Drag race : Mazda Cx5 2016 vs 2018

Yep, you can have that in the US, I'm in California (just need to order, then install the parts)...and nope, not a dealer option in the US.

Zoom, freakin zoom!
So this could be a do it yourself deal?
Would it be manageable for a relatively competent person with tools, or have to be subbed out?
Do you know have pix?

Zoom, freakin zoom!
So this could be a do it yourself deal?
Would it be manageable for a relatively competent person with tools, or have to be subbed out?
Do you know have pix?

I installed them on my 2016 CX5. It wasn't difficult. Took me about 4-6 hours because I work slowly. The airbag must be removed and you have to plug wires into the ECM.

Go on the Mazda 3 forums as they have pics of the install. It should be the same on the 2017+ CX5.

I just was reading it, found it searching [thanks, Lbear]. Fantastic write up! A++ Thanks for putting that together. Glad to know that this is possible. I had no idea. (headbang)

The paddle shifter install/upgrade is my favorite mod/option on the CX-5.
It is used during every driving session by either myself or my wife, and I only wish I had installed it on earlier CX-5's.
(band2)

Market for manuals is too small to justify having it

blow-me-3613729.png

There are actually. IIRC Mazda sells some of the highest % of their vehicles with manuals, of any mainstream brands.

Yes but it's still small in over all terms.

Any way, it would be nice to have a manual but I don't see it happening, atleast in mainstream CX-5.

Now if a Mazda CX-5 MPS (called Mazdaspeed in USA/Canada) with manual transmission becomes a reality...... (drive2)

Last edited:
Yes but it's still small in over all terms.

Any way, it would be nice to have a manual but I don't see it happening, atleast in mainstream CX-5.

Now if a Mazda CX-5 MPS (called Mazdaspeed in USA/Canada) with manual transmission becomes a reality...... (drive2)

Of course it is, nobody's arguing otherwise. Doesn't mean there isn't a market for it and Mazda owners tend to be a proportionately larger market for manuals than most other companies.

Sure, that and/or the diesel and/or an "Outbacked/Alltracked" version of the 6 would all be great.

Of course it is, nobody's arguing otherwise. Doesn't mean there isn't a market for it and Mazda owners tend to be a proportionately larger market for manuals than most other companies.

Sure, that and/or the diesel and/or an "Outbacked/Alltracked" version of the 6 would all be great.
Fair points

Last edited:
There's no market. Disproportionate or not. Manual transmissions make up 3% of the US Market. 3...percent. Face it, dinosaurs...the writing is on the wall.
The disappearing stick shift: Less than 3% of cars sold in the U.S. have manual transmissions

http://www.latimes.com/business/aut...-disappearing-stick-shift-20161115-story.html

Though I agree, they should. You can't blame them.

That was from 2016 FWIW. I think I recall seeing it bump up to ~6% for 2017. And Europe, Asia etc have far higher take rates on manuals.

But yup, they're certainly an endangered species here in North America (should now qualify for extra insurance rebates as an additional anti theft device! (rlaugh) ).

However Mazda has something like a 15% take rate on the 3 and something over 50% on the Miata. I think the 6 is at 6 or 7% (and in Canada, the base 2.0L CX5 is still available with one), so clearly a higher percentage of Mazda customers still want them. Seems that's something Mazda should focus on as part of it's core demographic.

Latest posts

Back