CX-5 vs. CR-V and Escape

The Escape is going to get a lot of people who are looking for something that feels a bit more modern inside. Personally I would take the CX-5's interior any day, but it looks dated. When the Ward's Best Interiors list came out the arm-chair enthusiasts were constantly whining that the CX-5 doesn't belong on the list. Why? It looks boring! Ford has a certain modern design philosophy that a lot of people enjoy.
Interior design: It must be difficult for manufactures to satisfy not just individuals, but also regions of the world. In the UK (and obviously Germany!) most motoring press 'love' the design of the VW cars, especially the Golf. They say how simple it is to look at and ergonomically. In France, they like the more flamboyant design even though it may be 'messy' to use. One thing I have noticed over the years is that some very modern designs look great for a couple of years then trends change and they suddenly look out-of-date whereas the moderate designs (like the Golf and now the CX5) still look fine.

Oh, I agree. Though the CX-5 base model was really the only one in my budget, the fact it lacks even Bluetooth is not a problem for me. I am not a technophobe - in fact, I am employed as a writer and reviewer for several large websites that focus on consumer electronics. Its that experience that makes me prefer cars without tech - because I know today's fancy gadget is going to feel horribly out of date three years ago. I feel sorry for the people who are buying Ford products with MyFordTouch. I know they're going to be insanely jealous when new versions debut with better, higher-resolution displays, additional app support and faster processors.

Interior design: It must be difficult for manufactures to satisfy not just individuals, but also regions of the world. In the UK (and obviously Germany!) most motoring press 'love' the design of the VW cars, especially the Golf. They say how simple it is to look at and ergonomically. In France, they like the more flamboyant design even though it may be 'messy' to use. One thing I have noticed over the years is that some very modern designs look great for a couple of years then trends change and they suddenly look out-of-date whereas the moderate designs (like the Golf and now the CX5) still look fine.

I agree, I think Mazda made right decision to go conservative on interior style, more along the lines of successful premium cars. Good taste ages well in automotive interiors.

I'm looking to purchase a new vehicle early next year. Will they still be selling the cx-5 manual petrol if they bring the diesel to the U.S.? If so, what kind of upgrades/improvements do you think it will have over this years vehicle if any? I really want to drive a manual. Even if they don't offer a manual diesel, I will just have to settle with a manual petrol.

The CX-5 in North America is already being sold as a 2013 model (kind of weird to me). There shouldn't be any noticeable changes since it should in fact be the exact same model as we are getting now, probably just minor problems being fixed. They should still offer manual next year. If they do get rid of the manual, it wouldn't be until mid-cycle refresh which would be in a few more years (3-4) I guess.

Question for the folks who are informed about the diesel; is there a conformation that Mazda will bring the diesel to NA or is it still rumours/what Mazda plans to do?

(sorry for going off topic again)

I don't think that anyone knows for sure.

The guy at the dealer emailed me saying that: "The diesel version has no release date at this time, but we think that we will see it sometime in the 2014 model year. That is when we are expecting the diesels in the other models as well."

Sounds like its something still in the works, with no concrete plans as of yet....

Escape 1.6L still not on EPA website, FWD and AWD will be separate (different ratings).

1.6L Escape EPA rating released.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/27/...oost-officially-rated-at-23-33-mpg/#continued

23 city and 33 highway. So the highway is better than an auto CX-5 which isnt surprising with a small turbo engine. However I suspect that actual combined mileage will be much lower than the CX-5 since the city rating is 26mpg.

And...

"The other powertrains offered in the Escape are returning some pretty impressive fuel economy numbers, too. The naturally aspirated 2.5-liter base engine is rated at 22/31 mpg, and the range-topping 2.0-liter EcoBoost with 240 hp and 270 lb-ft of torque is good for 22/30 mpg. Scroll down for the full details in Ford's press release."

1.6L Escape EPA rating released.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/27/...oost-officially-rated-at-23-33-mpg/#continued

23 city and 33 highway. So the highway is better than an auto CX-5 which isnt surprising with a small turbo engine. However I suspect that actual combined mileage will be much lower than the CX-5 since the city rating is 26mpg.

