Engine Oil Rise

Dr.Watson this is a joke. A car is to be used as a car. We were not advised to do anything different when they took our money. To have these worries in a 2012/13 car is innaceptable.

Hi everyone,

Can someone with a CX-5, 2013 built date shed some light on whether is suffering from premature oil rise?
My CX-5 2.2 diesel 175hp will be delivered in a couple of weeks and I am trying to figure out whether I should take delivery of it or not. Since it will be built March-April 2013 I figure that it will have the oil rise software patch and "C" dipstick so I expect to have no premature oil rise problems.

All feedback is very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Mine went in to day for the TSB fixes. A "C" dipstick was fitted, a software update and a new sensor in the exhaust fitted. I'm hoping all should be ok now.

YES YOU CAN!

Simply phone customer services, tell them what your concerns are & why; as well as point out "This is a Recognised Problem" I did just that and told them I was not happy having an oil change on a modern car in less than half the time anticipated. They instructed the dealership to reimburse, which of course they did.

Think about it, the more people who get in touch & seek a refund, the more Mazda will sit up & take notice and deal with it.

Alex

It tells you to change the oil on page 6-22 if it reaches the X. I have previously communicated my concerns to Mazda about unscheduled oil-changes between recommended service intervals, so they'll get another letter.

As long as some "Boffin" at Mazda doesn't try to equate short journeys in my case as the root cause of the problem, then suggest it is my driving style etc that is behind this.

I replace my car every 3 years, and always diesel. whether VW group, Peugeot/Citreon and Saab, never before have I had similar issues.

My "runs" are into town and back approx 4 miles each way, and up to my local golf course, about 1 mile each way. But there are plenty of long motorway trips as well.

My next door neighbour bought a Diesel BMW about 6 months before I bought my Mazda and undertakes much about the same journeys that I cover. He has not had any issues, and he has been assured by BMW he will not need to have an oil change for at least 18,000 miles.

Since the mod I haven't really been anywhere, and I'm in Canada at present so won't be doing anything for a while, but I will keep an eye on things once I get back.

If all sorted, then all fine dandy.

Will wait & see.

Alex

page 4-141 on the manual says repeatedly driven for 10 mins or less or driven while engine is cold may cause the dpf light to come on.

you'll have to give up golf, change your car or change your golf course:p

Seriously diesels with dpf's are no good for short trips. The manual suggests 10 minute drives or less. My previous dpf didn't have any problems but then I don't do short cold engine trips and that car was only euro 5 standard.

I'm so glad the Aussies had the diesel first and were able to do a lot of beta testing for us. - it made sense for Mazda to try it out nearby, so it was easier to look into the bugs 'locally' rather than the other side of the world... :)

Sound advise Alex
Too many people don't fight for their rights.

I am aware of my rights Xtrail, and I will sort it out to my satisfaction, but to me in the grand scheme of things it's a small sum of money.

I had an upvc door fitted once with the window so far down the door I had to bend down to see who was calling!
They refused to replace saying that was what i'd asked for, as If(gtfo).

That was an 800 quid error by the installers, went to small claims court and they then agreed to settle out of court and replace it. On course by that time they'd spent far more on solicitors than if they'd changed it in the first place.

It's off topic I know, but so far for me at least it's nowhere near my upvc door level of aggro and the sums so far are smaller. Soupafly on the other hand seems to have had a lifetime of 'upvc doors worth of hassle'

It tells you to change the oil on page 6-22 if it reaches the X. I have previously communicated my concerns to Mazda about unscheduled oil-changes between recommended service intervals, so they'll get another letter.

page 4-141 on the manual says repeatedly driven for 10 mins or less or driven while engine is cold may cause the dpf light to come on.

you'll have to give up golf, change your car or change your golf course:p

Seriously diesels with dpf's are no good for short trips. The manual suggests 10 minute drives or less. My previous dpf didn't have any problems but then I don't do short cold engine trips and that car was only euro 5 standard.

I'm so glad the Aussies had the diesel first and were able to do a lot of beta testing for us. - it made sense for Mazda to try it out nearby, so it was easier to look into the bugs 'locally' rather than the other side of the world... :)

That is a good example of the grey area, right there in the manual.

It takes me about 9 mins to work when the autobahn is busy, when not, around 7. I live about 1/4 of a mile from the slip road on to the autobahn and my work is 1/4 mile off at the other side. The blue light to say the engine s not cold goes out before I reach the slip road to join. I drive 8 miles to work.

So technically I have bought the wrong car for the journey?

But if my sister living in London bought it and travels 0.5 miles in 15 mins, it's ok! Incidentally, she has a Quashqai +2, diesel, and loves the mpg for short journeys in London compared to her Q5.

Last edited:
Dad
My comment was a general one, not aimed at you.

The more people complain to Mazda and car mags, not just on the forums, the quicker the problems will be resolved.

I keep reading about short journeys being no good for DPF diesels, I've spent over 4 years doing short journeys and never seen a DPF light up,
in my experience its nonsense, I have only covered 26K miles since Feb 2009.

If you monitor the whirl pool forum, uses of the diesel who do mainly motorway miles are still having issues.

It takes me about 9 mins to work when the autobahn is busy, when not, around 7. I live about 1/4 of a mile from the slip road on to the autobahn and my work is 1/4 mile off at the other side. The blue light to say the engine s not cold goes out before I reach the slip road to join. I drive 8 miles to work.

