GI: Transmission Gearsets

Sounds super nice focus. The price I think is a very good range for the quality of what we are getting. And this may be a stupid question but I realize this kit fixes the high hp issues with breaking tranny's but what about smoothnes of operation? Is this tranny smooth and fast shift friendly. Cause this notchy tranny is driving me crazy.

And I am the kind of person who likes to upgrade everything else before I throw lots of power at a car, so if my money is there I would be interested in this when I get to that point.

Just wondering if this tranny is still in the making or was dropped?

i know this post is like a year old, but that tranny exists and is sitting in Focus' basement. it's not just pics taken off of a website or something. i'm pretty sure they can make another one for anybody who comes up with the money =)

Just wondering if this tranny is still in the making or was dropped?

i know this post is like a year old, but that tranny exists and is sitting in Focus' basement. it's not just pics taken off of a website or something. i'm pretty sure they can make another one for anybody who comes up with the money =)

i might be interested then. price>?

Yeah, what Focus has is good stuff, I've contemplated getting some myself. I have not had any luck in my efforts to do it otherwise through my sources.

Guys, Just a little info on gears. This is comming from Mustangs but still applies to us. They like to use the stock gears 3:27 as opposed to say 3:53, 3:73, or 4:10's. Reason being the 3:27 puts more of a load on the turbo to work harder. So the guys with bigger turbos can get them to spool earlier.So if it were me I would want to go with a tall 1st gear and a tall 5th gear to get the revs down to maybe 2500rpm when cruising at say 70mph

Guys, Just a little info on gears. This is comming from Mustangs but still applies to us. They like to use the stock gears 3:27 as opposed to say 3:53, 3:73, or 4:10's. Reason being the 3:27 puts more of a load on the turbo to work harder. So the guys with bigger turbos can get them to spool earlier.So if it were me I would want to go with a tall 1st gear and a tall 5th gear to get the revs down to maybe 2500rpm when cruising at say 70mph

Yep that's right. ALso I would like to mention if we had a taller 5th gear we could possibly get close to 190mph if u had about 300whp. I could be wrong on the numbers but we could deff go faster than 140 in my dash

Yep that's right. ALso I would like to mention if we had a taller 5th gear we could possibly get close to 190mph if u had about 300whp. I could be wrong on the numbers but we could deff go faster than 140 in my dash

300whp does not contribute a whole lot unless it is in the upper ranges. Top speed is mostly gearing. A factor of the gear ratios and final drive ratio.

Having more power just gets you to the top speed faster.

Last edited:
will this set's be available till upcoming years? I want a full set but for next Christmas.

Why is a light flywheel bad for turbos? i have one brand new still packed so i don't want to open it if it is wrong for a turbo set-up..

300whp does not contribute a whole lot unless it is in the upper ranges. Top speed is mostly gearing. A factor of the gear ratios and final drive ratio.

Having more power just gets you to the top speed faster.

You don't get what I'm sying. I'm saying it doesn't matter if your final drive ratio is geared for 200mph. If you don't have the HP to get there you will never see 200mph and with the stock Protege only seeing 90 sum whp

If you have the above mentioned 300whp with a taller gear you could possibly see 200mph and the way the Protege is currently geared you will deff run way out of gear before you can even get close

You don't get what I'm sying. I'm saying it doesn't matter if your final drive ratio is geared for 200mph. If you don't have the HP to get there you will never see 200mph and with the stock Protege only seeing 90 sum whp

If you have the above mentioned 300whp with a taller gear you could possibly see 200mph and the way the Protege is currently geared you will deff run way out of gear before you can even get close

with the protege's aerodynamics, you'd need more close to 420-480HP, and a couple miles of open track. Most people are not willing to loose their ABS in order to disable to electronic limiter, so that's a problem too.

Last edited:

You gotta realize here that with the drag coefficient on the car (or any car for that matter) power requirements increase exponentially for the higher speed you try to acheive. For example, the Veyron only requires like 350hp to reach 150mph, but needs another 650hp to reach 200mph. There is a HUGE increase in power consumption to overcome the physics trying to limit the car. And the Veyron is a slight bit more aerodynamic than a brick like a MSP.

That being said, I think with around 350hp 170mph would be doable. There are some gears out there that would be able to hit that for the protege. Some of you know that this was my big project, a 170mph MSP, so i've done quite a bit of research. First off, at that speed, EVERYTHING starts to factor into your overall top speed, gaps in the bodywork, side mirrors, the wing, door handles, all start producing copious amounts of drag. And lets not even mention the underbody aerodynamics on a MSP. I was going to have to construct an complete underbody pan with centuri's to channel air flow correctly underneath the vehicle. Not to mention the added safety equipment needed to really be anywhere near safe to do a high speed run. 6pt harnesses, roll cage, and the biggest damn brakes you can find. And not to mention you're going to need some high quality rubber to do a run. Stock tires won't get you there.

Otherwise, all you have is a VERY unstable, VERY dangerous car. I've done 151mph on stock gearing with 222whp/255tq at the wheels on a mustang dyno. Thats about 300bhp. I think 350 (with a bigger more efficient turbo), RF 5th gear, and some extensive aero work could get it there.

I still might do it, but frankly, its probably another 20-30k in work on a car that I couldn't sell last year for 13k (with 40k of work already in it). Good investment? Not so much.

Back