.

Got a call from head of Mazda customer relations today. Pleasant chap, gave me the latest on the saga to fix live services. I suggested they start a blog or get something out there online about what they are doing, so we don't feel stranded without info. He gave me a lot of detail and it was good to hear it. Changes nothing, want it fixed asap, Mazda owe us big time and made that clear.

As for Tomtom and me chasing them, despite having agreed a comms and escalation process with Mazda, the email I got back from them treated it like any other problem ticket and asked me for more info...which they aren't meant to do. The clincher they didn't give a toss was when they quite glibly said no refund and pointed me to there standard T&Cs. Thanks for nowt Tomtom.

Got a call from head of Mazda customer relations today. Pleasant chap, gave me the latest on the saga to fix live services. I suggested they start a blog or get something out there online about what they are doing, so we don't feel stranded without info. He gave me a lot of detail and it was good to hear it. Changes nothing, want it fixed asap, Mazda owe us big time and made that clear.

Had the same call yesterday (Andrew) He gave me the facts as they stand at present regarding the problem, and the course of action including the regime they are using by means of "beta testing" I did offer to partake, but they seem to have adopted a strategy, so I may as well let them get on with it. One thing I know they are doing and that is using a staff member who lives in an area where there is no phone signal at all, so presumably the theory must be if it works in this case, they are getting somewhere.

There has been experiments re the antenna which is housed behind the SD card holder, and they have tried to boost the signal using an additional aerial on the screen temporarily, to no avail. That would prove signal reception within the car is not the issue.

As for Tomtom and me chasing them, despite having agreed a comms and escalation process with Mazda, the email I got back from them treated it like any other problem ticket and asked me for more info...which they aren't meant to do. The clincher they didn't give a toss was when they quite glibly said no refund and pointed me to there standard T&Cs. Thanks for nowt Tomtom.

Tom Tom. I don't get that bit as clearly their name is on the product, and they should therefore feel culpable by title alone. Perhaps a misunderstanding. They have offered me an extension to services, or a free map update once resolved, they will not give out both - so they say. Whoopie Do!

Things seem to be progressing and I am getting the message that all consumers will be getting the fix as and when. Not a hardware replacement as far as I am aware, but a software update, possibly a new SD card and a bit of configuration.

Time will tell.

Alex

Last edited:
Sorry if a bit off topic but i have had my cx5 a couple of weeks now but have only just got the manual for the sat nav. I see it refers to an SD card but i have looked everywhere obvious and i cannot see where it is, before i got the manual i assumed that everything was on a hard drive as it is on a lot of cars nowadays. I haven't joined up for live services yet but i may wait for a while until the services seem a bit more reliable.

Sorry if a bit off topic but i have had my cx5 a couple of weeks now but have only just got the manual for the sat nav. I see it refers to an SD card but i have looked everywhere obvious and i cannot see where it is, before i got the manual i assumed that everything was on a hard drive as it is on a lot of cars nowadays. I haven't joined up for live services yet but i may wait for a while until the services seem a bit more reliable.

The SD card is located behind a slider to the right of the steering column (left in North America) just behind a slider. Open that and push the card & it pops out.

Live services will come for free for the first three Months once you have created yourself a log-on with Tom Tom, assuming of course it will work. So you should register ASAP as you can do a map update which is due end October or early November.

Hope that helps

Alex

Thanks for that will have a look today, i have been looking all around the unit/glovebox etc. Will have a readup about the live services, but my maps shouldn't be that old yet. My BMW still had the 2007 dvd that it came with when i p/x'd it.

The map update is a one of offer with a time limit, my 2013 car came with a 2012 map 815 I think it was, last update was august.

It's illegal to drive with sidelights on in the UK. Best to put the dipped headlights on and you should not blind anyone.
It would be nice to have a separate UK section but not sure if the volume warrants it.

Actually whilst I would have agreed with you unless I has been otherwise advised it appears you are wrong. I always believed it was illegal too until a friend on the local constabulary pointed out it is in fact quite legal.

Something to do with being visible to other vehicles etc in dim/poor conditions but there is, I am told, nothing that mandates which lights must be used to achieve that. This is why they are referred to as side lights and not parking lights these days. We live and learn......

