Anyone else have their battery "crash" on a new CX-5 after being parked for four hours?

:
23 CX-5 Premium
Less than 2 months old CX-5 premium with 1k miles. Wife parks it for a late afternoon musical event in mild temperature and when she returns it won't turn over. Dash lights and gauges are going crazy, under hood relay of some sort is clicking and a weird buzzer is intertitently going off behind the back seat! Mazda roadside service sends some guy with nothing but a "starter box" which is not powerful enough to turn the engine over, so we left the car in the (secure) parking lot and returned the next morning with jumper cables which worked to get the car running. By that time the battery was stone cold dead, with nary a light showing anywhere. Spent the afternoon waiting in the nearest (42 miles away) dealer's waiting room while they checked the car over. Turns out, after all that, it didn't throw any codes, the battery and electrical system checked out OK and they had no idea why it did what it did. Anyone out there have any thoughts?

Something is not right. Your dealer should maybe replace it.
I leave my 2023 cx5 signature that is 2 months old at the airport and had no issues even after 15 days.

I found this: Reddit - Dive into anything
which sounds identical to what we experienced, but when I run the VIN through the MyMazda App, it doesn't show any outstanding recalls. I can't seem to find anything online that shows what VINs were affected by this software problem. I'm waiting for a call-back from the dealer who worked on it to see if they can shed any light on it.

I did check that site and no luck. What it's looking like is this was a recognized problem for early 2000/01 CX-5s, but nothing later. The problem is it's so similar to what I experienced that it's hard not to suspect that it's still an issue. I'm going to give Mazda Customer Assistance a call tomorrow and see if I can learn anything more.

As you described the situation, with the battery completely dead, it will never hold a good charge again. Mazda, at least, should replace the battery.

As you described the situation, with the battery completely dead, it will never hold a good charge again. Mazda, at least, should replace the battery.
What you suggested only applies to older battery. The OP's battery is new, and if healthy, a total drain likely won't damage the battery. For a 3-4 yr-old battery, I agree with you.

However, OP can certainly ask for a new 12V battery. I would if I were in the same situation. Dealer would likely refuse it since Mazda might not approve. Doesn't hurt to ask.

This Remote Tuner Module is totally new to me.
Never heard of it. Just watched some videos explaining it.
Is this a new thing for 2023?

What you suggested only applies to older battery. The OP's battery is new, and if healthy, a total drain likely won't damage the battery. For a 3-4 yr-old battery, I agree with you.

However, OP can certainly ask for a new 12V battery. I would if I were in the same situation. Dealer would likely refuse it since Mazda might not approve. Doesn't hurt to ask.

A load test will tell the tale . . .

Can you provide link to videos?

Remote tuner module is not a new thing. Your ‘22 has one too.

Remote tuner module is not a new thing. Your ‘22 has one too.
First time heard of it.
Thanks for pointing that out.

First time heard of it.
Thanks for pointing that out.
So according to the link, the remote radio tuner moves the tuning function to the rear of the car closer to the antenna. As it happens, when the battery in our car was in its death throws, there was a strange, intermitent beeping coming from the rear of the car. How coincidental! Waiting for a response from Mazda Customer Assistance.

I am somewhat surprised that this low power device can bring a battery down in 4 hours, and be fixable by software. Love to know what's going on inside.

Apparently, one of the functions it controls does not get shut down when the ignition is turned off. But I agree, it's hard to imagine it draining that much power in such a short time. On the other hand, if it's a cumulative power drain, and the battery was already in a marginal state of charge when she parked the car, the module not shutting down could have finished the job in that amount of time.

Is it possible the car was accidentally left ON?

see: Brand New CX-5, Dead Battery!!!

Battery was dead in 4 hours.
Thank you so much for your account of your wife's dead battery experience in your other post. This was the kind of response I was hoping for when I started this thread! Talking to my wife this morning about this, she admitted to being a little intimidated by the electronics of her new CX-5 and thinks there's a possibility that she did something like your wife did the night her battery died. Now maybe I can relax a little over this issue and stop carrying jumper cables in the trunk of my car!

Paris1,

I am happy that this was helpful to you and your wife. My wife is also a bit intimidated by all the new tech, along with the included steep learning curve. She has spent hours watching videos, doing web searches, and pouring over the owners manual to try to get it sorted out.

Last night on the way home, we figured out how to dim the dash lights. Just this morning, my wife figured how to lock the rear hatch without digging out the fob. With the fob in her purse, she can just push a hatch button to unlock the hatch, but had to dig out the fob to then lock the hatch. She has now discovered the "other" hatch button to lock the hatch.

These new cars are complex and quite different from the legacy cars of the previous 40 years. I spent my career in the tech industry. I am not a dumb guy. Now retired, with an aging brain, even I am struggling to digest all the many features on this car.

The wireless key is part of the problem. With a key, there is a physical object to help you remember. If you need to roll up the windows, you turn the key to ON. When you are done, that physical object gets removed, turning the car OFF, and placed in your pocket/purse. If not, an alert chime will ring till you. With the keyless entry/ignition, the fob stays in her purse or my pocket. When you sit down to start the car, you never touch the fob. Same with getting out. You just touch a button, and get out.

The whole mind process/muscle memory is so different. Using everything in the car is just a bunch of button pushes (and a knob turn). The key/fob is never involved. I can completely see how she inadvertently left the car ON after rolling the windows up. There is no "key removal" as a step or reminder.

My biggest frustration is that Mazda has taken steps to protect the battery from draining by implementing auto-shutoff headlights and auto shut-off ACC. But does not see it fitting to have auto shut-off from ON.

Worse, the MyMazda app will send my wife phone alerts for an unlocked door, but not for leaving the car ON, which will deeply drain the battery.

Last night at the party, we had 6 of the guys come over to help me wife get her car started. These guys are all a bunch of knowledgeable gear heads. They have been turning wrenches on their cars for 50+ years. They know cars. They all have new, hi-tech cars as well. When I asked my wife if she maybe accidentally left the car ON, almost in unison, they all said "It can't be that. The car would automatically shut off to protect the battery". Well, not the CX-5.

I am really starting to appreciate the zen-like simplicity of my 2016 Jeep Wrangler. No key fob, no infotainmemt system, analog dash controls, manual door locks, manual windows. Just turn the key and drive :)

Hopefully my post will be helpful to assist other new owners from dodging this pitfall, or at least understand why their brand new Mazda has a dead battery.

Cheers, TR

Back