Engine Oil Rise

I understand I was one of the first to receive the ECU update and dipstick B back towards the end of January. This resulted in minor slowing of the oil level rise but still meant I'd reach the original X mark level in around 3,000 to 3,700 miles.

So the 'fix hadn't worked for me.

The dipstick modification with much higher X-mark was clearly a time buying measure by Mazda, to give them some slack with new and existing Mazda owners whilst they really address the issue. This in itself is clearly no fix and this was independently verified by an independent expert.

So for me, I could not continue with the fuel dilution doing untold wear/damage to the engine, the risk of 'self fuelling', the cost of 4 oil changes per year and the most awful customer experience beyond imagination from MazdaUK.

So for me, I pursued a full refund under the sale of goods act 1979 as the vehicle was so far from the performance specification it was deemed 'unfit for purpose'. I'm pleased to say my case has now finally and completely settled. I must stress, MazdaUK were more than difficult at each and every step of the way, both with myself and my dealer but my dealer were a completely different story; helpful and persevering through the same pain with MazdaUK.

I have amassed so much information that I'm looking into a dedicated post or possibly site.

For those of you for whom the fixed has truly worked then I'm pleased for you. For those others, my refund and return of vehicle gives me the peace of mind that I will never, ever have to deal with the atrocious levels of customer service at MazdaUK again.

soupafly,

really sorry to hear about your troubles.

what was the vin or build date of yours?

I think a lot of us would welcome more info about your case to help us out if we start heading down the same route as you. At least some good could come out of your misfortune.

Can you keep us up to date with your new ride so we can have a comparison. After all, you'd be driving the same journeys you did in your cx?

soupafly,

really sorry to hear about your troubles.

what was the vin or build date of yours?

I think a lot of us would welcome more info about your case to help us out if we start heading down the same route as you. At least some good could come out of your misfortune.

Can you keep us up to date with your new ride so we can have a comparison. After all, you'd be driving the same journeys you did in your cx?

Dad of Jon et.al.

I will indeed provide more information, just bear with me over coming weeks whilst I compile it.

My vehicle arrived with my dealer at the end of August 2012 after arriving in the country immediately before. I'm not sure the week number of build but someone of this forum may be able to hazard a guess based on shipping lead-time. the car had sequence number of almost 126000 (from VIN).

It wouldn't be fair to compare my new ride to the CX-5 here. How can one compare a car which works without issue to one which has major mechanical issues and spent 6weeks in the workshop only to not have the problem fixed? Needless to say I'm no longer a Mazda customer.

My oil is sitting 1mm below the X. Not sure how long I should wait before going to my local dealer and experiencing the service from hell again!

well today I had dipstick c fitted and I assume an ecu update. I'll need to dig out the thread detailing how to find your ecu version. According to the garage the oil was nowhere near the x! this is weird because I've read the dipstick by inserting the stick with the x mark towards me standing at the front of the car. I had 2 'successful' readings on consecutive days and they were both on the x. this is after 3800 miles of driving.

I said "IF the oil is up to the X I want it changing and if Mazda won't cover that under warranty, do it anyway and I will contact them to reimburse the cost. What seemed to be heard was "change the oil anyway". Ok it was 35 pounds and on a 23,000 pound car that is small change, but you can rest assured all my future requests will be printed out and handed over rather than spoken!

So I can't exactly expect Mazda to refund that. On the positive side I now have an easier to read dipstick which will help a lot and IF the oil level was nowhere near the X i'd assume I could have driven a lot longer before reaching the X. So I'm not expecting the car to reach the X between services given it's now double the distance away from the full mark and that I was nowhere near the X mark in the first place (rolleyes)(unamused)

So what actually happens if you reach the X mark and just keep driving? Engine warning light and Mazda can see a high oil level error?

well today I had dipstick c fitted and I assume an ecu update. I'll need to dig out the thread detailing how to find your ecu version. According to the garage the oil was nowhere near the x! this is weird because I've read the dipstick by inserting the stick with the x mark towards me standing at the front of the car. I had 2 'successful' readings on consecutive days and they were both on the x. this is after 3800 miles of driving.

Mine crept up to the X in less than 6,000 miles

I said "IF the oil is up to the X I want it changing and if Mazda won't cover that under warranty, do it anyway and I will contact them to reimburse the cost. What seemed to be heard was "change the oil anyway". Ok it was 35 pounds and on a 23,000 pound car that is small change, but you can rest assured all my future requests will be printed out and handed over rather than spoken!

Exactly the same as myself, except my Mazda Dealer charged me 117. The dealership made it plain this was not covered by Mazda and as I was more concerned re dilution of lubricant over cost I paid up.

So I can't exactly expect Mazda to refund that.

YES YOU CAN!

Simply phone customer services, tell them what your concerns are & why; as well as point out "This is a Recognised Problem" I did just that and told them I was not happy having an oil change on a modern car in less than half the time anticipated. They instructed the dealership to reimburse, which of course they did.

On the positive side I now have an easier to read dipstick which will help a lot and IF the oil level was nowhere near the X i'd assume I could have driven a lot longer before reaching the X. So I'm not expecting the car to reach the X between services given it's now double the distance away from the full mark and that I was nowhere near the X mark in the first place (rolleyes)(unamused)

Think about it, the more people who get in touch & seek a refund, the more Mazda will sit up & take notice and deal with it.

Alex

So what actually happens if you reach the X mark and just keep driving? Engine warning light and Mazda can see a high oil level error?

Absolutely F-all in my experience, no lights, no warnings. It's the unknown possible engine damage that supposedly can be caused by going over the X that everyone is worried about.... I've just not given a damn and kept on driving!

