GI: Transmission Gearsets

For example, the Veyron only requires like 350hp to reach 150mph, but needs another 650hp to reach 200mph.

Man I agree with everything you said but this statement

That damn Veyron is a damn tank. How much does it weigh?

Also you can get any 03-04 Cobra that puts out 500whp and it will easily see 200mph

with the protege's aerodynamics, you'd need more close to 420-480HP, and a couple miles of open track. Most people are not willing to loose their ABS in order to disable to electronic limiter, so that's a problem too.

I've got no limiter, and i've got ABS?

Man I agree with everything you said but this statement

Thats according to Clarkson in his Top Gear review. I can't find which part of the hour episode its in, but thats what he said. But it is to get to 254mph, not just 200mph, which does make a big difference I would assume.

Thats according to Clarkson in his Top Gear review. I can't find which part of the hour episode its in, but thats what he said. But it is to get to 254mph, not just 200mph, which does make a big difference I would assume.
it was capitan slow that made the statement,

it's 270bph to get to 155, and 730 more to 253mph.

I've got no limiter, and i've got ABS?
I'm running off information from somone else that had the stock ECU and found a way to bypass the limiter. I'm assuming you're running a stand-alone?

That damn Veyron is a damn tank. How much does it weigh?
~4160lbs.

the thing is though, it's not that it can go 253mph.. but it's completly stable at that speed. go to youtube and watch topgear do it. Just search "top gear top speed"

except for extra road noise.. there's no dramatics (shaking and such)

Once again, for the thousandth time THERE IS NO SPEED GOVERNOR ON THE PROTEGE!!!

As the Daedalus man said...yeap...it hits hard at 136 on mine...I even got a pic of it on the hud display. (argh)

I'm sure it's more of a fuel cut thing than a speed limiter. Where's Edwin?

For reference... stock ECU uses the ABS on equipped cars for generating the speed... non ABS cars have a mechanical gear drive in the transmission to get speed.

Focus and Turf Burn:
I'm also a transmission destroyer. I have an MX-3 with a KL 2.5 turbo engine on the last dyno it had 426 hp with 390 tq @ 26 psi with a best time of 11.42 @ 125 (best millage 127 on other pass) no wheelie bars and of course on slicks. Right now the car is having a vacation until a solution to the 3 & 4 gear breakage is found. I've been reading 13 pages since your original post, but have not seen that anyone has bought the transmission or individual gears so of course I'm interested. Is it available?, Are individual gears available? please let me know and prices. Here in Puerto Rico there is a guy that had made 3 & 4 gears from some guys in Australia but they're really expensive and of course did not tell me who the contact is since he is a tuner
and would sell them to me. by the way he has 680 hp from a 2.0 fs engine and it's using them. I saw the gears and look a lot like the ones in your photos. From my research found a site from par-engineering and sent then an e-mail, but they have not answered yet. I wonder if they're the ones who makes them and/or yours. Sorry for the long letter, but I wanted to give you all the facts. TITOMX3

Focus,
thanks for the info., are you a distributor or do you know if it has to be bought from them directly.
Tito

bah, I don't see anything on their site about the protege transmission anymore...

focus: any chance you could give me a list of everything they had done for you? I sent them a message, but I wanna make sure that I can get everything covered

bah, I don't see anything on their site about the protege transmission anymore...

focus: any chance you could give me a list of everything they had done for you? I sent them a message, but I wanna make sure that I can get everything covered

yeah website doesn't mention anything about the protege, but they still make 1-4th straight or helical, single or double synchro, needle bearing or normal bearing, ring and pinion, and reinforced shaft cups (which you have to have your tranny milled for.) You just have to call them. Gerard is a really cool guy. I just ordered everything they make for the g-series, except for 3rd and 4th which I already have. yes it's expensive but I broke my first and second gears due to spreading. So need straight cut through the whole shebang.

thanks for the heads up
btw if you are interested I have a transmission for sale right now with a Quaife LSD already installed and all the gears cryo treated...if you're interested I could work out a good deal for ya, I just havent put it up for sale on here yet cause I gotta take pictures of it tomorrow first

thanks for the heads up
btw if you are interested I have a transmission for sale right now with a Quaife LSD already installed and all the gears cryo treated...if you're interested I could work out a good deal for ya, I just havent put it up for sale on here yet cause I gotta take pictures of it tomorrow first

Thanks, but already have a Quaife LSD and 3rd and 4th PAR straight cut needle bearing gears. Car is making approximately 390 whp and 350 ft/lbs on 15 psi of boost on pump gas. I plan on taking it up to 24psi on race gas. So really need to beef things up, which is why I'm going to add the rest of the PAR transmission parts. I've also got a Spec stage 5 sintered iron clutch on order too (the car mutilated my 6puck).

nice setup! I was looking to make about that range before I spun a bearing haha...I had a 6-puck in it too (it was a custom made clutch from a shop down in so-cal that my buddy knows) and I absolutely loved it

anywho, if you ever hear of anyone looking for a tranny with a quaife in it lmk! let's not treadjack this thread haha

Latest posts

Back