Anyone else have their battery "crash" on a new CX-5 after being parked for four hours?

Last night at the party, we had 6 of the guys come over to help me wife get her car started. These guys are all a bunch of knowledgeable gear heads. They have been turning wrenches on their cars for 50+ years. They know cars. They all have new, hi-tech cars as well. When I asked my wife if she maybe accidentally left the car ON, almost in unison, they all said "It can't be that. The car would automatically shut off to protect the battery". I would have been the seventh guy to voice that opinion had I been there! When I took it to the dealer (42 miles away!) the following day to have them sort out where the drain was, they tested the battery and, I assume, the charging system and could find nothing wrong. They kept saying something must have been left on, but never suggested it might have been the ignition. I even got Mazda Customer Assistance involved. They were also no help.
So here's one for you. One thing we've struggled with the entire 2 months we've had it is how to get the memory seat properly programmed to the fob so that the seat automatically adjusts to the right setting when the door is opened. It will work about once after I think I've got the fob done and then the next time you have to hit the #1 or #2 seat button to activate it. Have you managed to get that sorted yet?

Paris1,

Thanks for the memory seat tip, but our CX-5 lacks that option. Things like that are so frustrating.

My wife's biggest nemesis has been the radio and infotainment screen.

Every time she started the car, the radio would come on. She couldn't find anything in the 731 page manual. She called the dealer and received instructions that would turn the radio off, but each time she started the car, the radio turns back on. She finally cobbled together a series of button pushes and knob twisting to keep it off, but c'mon man!

The other issue was the infotainment screen running all the time. It is annoying and distracting, especially at night. We wanted just a clock display as the default operation. The salesman gave her a series of steps that turns the screen completely off, with no clock. Then next time she started the car, the whole busy screen was back. Again, she came up with a series of steps to turn off the infotainment and keep the clock as the default operation.

Lovin' my Jeep right now, TR

I've seen that complaint about the radio a few times now. Doesn't seem to bother my wife (it's her DD), but it would me. Especially since it's not an issue on my 2018 3 hatchback. As for the screen, I think my wife has it set to display the clock permanently, but I'm not positive as I don't spend that much time in the car.

RB, I think she tried that, but I will definitely pass it along to her.

Thank you for the helpful reply, TR
RB,

I just told my wife about pushing the volume button. She has tried that.

On the CX-5 pushing the volume button turns off the entire infotainment system, including radio. Now the home button and others can't be used.

When she pushes it again, the infotainment fires back up.... And so does the radio.

Worth trying.

TR

My battery has now crashed twice. Once during the night I drove it home from the dealership and again with just 1800 miles on it. It definitely sounds like these are not isolated incidents. Nothing was left on either time in my car. Both times I was home, but I bought a new car so I could have something dependable to drive, and hate the idea the battery will just randomly stop functioning anytime anywhere and leave me stranded!

My battery has now crashed twice. Once during the night I drove it home from the dealership and again with just 1800 miles on it. It definitely sounds like these are not isolated incidents. Nothing was left on either time in my car. Both times I was home, but I bought a new car so I could have something dependable to drive, and hate the idea the battery will just randomly stop functioning anytime anywhere and leave me stranded!
What do you mean by crash? Battery dead?? Did you jump it to get it started?
If so take it to the dealer and let them test the battery.

Yes when I get in the car in the morning it’s completely dead. Had battery checked at Auto Zone and nothing is wrong with it.
So what are you doing to get going again?

If a battery is dead, it has to be charged. But if you got it to Autozone and it checks out, then you're fine, so the way you describe the issue is a bit confusing. It would help because if the battery is intermittently not functioning it points to an electrical problem with the car more than the battery itself.

Latest posts

Back