Sound advise Alex
Too many people don't fight for their rights.

Mine crept up to the X in less than 6,000 miles

Exactly the same as myself, except my Mazda Dealer charged me 117. The dealership made it plain this was not covered by Mazda and as I was more concerned re dilution of lubricant over cost I paid up.

YES YOU CAN!

Simply phone customer services, tell them what your concerns are & why; as well as point out "This is a Recognised Problem" I did just that and told them I was not happy having an oil change on a modern car in less than half the time anticipated. They instructed the dealership to reimburse, which of course they did.

Think about it, the more people who get in touch & seek a refund, the more Mazda will sit up & take notice and deal with it.

Alex

I just have received a letter from Mazda asking me to go to the dealer "as soon as possible" to change the exhaust pressure sensor.

Well WNJ, my gold automotive technician I had to hire to get Mazda to listen would most definitely disagree with you, as would RAC.

I have a RAC car stating the vehicle must not be driven with oil level at X mark. I also have a legal expert witness report claiming that if unchecked and with continued oil level rise, the engine can self fuel itself on sump oil/fuel and uncontrollably run, requiring a new power plant. Even without such a devastating situation, my expert states fuel dilution of engine oil does untold engine damage over the longer term which is very difficult to quantify. He told me that it would probably get to a 3 year warranty expiration period without issue, but would shorten longer term engine life.

Well WNJ, my gold automotive technician I had to hire to get Mazda to listen would most definitely disagree with you, as would RAC.

I have a RAC car stating the vehicle must not be driven with oil level at X mark. I also have a legal expert witness report claiming that if unchecked and with continued oil level rise, the engine can self fuel itself on sump oil/fuel and uncontrollably run, requiring a new power plant. Even without such a devastating situation, my expert states fuel dilution of engine oil does untold engine damage over the longer term which is very difficult to quantify. He told me that it would probably get to a 3 year warranty expiration period without issue, but would shorten longer term engine life.

Fair enough, I wasn't saying that nothing happens, just that I hadn't experienced anything (so far, atleast, going by your info). I'm just not one to worry, is too much effort!

The regeneration cycle has to reach a certain temperature so the injected deisel that is used to clean the DPF that is located in the exhaust is cleaned.This is controlled by the ECU there are other units involved such as a pressure device that measures the millibars of pressure both sides of the DPF should read 0. The problem arises when the vehicle does a lot of short runs and the exhaust does not get up temperature this causes unburnt diesel to find its way into the oil.I know in uk this item can be removed and ECU re programmed to stop DPF regeneration end of problem only if vehicle is out of warranty

As long as some "Boffin" at Mazda doesn't try to equate short journeys in my case as the root cause of the problem, then suggest it is my driving style etc that is behind this.

I replace my car every 3 years, and always diesel. whether VW group, Peugeot/Citreon and Saab, never before have I had similar issues.

My "runs" are into town and back approx 4 miles each way, and up to my local golf course, about 1 mile each way. But there are plenty of long motorway trips as well.

My next door neighbour bought a Diesel BMW about 6 months before I bought my Mazda and undertakes much about the same journeys that I cover. He has not had any issues, and he has been assured by BMW he will not need to have an oil change for at least 18,000 miles.

Since the mod I haven't really been anywhere, and I'm in Canada at present so won't be doing anything for a while, but I will keep an eye on things once I get back.

If all sorted, then all fine dandy.

Will wait & see.

Alex

Yes Alex, but how many of those cars had a PDF?

My 4.5 year old Xtrail has one, and I do get a little engine oil rise, this isn't unique to Mazda.

The difference is the CX5 rise is excessive, and not acceptable, perhaps your next car will be a BMW, but these cars also have problems, whether petrol or diesel.

I usually keep my cars up to 5 years old, but if they give any on going problems they do not stay around long.
I've only had to move two cars quickly, a Honda Accord and a Mini metro.

Mazda is only a small company so it will have to sort this problem or ultimately go under.

Yes Alex, but how many of those cars had a PDF?

Good point, neighbours BMW may well have as his CO-2 emissions are about the same as mine. Doesn't make it the same set up though.

My 4.5 year old Xtrail has one, and I do get a little engine oil rise, this isn't unique to Mazda.

The difference is the CX5 rise is excessive, and not acceptable, perhaps your next car will be a BMW, but these cars also have problems, whether petrol or diesel.

I usually keep my cars up to 5 years old, but if they give any on going problems they do not stay around long.
I've only had to move two cars quickly, a Honda Accord and a Mini metro.

Metro is excusable. We Brits could never make a decent run of the mill family car. Surprised with the Honda, but is easy to pick up what you thought at the time was good.

Mazda is only a small company so it will have to sort this problem or ultimately go under.

I'm sure they will, as long as it is reported back to them by consumers and dealerships. If people just go to a local repairer or do it themselves, will go unreported.

Alex

Alex1706 is defined as short runs his oil rise will have to be monitored at regular weekly checks.my personal drive is 84 miles every 4 days in a week so my oil rise will be minimal but that's no excuse not to do weekly check,s

Alex1706 is defined as short runs his oil rise will have to be monitored at regular weekly checks.my personal drive is 84 miles every 4 days in a week so my oil rise will be minimal but that's no excuse not to do weekly check,s

So anything 5 miles and over is ok and doesnt require weekly oil checks?

Sorry to sound like a tit, but this is a complete grey area, a complete joke on us by Mazda. Never have I had such BS during ownership of 8 cars over the last 23 years!

Back