But if my sister living in London bought it and travels 0.5 miles in 15 mins, it's ok! Incidentally, she has a Quashqai +2, diesel, and loves the mpg for short journeys in London compared to her Q5.

True, I just get in a spiral trying to navigate those forums, the name fits perfectly!

I've had bigger issues over longer periods of time Dad of John, but I've never had such shocking treatment by any organisation as I've had with MazdaUK. The car issues I can accept as part of the new product introduction process but for me, mazdaUK completely lost my trust when they began lying and they lost credibility when they implemented a fix consisting of a raised X mark.

It is because of this that I'm preparing to publish my story. A style of customer service such as theirs is not conducive to a sustainable business model. Customers will look elsewhere and their brand value will erode.

I am aware of my rights Xtrail, and I will sort it out to my satisfaction, but to me in the grand scheme of things it's a small sum of money.

I had an upvc door fitted once with the window so far down the door I had to bend down to see who was calling!
They refused to replace saying that was what i'd asked for, as If(gtfo).

That was an 800 quid error by the installers, went to small claims court and they then agreed to settle out of court and replace it. On course by that time they'd spent far more on solicitors than if they'd changed it in the first place.

It's off topic I know, but so far for me at least it's nowhere near my upvc door level of aggro and the sums so far are smaller. Soupafly on the other hand seems to have had a lifetime of 'upvc doors worth of hassle'

The way I see it I'll be doing MazdaUK a favour in publishing my story of bad customer service. Those who gave the bad customer service already know, but will they act... I doubt it considering they wouldn't ever admit a problem, a wrong-doing or give an apology. So by exposing their shortcomings, it gives the superiors an opportunity to take note and improve their performance before more leave the Mazda family. Mazda Japan I'm sure would be intrigued to know just how annoyed one UK (ex)customer is/was.

I've had bigger issues over longer periods of time Dad of John, but I've never had such shocking treatment by any organisation as I've had with MazdaUK. The car issues I can accept as part of the new product introduction process but for me, mazdaUK completely lost my trust when they began lying and they lost credibility when they implemented a fix consisting of a raised X mark.

It is because of this that I'm preparing to publish my story. A style of customer service such as theirs is not conducive to a sustainable business model. Customers will look elsewhere and their brand value will erode.

The more people complain to Mazda and car mags, not just on the forums, the quicker the problems will be resolved.

Exactly, never thought of the car mags, but I suspect if anyone alienates Mazda in doing so, they may not get all the support they perhaps deserve.

Perhaps my cynical view?

In answer to another point I saw where there appears to be some confusion re oil rising, rather than dropping.

The rise is due to dilution thanks to the DPF regime which puts a dose of diesel fuel into the oil sump every time there is a particle filter regeneration. Under ideal conditions there will be gradual rise, and of course he viscosity will gradually reduce as a result. If however there are unconventional circumstances, then this will kick-in earlier, and if unchecked can lead to engine/bore damage.

I like someone's point that company car drivers would probably not keep an eye on things.

Last edited:

I think your sister would fall foul of the continuously driven at speeds under 9mph also on page 4-141.
if its all short journeys and slow speeds (like a relative of mine does) a diesel with a dpf is not the best idea.

If the warning dpf light comes on a good blast on the motorway would sort. If you do those anyway you'd be clearing up the filter

I keep reading about short journeys being no good for DPF diesels, I've spent over 4 years doing short journeys and never seen a DPF light up,
in my experience its nonsense, I have only covered 26K miles since Feb 2009.

If you monitor the whirl pool forum, uses of the diesel who do mainly motorway miles are still having issues.

did you say you tow a caravan? - high engine speeds/ high engine loads are ideal for cleaning the filter. I remember that from my old diesel manual.

anyways whilst at the garage I saw a pile of mazda's delivered to the garage, still with their zeebrugge shipping tag attached. so I had traced my car from zebrugge to avonmouth. how long for yours to arrive?

anyways whilst at the garage I saw a pile of mazda's delivered to the garage, still with their zeebrugge shipping tag attached. so I had traced my car from zebrugge to avonmouth. how long for yours to arrive?

I am told that mine is due May 26 but that is Sunday and Monday is a bank holiday so will be taking delivery June 1 WOW I have been waiting since Feb 12. This is in Somerset.

I am told that mine is due May 26 but that is Sunday and Monday is a bank holiday so will be taking delivery June 1 WOW I have been waiting since Feb 12. This is in Somerset.

Thats about 2 weeks less that I had to wait for mine. It's worth the wait!

My car also lives in a integral garage so rarely gets started up with temperatures below 5 degrees C.

I do tour but only say 8 times a year, and not normally for long, my last tour was a 45 minute trip one way.

I've been given end of July for delivery.

I would have thought the cars would have all come at once?

did you say you tow a caravan? - high engine speeds/ high engine loads are ideal for cleaning the filter. I remember that from my old diesel manual.

My car also lives in a integral garage so rarely gets started up with temperatures below 5 degrees C.

I do tour but only say 8 times a year, and not normally for long, my last tour was a 45 minute trip one way.

I've been given end of July for delivery.

I would have thought the cars would have all come at once?

BIG ship from hiroshima to Zebbrugge then smaller ships to various ports in the UK.

All scotland mazdas go to rosyth.

yours might come in via grimsby? or hull.

tilbury for the SE england and avonmouth for SW and midlands?

let us know what dipstick you've got. you should have the 'c'.

Back