Agree too. This would be a safety issue if Mazda fitted bespoke wheels that only the special tyres that they use Yokohama to make, fitted properly. Any tyre of the correct size, speed and load rating will be fine with TPMS.

www.camskill.co.uk are a good place to order tyres from and compare prices.

Just to give you the latest replacement tyre saga. I went back to Mazda and said:
"I understand Mazda will always want their customers to buy Mazda supplied spares, but taking this concept to tyres is surely a step too far. My CX-5 is fitted with Yokohama Geolandar G98 225/65R17 102V tyres. I've looked online and cannot find a single supplier for this tyre. You are saying that should I have a puncture and need a new tyre, I must fit the Yokohama to ensure the TPMS safety device will continue to operate. The implication is that if I have to fit an alternative tyre because, say, there isn't a convenient Mazda main dealer nearby (or it's a Sunday or bank holiday, or I'm on a motorway, etc), then I might be faced with having to replace that brand new tyre with a Yokohama later if the TPMS doesn't work, or worse gives erroneous warnings. This would cost, say, 150 for the alternative brand and 250 for the Yokohama, a total of 400 in all!

This is completely unacceptable. Furthermore, if fitting an alternative tyre "may conflict" with the TPMS (a safety feature on the car) then why isn't there a Warning or Caution in the CX5 handbook? In Section 6-39 there is a Warning saying "Always use wheels of the correct size on your vehicle", but no mention of the consequences of fitting an alternative make to the original.

Mazda's reply:
"Many thanks for your recent e-mail. I have been in contact with my Technical Department who confirmed our recommendation would always be to replace with like for like equipment. They have advised that the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is not specifically a safety feature of the vehicle; its main function is to reduce emissions and improve the MPG by keeping the tyres at the optimum pressure.

In regards to section 6-39 in the owners manual this refers to replacing the wheels on the vehicle only. Section 6-33 in the owners manual refers to the tyres, it states to use a tyre of the same spec, size tyres, radial, bias belted, bias type on all four wheels. The only way to be certain this will happen is by using the same make and model tyre and each tyre manufacturer will differ in the tyre production."

He must have a different manual to me; section 6-33 in mine is about the battery!

I believe he meant to say 6-34.

From the online manual for the US I believe.

"
WARNING
Using Different Tire Types:
Driving your vehicle with different
types of tires is dangerous. It could
cause poor handling and poor
braking; leading to loss of control.
Except for the limited use of the
temporary spare tire, use only the
same type tires (radial, bias-belted,
bias-type) on all four wheels.
Using Wrong-Sized Tires:
Using any other tire size than what is
specified for your Mazda (page 9-7) is
dangerous. It could seriously affect
ride, handling, ground clearance, tire
clearance, and speedometer
calibration. This could cause you to
have an accident. Use only tires that
are the correct size specified for your
Mazda."

Personally I wouldn't worry about it, in 12 months time the exact spec will be available.
The tyres for the 19" wheels were also rare not long back.

Last edited:
Hi,

Coming up to my first 1000 miles, and have just done a true fuel consumption check, full to full.

I've got 44.8 MPG for my SE-L Nav AUTO, which I'm very pleased with! This was a mix of round and about town, and 1 longer trip of 300 miles. I deliberately kept to all speed limits and only used full acceleration when necessary. For interest the car's average MGP computer gave 45.9 MPG, so quite accurate.

Overall, very pleased with the car. Still coming up with the occasional oddity but digging into the manual finds most of the answers.

Actually whilst I would have agreed with you unless I has been otherwise advised it appears you are wrong. I always believed it was illegal too until a friend on the local constabulary pointed out it is in fact quite legal.

Something to do with being visible to other vehicles etc in dim/poor conditions but there is, I am told, nothing that mandates which lights must be used to achieve that. This is why they are referred to as side lights and not parking lights these days. We live and learn......

Agreed, driving with side lights contravenes the Highway code but that is not a criminal offence, i.e. illegal.......though maybe it should be. The amount of dopey drivers (especially in dark coloured vehicles) that persist to drive with side-lights on for reasons unknown is maddening.

driving with side lights contravenes the Highway code but that is not a criminal offence

As Perusal says, it isn't illegal, but I also cannot see how this contravenes the Highway code either.
In fact code 113 states "ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise".
IMO they need to be on before sunset, but i guess its difficult to state a specific level of darkness.

