CX-5 fuel pump shutoff reset button?

I was just reminded of a time I spent several hours troubleshooting a friends car. The engine would not start after hitting a large pothole.

I eventually stumbled on to a fuel pump cut-off reset button. Press the button, the car starts right up. The car used an inertial sensor to determine the car may have been in an accident. The sensor shuts off the fuel pump. The reset button turns it back on again.

After searching the owners manual and the interwebs, I can find no mention of a fuel pump cutoff reset button for y 2023 Mazda CX-5.

Does the CX-5 even have a fuel cutoff reset button?

If yes, where is it located?

If no, how does it handle fuel pump cut-off in an accident?

Thanks, TR

I did some more digging. The CX-5 likely does not have an inertia cutoff switch.

This is for a 2019 CX-9:
"It does not have an inertia switch. There is a fuel disable switch that is built in to the SRS/Airbag control module in the event of an accident in which airbags are deployed. In this event, then control module has to be sent out to be reset and reprogrammed."

The good news: It requires air bag deployment to shut off fuel. Air bag deployment is unlikely with a pothole strike.

The bad news: No more push button reset. It's off to the dealer for reprogramming.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks, TR

I tried to look up my 2016 Jeep Wrangler JKU, and no fuel reset info at all.

Interestingly, I found two newer, non-wrangler, Jeeps that offer a reset.

A 2020 model that still had the physical reset button under the dash.

A 2018 Compass that had a digital reset. It involved toggling between right blinker, off, and left blinker multiple times.

Odd that my 2016 has no option, but newer models have the reset available.

I guess that's why I have an AAA membership. Just get it towed. 😜

Back