CX-5 vs. CR-V and Escape

Here's a review on all three.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1204_ford_escape_vs_honda_cr_v_vs_mazda_cx_5_comparison/
2013-Ford-Escape-vs-2012-Honda-CR-V-vs-2013-Mazda-CX-5-group-left-side-view.jpg

In the end, they prefered the CX-5

a very slow circle jerk. too fat for 155 hp.

I know. A high 8-second 0-60 time with a manual and low 9s with an automatic is just dangerous. Why, you'll die the moment you try to merge into highway traffic! (because you're a terrible driver texting your brosef while stuffing french fries in your gullet and steering with your kneecaps).

Every time I see a Ford Fiesta on the roads I cry a little, because due to the slow acceleration those cars instantly explode the moment they make contact with an interstate.

I know. A high 8-second 0-60 time with a manual and low 9s with an automatic is just dangerous. Why, you'll die the moment you try to merge into highway traffic! (because you're a terrible driver texting your brosef while stuffing french fries in your gullet and steering with your kneecaps).

Every time I see a Ford Fiesta on the roads I cry a little, because due to the slow acceleration those cars instantly explode the moment they make contact with an interstate.

Yes, lol, I have the same dramatic non-reaction, not that it matters.

The CRV's extra horsepower is blunted by extremely tall gearing, outdated 5 speed tranny and extra 100+ pounds of weight. It even looks slow.

No doubt the Escape 2.0L turbo is faster, gas mileage isn't even close. The 1.6L turbo should be somewhat quicker than CX-5, with only slightly lower (1mpg) combined EPA gas mileage rating, so that's the most comparable model and intented to be the highest volume config.

I think the escape is an extra 300 pounds compared to the CX-5. The 0-60 times should be quite similar.

I still have a hard time understanding why 0-60 in 9 seconds is slow (for some). (eyeballs)

1.6 turbo requires premium gas (at least 5% extra, translates to 1-1.5 mpg)

Yes, Ford allows you to run with regular or premium fuel and they list horsepower accordingly for 1.6L/2.0L (recently updated by Ford):

178 @ 5700 (premium fuel)
173 @ 5700 (regular fuel)

240 @ 5500 (premium fuel)
231 @ 5500 (regular fuel)

Not to mention Ford's higher price point on the Escape. To get similarly equiped to the CX-5 Touring you're looking at over $2500 more. Yeah 33mpg hwy instead of the Cx-5's 32. I'll take one less mpg for a lower monthly note and car that is leaps and bounds more fun to drive.

Many manufactures' quoted mpg can be way out these days as they jockey for position. The motoring press here are now commenting on this as some manufactures are quoting, for example, more than 65 mpg for a car and in the real world it only achieves, say, 50 mpg. One magazine has a True MPG calculator. Of course this is an estimate. (This link won't apply to most on the forum as models vary so much with country and fuel ratings, but it's there for anyone interested. Just click on the red box to fill in what's relevant. The number of cars listed at the moment isn't very many)

Last edited:
I bet the milage rates are using premium fuel...

Not sure. EPA (US) website shows regular fuel.

btw - The EPA gas mileage figures were just released today for the 1.6L turbo AWD Escape: 22 city / 30 highway / 25 combined.

So the CX-5 AWD is in solid 1st place for fuel economy in its class (25/31/28).

Does anyone have any predictions on when the 2014 cx-5 will be released in the US? There probably won't be any noticeable changes but I will be buying a new vehicle sometime early 2013 and would love to get the manual cx-5. I just would like to know if the 2014 model year cx-5 will be out by Feb/March of 2013 so I can get the new one instead of the current 2013 cx-5.

Just saw a commercial to boast the new Ford line: Focus, Fusion and Escape. One feature I noticed exclusively to the Escape was a feature when a man put his foot under the rear bumper and the lift gate opened. It seems like a pretty useful feature when your hands are full.

IMO Ford is, and has always, been geared around the luxuries in technology including SYNC and self parking monitors seen in the new Fusion.