Though I very much agree its annoying that some drivers forget to put headlights on after transitioning from dusk to dark.

I'm glad you've checked the average reading accuracy, just confirm that's its near enough accurate for me.

I'm surprised it is that accurate though as my speedo shows 3mph high at 60, checked against the nav.

I have checked the nav speed against a Garmin, and it reads identical.

As an aside my LIVE services are once again, dead dead dead.

Oh and my Galaxy Y failed to connect again today, and when I finally got it to, although it said it was ringing, it actually wasn't, but worked normally from the phone direct, the car then had to cheek to put a message up asking if I wanted to transfer to the car!!

51.5 mpg on the 15 mile outward journey today, 46.5 on the return, no motorway but rush hour traffic.

Hi,

Coming up to my first 1000 miles, and have just done a true fuel consumption check, full to full.

I've got 44.8 MPG for my SE-L Nav AUTO, which I'm very pleased with! This was a mix of round and about town, and 1 longer trip of 300 miles. I deliberately kept to all speed limits and only used full acceleration when necessary. For interest the car's average MGP computer gave 45.9 MPG, so quite accurate.

Overall, very pleased with the car. Still coming up with the occasional oddity but digging into the manual finds most of the answers.

I'm glad you've checked the average reading accuracy, just confirm that's its near enough accurate for me.

I'm surprised it is that accurate though as my speedo shows 3mph high at 60, checked against the nav.

I have checked the nav speed against a Garmin, and it reads identical.

As an aside my LIVE services are once again, dead dead dead.

Oh and my Galaxy Y failed to connect again today, and when I finally got it to, although it said it was ringing, it actually wasn't, but worked normally from the phone direct, the car then had to cheek to put a message up asking if I wanted to transfer to the car!!

51.5 mpg on the 15 mile outward journey today, 46.5 on the return, no motorway but rush hour traffic.

That MPG's for manual, but with more horses, so pretty good. I suppose mine will improve as mileage increases.
Strangely my Live Services started working a couple of weeks ago and not failed since. And just to rub it in, my Galaxy S2 connects no problem, and I also get text messages, albeit you have to 'download' them and then select from a list.

My car's been good on economy from day 1, probably because I didn't bother to run it in, it started from day one with a 44mpg average.
I also towed with it at 400 miles, handbook says wait till 600 miles. Towing a 1565kg caravan most I've had is 29mpg.

For anyone wanting to tow, I can tell you now that's it's absolutely brilliant, from the ten tow cars I've had its easily the most stable, and quickest, last Sunday it actually TOWED away from 1K revs in sixth gear!

Those last figures I gave are with just over one and a half thousand miles.

Thanks for the phone feedback, I don't use mobiles much, mainly in the car, its a talktalk phone with under a year of the contract, otherwise it would have been binned, at 5 a month its good value.
I'm forming a list of future replacements so the s2 is the first on it.

I was particularly pissed yesterday that it failed to connect as I'd just won a fishing match, and wanted to share the news with the wife.

Last edited:
My car has average 42mpg since built which includes the small journeys for PDI and movements at my local dealer. I've now done 300 miles! And am varying the revs as per manual. I expect average to increase once the engine is run in.

Dealer did pair my phone but now it no longer connects to the car.

Also, I keep getting some annoying pop-up on the top-left corner of the screen (blue with a musical note symbol) - haven't manage to find out what this means but it gets in the way!!

Additionally screen says there is a new greennote (or something) update to download. I consulted the manual but the website it mentions makes no sense nor does the manual???!!!!

Now my last point, I wanted to understand what other owners have felt when accelerating hard out of corners? The car has massive understeer when pressing on and when applying throttle out of corners, it would appear that if the car has too much roll, steering input, the roll and yaw sensors determine that engine power must be reduced and or the brakes applied, so that the car physically slows down by itself. This makes for unsatisfying driving. Now I know it's not a performance car but being able to have a little fun too wouldn't go amiss. I have yet to turn off the traction control to see of that stops the interference. Anyone else felt this?

Back