Hatchkitten's Protege5 Thread!

Thanks man. Yeahhhh about that. I have to post up what's been going on with my p5 I actually found that my intake got messed up as well. Going to spring for an AEM or K&N and just say the hell with it lol. I'll most likely drop a huge post tonight with pics and whatnot. It's been an interesting spring/start of summer for me. lol.

It's the soft aluminum piping. I reinforced mine and cushioned the area between the impact zones. Sorry I couldn't catch it sooner and maybe save yours

Hey guys! So I've inadvertently been on a hiatus from the forums. Computer broke, took a road trip or two, work, the boyfriends engine in the Miata died...you know...the usual lol.
So since May:

-I nodded off while driving home from the city and curbed the car on one of those pedestrian intersection triangles...yeah I'm pissed...
-This is the front passenger side. The rear passenger side is minimal.
IMG_2184-1.jpg

-I put my "PhillyB Hates Me" sticker on the hatch
IMG_1525.jpg

-I installed my Thule bike hitch
IMG_2186.jpg

-We had our Nator NY Memorial day BBQ / Going away party for one of our USMC members.
-Yes...I am the only girl...lol :p
IMG_2071.jpg

-Mark's Miata's brakes failed on him and he lost the caliper clip and pads while driving home.
IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1925.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg

-Went to Massachusetts to visit Walkingchaos and replace my EGR valve and learn how to do my own oil change lol
IMG_2259.jpg

-Found out my SRI had been compromised
IMG_2255.jpg

-A little poking around showed it was pretty thin and it created a pretty sizable hole
IMG_2256.jpg

-Made a temporary fix for it
IMG_2257.jpg

-Went upstate to visit GrumpyJap and broke down on the way home...(ok long story)
Driving home to Long Island on the Palisades Pkwy I noticed my battery light had come on.
I immediately looked at my volt gauge and it was reading 13...not my normal 14.
I keep an eye on it and it drops again to 12...I thought to myself "ok, s*** this is not good..."
Weighing my options I could have
A) kept going an possibly stalled out on the George Washington Bridge
B) been lucky enough to make it across and stall out on the Cross Bronx Expressway
C) take the last exit before the tolls and try my luck and most likely stall out in New Jersey.
I took option C... I got off the Palisades and googled the nearest auto store...2 miles ok
I remember saying "i think i can i think i can!" Like I'm the little engine that freaking could lol
Well before I know it I'm at 10 volts then 9... and then I panic and pulled into the nearest gas station.
At 8 I scramble to roll my windows up in case it rains...they halt 3 inches from the top. My air bag light starts to flash, my led footwell lighting turns off...then my radio...then *click click click*
The engine cuts out on me.

Then the calls begin...I made a total of 40 calls in less than an hour, contacting local Nator NJ and Nator NY guys to figure out what options I had. I was graciously walked through what to inspect under the hood and I find this...
IMG_2432.jpg

That is the power steering / AC belt. It hopped around the pulley and one or two of the ribs on it were fully eaten away.
My alternator / water pump belt behind it only had pathetic remnants of what used to be a belt hanging onto it for dear life.
My coolant overflow cap had flown off and there was coolant all over my engine/battery/everything.

At least I had a view in the meantime...
IMG_2434.jpg

In the end I had my very own Nator roadside assistance come out from Queens to lend me a helping hand, belts, coolant, tools and all. So now I'm all good :)
IMG_2442.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

It's been quite an eventful few months to say the least...

Currently, I am looking into a new intake. Leaning towards an AEM or K&N (in red of course).
I don't really care how much it is. Any one have one and have opinions?

Also looking into coil overs. Sorry Slipkornvayne, having second thoughts about the mp3 springs. Anyone else want them? Just pay for shipping?

Soooooo...questions? Comments? I miss you guys! What's everyone been up to?

wow that sucks. Glad someone came to help you out. Its kool with the springs didnt need them. I have my coilovers anyways. I still gotta finish up my car been slacking majorly.

It's so weird that our intakes failed at the same time. I guarantee if they had a warranty, it just ran out

That was actually a 15 minute job. super easy... However i did not replace it with the Canadian version. after looking at it and figuring we would have to T into vacuum seals and i was 400 miles from home...we just sourced an american upgraded one from a local auto shop. Needless to say...I have a canadian EGR for sale! lol

American = small electric based and just the metal unit.
Canadian = same unit but vacuum based has 2 coolant hoses and 1 vacuum hose and they are rather large too. It is supposed to be more reliable because it was designed for harsh temperature changes that you would experience in Canada.

BUT BUT how did you get it done that easy? I TRIED twice and those bolts are like so hard to get to or to even loosen them. like there is barely any room to mess with it :/

hmmm... im not sure lol keep in mind i have a freakishly clean and relatively rust free engine bay. i mean it took more time to line it up with the new gasket than it did to get the old one off haha. *shrug*

i have a clean bay too. just cant find a way to get access to it easily to loosen them or anything. which socket, tool you used? i even took off the tb and nothing :(

You'll have to take your intake off to get a good hand in there...you don't actually have to take off your throttle body...we just used your standard every day socket wrench..i cant remember what size socket though...when in doubt 10mm/12mm should be your first guess...that's most of the bolts on these cars.

Latest posts

Back