First 1K - some thoughts

Guys, redlining a car (now a days) with an auto is not going to ruin it! The auto industry is very conservative with the redline as they don't want warranty claims! If you drive a direct injection, redlining won't help clear deposits though. Let's just hope the heat around the intake valves that Mazda did research on is enough. I haven't heard anything bad yet so time will tell

Last edited:
Yes... in manual mode it will allow you to bring to the redline, but after ~10 seconds at redline(?) it realizes that you forgot to shift, and it will go ahead and up shift for you.

Little known fact, when talking about the MANUAL MODE....When the Mazda5 first came out in 2006, the Manual mode feature was responsible for a few car fires, as there were drivers who forgot to upshift, and who were on the highway pegging the tach at redline for miles... causing the exhaust systems to overheat and catch fire! Within several weeks, Mazda recalled all of the Mazda5's to change the shift logic of the MANUAL mode, and they added shielding to the body from the exhaust heat, and lowered the muffler from the body slightly...

Good to know. Thank you :D

Unnecessary strain? No. That's what I'm trying to get across. The car is designed to get close to redline. It's not harmful at all. You can't actually hit the redline. The car will shift before it hits that.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Indeed. Besides during day to day traffic, chances of redlining it for extended periods is not always possible

Also, you haven't lived if you haven't driven a an RX7 or RX8. There's something magical about them.

No experience with the 8, but with the FD you have to take it out on a lapping day or autox. The handling is just awesome on that car!
That said on highway cruising in flat south florida I got at best 22mpg HWY only but luckily you get to haul around a 20gal gas tank so you don't have to fill up THAT often.

No experience with the 8, but with the FD you have to take it out on a lapping day or autox. The handling is just awesome on that car!
That said on highway cruising in flat south florida I got at best 22mpg HWY only but luckily you get to haul around a 20gal gas tank so you don't have to fill up THAT often.
The man tran rotaries that are flogged and exercised to redline thoroughly last a long time... The rotaries attached to automatic transmissions, or that are stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and never get revved, die a quick death...

I sure miss mine...

Latest posts

Back