Yes, since we are talking about front wheel drive (automatic) versions, CX-5 is rated as 26/32, 29 combined

Using same calculation that EPA references on website (55% city, 45% highway), Escape 1.6L fwd combined should be 28 combined.

1.6L (given that 1.6L is planned as top selling engine) AWD still tbd.

See this link: http://autos.ca.msn.com/reviews/2013/2013-ford-escape-first-drive?page=3

"2013 Ford Escape SE/SEL
Price: $26,899-$33,799
Type of vehicle: FWD or AWD compact crossover
Engine: 1.6/2.0-litre, DOHC, 16-valve, I-4 turbocharged
Power/Torque: 178 hp/177 lb.-ft. / 240 hp/270 lb.-ft.
Transmission: Six-speed automatic
0-100 km/h (est.): 9.5/7.5 seconds
Fuel consumption (city/hwy): 1.6 FWD: 9.1/6.0 L/100 km / 1.6 AWD: 9.2/6.6 L/100 km / 2.0 FWD: 9.5/6.7 L/100 km / 2.0 AWD: 9.8/6.9 L/100 km"

Escape 2.0L turbo runs on regular, per EPA website. Don't know about 1.6L turbo, not listed yet.

It's so unfortunate that this Ford is coming so late to the party still.
The complete replacement for the Ford Kuga (Ford Escape), will be on sale in Australia in February 2013. So it's likely that it will be on sale in Europe before year end.

A purchase of the Ford Escape now stands for the purchase of an old vehicle on an ancient platform that will be the old model very quickly.

At least the CX-5 is on a new platform and isn't expecting to be replaced for at least the next 4-5 years.

Note: The 2013 Escape is not same as old 2008 Kuga. Fortunately it's based on the redesigned 2013 Kuga.

Test mules caught by spies were new 2013 hardware in old Kuga bodies over a year ago but that was not the redesigned body and platform. That's a typical test mule scenario for automakers.

The redesigned 2013 Kuga just made its debut in Geneva in March 2012 as a 2013 model and will go on sale in Europe and ROW later in 2012 as a global platform (new 2013 Kuga= new 2013 Escape).

New Kuga timing in Europe above. New Escape in US showrooms in late May hopefully.

Last edited:
I tested the CR-V. Currently owning a 2nd Gen CR-V, the new CR-V doesn't seem to offer that much more after 10 years. The design looks awful in the rear, and the worst part is the right leg area. I tend to sit close to the pedals, and my right knee keeps banging into the hard plastic.

I tested the CX-5 touring. Manual shifting the 6sp auto is kind of fun. Almost comparable to our bimmer with the ZF 6sp auto.

This will be the European version with a few minor changes to the exterior.

Yes, the US gets the redesigned Kuga first. New 2013 Ford Kuga and 2013 Escape are the 3rd of Ford’s One Ford strategy where a model is sold as a global vehicle. In Europe expect 2 diesel offerings and 1.6L turbo gasser.

My wife (33) and I (36) - expecting first baby in August chose the CX5. We had narrowed our search to it, the CRV and the Forester - I would have liked to see the new Escape but couldn't/didn't want to wait. We were looking for Fuel efficiency, practicality and comfort. I'm average height, average weight and I couldn't find a comfortable seating position in the CRV, it got better in the leather 8-way power seat but we didn't want to spend the extra money. I had confidence that the Forester would be a great, safe, reliable vehicle but the styling is dated, the 4spd auto is of another era and the fuel efficiency is OK but no where near the Mazda. We chose the CX5 because it's the most fuel efficient, has nearly as much room as the CRV, the seats are supportive and comfortable and in my opinion, it's design style, in and out is the most appealing.

Just go ahead and buy now if you like the CX-5. Maybe they'll bring the diesel and maybe they won't, it will be more expensive, it won't be that much more powerful in terms of raw speed.

You can spend a couple years waiting or you can enjoy the CX-5 now. Talk about the gas engine sucking is just the usual enthusiast circle-jerk. The gas engine is fine.

a very slow circle jerk. too fat for 155 hp.

Back