Mazda has roots of style and gas efficiency. Loving my CX5

Considering only AWD vehicles, I've been considering the Forester, CX-5, CR-V, RAV-4 and Escape.
The cheapest Escape AWD is $27K, which is $3K more than the others. MPG is average in the group.
The CR-V's back-end is functional but does not look good. MPG is average. It has higher HP figures but does not have anymore torque and is practically one of the slower vehicles in the group. Honda might be changing it again, to receive a DI engine and different transmission, but it's not clear when.
The CX-5 is the most underpowered but is not the slowest in the group. It has the best MPG in the group and probably looks the best. It definitely rides the best. The Diesel should be available Jan - April 2013 in the US, only with 6AT. Based on the Australian price ratio gas/diesel, I guestimate it will be around $25K USD.
The Forester has below average MPG and has only 4 speeds in it's AT. However, it probably has the better AWD system of the bunch.
The RAV-4 will be all-new in 2013. No information is available, though I'd guess it will have the same engine, tweaked to get better MPG, but all-new look. Hopefully, all-new transmission 6AT to replace the 4AT in the 4cyl model. It should be available early 2013 AFAIK. The current 2012 model is pretty peppy but with below average MPG (again, "average" is in this set of cars I've mentioned).

Personally, I really want the Diesel CX-5. However, the uncertainty of when it will be available when I am ready to buy now is killing me.
Based on non-US numbers, CX-5 Diesel should have ~15% better MPG than the gas model, where diesel is ~7% more expensive than regular here in California, so overall, it should be a modest improvement in $/mile compared to the gas.

Last edited:
Just saw a commercial to boast the new Ford line: Focus, Fusion and Escape. One feature I noticed exclusively to the Escape was a feature when a man put his foot under the rear bumper and the lift gate opened.
I'm just trying to imagine someone sitting at a stoplight in busy traffic and a cat or something runs under the rear bumper and the lift gate opens. : )

Speaking of new Escape, it should be here in about a week.

Personally, I really want the Diesel CX-5. However, the uncertainty of when it will be available when I am ready to buy now is killing me.
Based on non-US numbers, CX-5 Diesel should have ~15% better MPG than the gas model, where diesel is ~7% more expensive than regular here in California, so overall, it should be a modest improvement in $/mile compared to the gas.

Diesel is more expensive in Australia too. You don't choose on the basis purely of fuel economy. It's false economy given the expense of the engine over the petrol.
I personally chose because the performance is significantly better than the petrol. Performance is about 20% or more better.

Diesel is more expensive in Australia too. You don't choose on the basis purely of fuel economy. It's false economy given the expense of the engine over the petrol.
I personally chose because the performance is significantly better than the petrol. Performance is about 20% or more better.

Likewise. I'm choosing the diesel for the high torque and hence good in-gear acceleration for overtaking.

I have the CX-5 GT on order -- it will be 6 weeks waiting by the time I finally get it -- I won't get it until the first or second week of June, but it will be worth it. Before I made the decision on the CX-5, I was seriously looking at the 2012 Escape Hybrid and then looked at the 2013 Escape. It had to be AWD for going up in the mountains during the winter. I also checked out the VW TDI Jetta Sportwagen, Audi A3, Subaru Outback, Honda CRV and Toyota RAV. I am mainly focused on gas mileage; price and looks. It all came down to the CX-5 having the best price for all the goodies you get; the gas mileage is great and I think it is a really nice, sporty-looking vehicle - inside and out. I don't like the looks of the 2013 Ford Escape and the gas mileage and price sucks. The extra money for the 2012 Escape Hybrid isn't worth it. I do kind of wish the CX-5 Bose Surround Sound would accommodate more than one CD at a time, but I'm sure I'll adjust. I just went and bought the car without having my husband go with me -- he doesn't want a new car but I wanted to replace the Focus I was driving after 6 years of trying to be "thrifty". He is driving the gas sucking but extremely comfy Chrysler Town & Country that I gave up for the Focus... I'll bet money he'll fall in love with the CX-5. He can get his own!! LOL!!

Back