fuel pump internals upgrade 101

HEY CGHMS3, i see that people have answered your questions and i thought id add my $.02. My buddy and i both have speed3's and he also had a speed6 before this and we had both done the ptp fuel pump internals once we had simple bold ons and we were happy with them. also if you were to call cobb tuning in texas (although they always recommend the save way out) they would tell you that you should definetly do a fuel pump upgrade with anything past an intake. Also as far as your doubts about reliability, i disagree and i say that because my buddys speed6 had every bolt on he could and a bigger turbo and had it maxed out running 12.6 in the 1/4 mile for a good 10k miles and he was doing fine. That may not be the best thing to do haha but his car was making about 400 lbs of torque and about 350 hp. His speed3 was an e85 car with about the same numbers and that car was also safe and strong. one last thing, i work at the dealership (mazda) and we have a ton of happy speed3 owners and of course theres the few that wreck the motor but they were driving like a jackass. just thought id add some expierience, GOOD LUCK!!!

Thanks for your $.02 mariomspeed - I got the Autotech fuel pump rebuild kit, and also a James Barone Racing oil catch can through Edgeautosport.com, and I feel that the motor is now ready for some horsepower/torque upgrades! Just need to save up some $$

Just installed my fuel pump internals from auto tech and so far I like it. I haven't gotten to get on it much because it's been nonstop rain but when I do I dont see the fuel pressure going anywhere under 1600 which is good. It wasn't that hard of an installation if you have all the tools on hand and ready. We had to make multiple trips to the store and got really lucky. So before anybody reccomends doing it look at everything you need first. My only concern is it more likely to smoke at idle since I'm running an after market downpipe/racepipe (catless) ? I do have a hypertech tuner to raise my idle but I'm just wondering if this has happened to anybody?

Ive got the internals sitting on my counter right now. Debating on whether to install them myself or have some local ms3 peeps help because I don't have a vice. Definitely going to get them in there either way though

Hi Darren08-I had a shop install my Autotech internals, took them a little over 1/2 hour. I have physical limitations, so I could not tackle the job. Good luck, and you won't have to worrry about fuel pressure issues if you decide to upgrade your motor!

Make sure you have fuel pump gaskets available when you make the change. My car has been leaking oil.

Back