Drag race : Mazda Cx5 2016 vs 2018

And to get back to the drag, I stomped it today from a stop [I almost never drive like that], and it was by far the worst few seconds of driving satisfaction that I've had with this car.

In normal driving it feels great, peppy but not squirrelly. But when you've really got to move, it just ain't there. (drive2)

It's a 190hp/3500# (rounded) SUV, lol That puts it in early 90's pony-car territory...which still is kinda cool.

Honda sells enough of everything that they could take a loss on a few specialty items. But they don't do it for long.
Mazda sadly can't afford to subsidize our wishlist.
Solid, shmalid. We're not their bros, we're just their customers.
But we can dream and complain.

This is true. A company that won't even include live traffic NAV in 2018 certainly is not the one to accuse of catering to customer requests.

It's like the typewriter, VHS player and cassette player. It's time to let it go

Manuals are eventually going to be all but gone. They have autos that can be put into manual mode....

It still doesn't have the same satisfaction. I have also found manuals to be much more reliable, as a whole. I honestly would have bought manual in this vehicle if only to not have to worry about the AT.

Horse doody.

People still do all manner of things because they're fun regardless of how practical or pragmatic.

Auto's, no matter how well they're designed - more efficient, faster or otherwise - are simply not as engaging or fun to drive. It's isn't about obsolescence.

Isn't this why people bought a 2.5L CX5 and the 2.0 CX5 died?

I can see why the big manufacturers have aspirations to get rid of manual boxes because the can’t control emissions with them. I must admit the box and clutch in the CX-5s here are the slickest I’ve come across but if drivers are going to grow horns the most effective way is to take out the weak link. Do you not get the same effect changing manually or is something missing? I’m quite happy with my auto.
Well an actual manual shifter with the left foot having a clutch is part of the fun and experience of a manual.

Manual mode is great but it's not the same.

Do you not get the same effect changing manually or is something missing?

Quite decidedly.

It still doesn't have the same satisfaction. I have also found manuals to be much more reliable, as a whole. I honestly would have bought manual in this vehicle if only to not have to worry about the AT.

Yes and yes.

Isn't this why people bought a 2.5L CX5 and the 2.0 CX5 died?

Still get the 2.0L here in Canada with a manual but that motor's barely fun in the shorter, lighter 3. I'd just get a 3 Sport GT with the 2.5L and a stick (or a Sportwagen).

Well an actual manual shifter with the left foot having a clutch is part of the fun and experience of a manual.

Manual mode is great but it's not the same.

Not remotely the same. The instant anyone comments on their 'manual mode' or paddles being 'comparable', I know they frankly haven't a clue about driving (rlaugh)

Quite decidedly.

Yes and yes.

Still get the 2.0L here in Canada with a manual but that motor's barely fun in the shorter, lighter 3. I'd just get a 3 Sport GT with the 2.5L and a stick (or a Sportwagen).

Not remotely the same. The instant anyone comments on their 'manual mode' or paddles being 'comparable', I know they frankly haven't a clue about driving (rlaugh)

This.

Manual mode or paddle shifters on a regular auto isn't the same as manual vehicle.

Possibly only type of transmission that comes close is to a manual dual clutch autos

Manual mode or paddle shifters on a regular auto isn't the same as manual vehicle.

Possibly only type of transmission that comes close is to a manual dual clutch autos

Still not anywhere near the same, as you don't modulate the clutch, maintenance is much more intensive, the box costs a TON, and the visceral aspect is sadly lacking in comparison to banging out your own shifts or a perfectly orchestrated heel-toe. It's like they took what's bad about a manual, and what's bad about an automatic, married the two, and the only benefit you got was a few tenths off the ticker in some circumstances. ABSOLUTELY the ticket for people who race for money, in certain types of driving, but otherwise just for lazy millennials who claim to "drive manual".

Still not anywhere near the same, as you don't modulate the clutch, maintenance is much more intensive, the box costs a TON, and the visceral aspect is sadly lacking in comparison to banging out your own shifts or a perfectly orchestrated heel-toe. It's like they took what's bad about a manual, and what's bad about an automatic, married the two, and the only benefit you got was a few tenths off the ticker in some circumstances. ABSOLUTELY the ticket for people who race for money, in certain types of driving, but otherwise just for lazy millennials who claim to "drive manual".

I agree with your points plus want to add low speed hesitation is a massive turn off for me.

I agree with your points plus want to add low speed hesitation is a massive turn off for me.

Yep, and that is the one thing I guess we can argue an automatic with a high stall speed fixes. Either that, or get 'nuff motor! I had low speed hesitation in my Trans Am because it only had 350hp/similar torque and weighed about 3700. I had no (notable, I think the 0-60 from a dig was 3.7, and 4.1 or so from a 5mph roll, that's tolerable) low speed hesitation in my corvette because it had 505hp/470# torque or so, and weighed 3375# or so with me in it. So my solution to low-speed hesitation is get enough motor that it isn't a problem. Which is kindof my solution to "my car isn't fast enough for me".

DSG's can provide a hellacious launch, but they don't do anything over a manual for that low-speed roll on. Then, manuals can provide a hellacious launch too.

Brake Torquing

Has anyone tried brake torquing their Gen2? If so, how'd it go?

If the TC doesn't like to slip, as is reported here, does that make it harder on the tranny [than it would ordinarily be, which is plenty]?

True confession: I blew up my old man's 64 Impala powerglide doing that [doing it over and over and over]. So I hesitate to try it on my new CX-5. But if it's relatively safe, it might be the only way to get off the line quick.

Has anyone tried brake torquing their Gen2? If so, how'd it go?

If the TC doesn't like to slip, as is reported here, does that make it harder on the tranny [than it would ordinarily be, which is plenty]?

True confession: I blew up my old man's 64 Impala powerglide doing that [doing it over and over and over]. So I hesitate to try it on my new CX-5. But if it's relatively safe, it might be the only way to get off the line quick.

"Flashing" the torque converter is likely to yield a similar, if not higher stall speed than torque braking it, especially if any nannies exist to prevent damage from same.

Yep, and that is the one thing I guess we can argue an automatic with a high stall speed fixes. Either that, or get 'nuff motor! I had low speed hesitation in my Trans Am because it only had 350hp/similar torque and weighed about 3700. I had no (notable, I think the 0-60 from a dig was 3.7, and 4.1 or so from a 5mph roll, that's tolerable) low speed hesitation in my corvette because it had 505hp/470# torque or so, and weighed 3375# or so with me in it. So my solution to low-speed hesitation is get enough motor that it isn't a problem. Which is kindof my solution to "my car isn't fast enough for me".

DSG's can provide a hellacious launch, but they don't do anything over a manual for that low-speed roll on. Then, manuals can provide a hellacious launch too.

Sounded like the 'box brains weren't quick enough to react when needed. (hmm)

DSG's can be down right dangerous if you are needing to do a sudden take off after say doing a u-turn followed by a very quick stop then off again.

Last edited:

THIS ^^^^

Are we related? (rlaugh)

When the day comes that I can non longer buy a non electric, non manual transmission car...just give me a self driving appliance. All the fun will be gone anyway so what's the point? I may as well be able to work/read/surf the net while my appliance shuttles me from A to B.

Freaking joyless lemmings...

Back