CX-5 Turbo Gloss black side skirts and grille scratches on 2022 and 2023?

oldspicejet

:
mazda cx-5
Went to dealer and saw the Turbo Model with black gloss around wheel wells and side skirts. It looks like that piano black surface. Does this scratch easily? It definitely looks nicer than the other trim plastic especially with the black wheels.

Went to dealer and saw the Turbo Model with black gloss around wheel wells and side skirts. It looks like that piano black surface. Does this scratch easily? It definitely looks nicer than the other trim plastic especially with the black wheels.

My previous CX5 was black and the answer to your question is a definite YES. You so much as looked at it the wrong way and you would get swirls and marks in the paint. Someone once said owning a black vehicle is a lifestyle choice and I certainly agree!

Over time it could scratch yes. Although I think its a bit harder for the skirts.
It is not as bad as the side trim piano black (between the doors) but its still similar.
The turbo trim looks the best of all trims, my opinion. Even better than the Signature or lower trims.

mine is already scratched on few places and lots of rock chips on the front bottom one but I drive lmore highway recently. Should have PPF-ed the flat front surfaces probably. Same for the hood and front bumper. Mazda paint is so fragile even on 2022.

What bugs me is the huge opening for the intercooler. All kind of crap enters there even a small bird once.

Apart from all that this trim looks unique. The good part is those scratches are not visible if you are looking at more than a feet.

Last edited:
I’m 12000 miles in on my 23 Turbo and while I do see some slight “hazing” it is really holding up much better than I feared when I bought it. I think the piano black looks classy when compared to the dull matte finish you see on most skirts/ trim pieces. The dill ones tend to fade over time as the sun is brutal on that stuff. I’m extremely anal about scratches and hazing, and keeping my car detailed in general, so for me to say that it is doing well, then that says something.

Can anyone provide an update on the durability of the CX-5 exterior gloss black trim on the front bumper, wheel arches, side skirt and rear bumper? Are you finding that they scratch super easy? It looks like jofo67 is pleasantly surprised, but I'm curious to hear if other owners of trims with the gloss black exterior pieces find them easily scratched.

we bought our turbo (2023) back in late February and have put almost 15000 miles on it and I hand wash it often (only hand wash it never take it to a car wash) the wheel arches and skirt and rear bumper look great. I have to be really careful with the piano black window trim tho. I wish the interior trim was more scratch/scuff resistant.

Any further comments from those who have had the exterior glossy trim on the turbo?
Can anyone provide an update on the durability of the CX-5 exterior gloss black trim on the front bumper, wheel arches, side skirt and rear bumper? Are you finding that they scratch super easy? It looks like jofo67 is pleasantly surprised, but I'm curious to hear if other owners of trims with the gloss black exterior pieces find them easily scratched.
I ceramic coated mine and I'm seeing scratches anyway.
PPF is the answer!
I think this is right. You can't put vinyl on the textured plastic of the lower trims so that is a key benefit of the smooth bits of the Turbo model.

Either that, or do a quick plastic polish once a year or so.

I ceramic coated mine and I'm seeing scratches anyway.

I think this is right. You can't put vinyl on the textured plastic of the lower trims so that is a key benefit of the smooth bits of the Turbo model.

Either that, or do a quick plastic polish once a year or so.

Are the black glossy fender arches black plastic? Or are they painted plastic?

If you drive only city - they would probably last.
mine is driven everywhere , city, highway, little offroad and its showing. I prefer if it was not glossy but ...it is what it is. The whole front of the car is full of dings and chip spots, even the glossy bottom. The good part is because its black its not that visible.

So it's glossy plastic? I assumed it was black paint as with the other painted colors of trim on the signature model.

So it's glossy plastic? I assumed it was black paint as with the other painted colors of trim on the signature model.
that's what it looks like to me but kind of hard to tell. looks more like black plastic than paint but not 100% sure.

I guess the question is, what would happen if you needed a piece replaced? Does it come in matte and needs painting, or is it shiny from the factory?

I guess the question is, what would happen if you needed a piece replaced? Does it come in matte and needs painting, or is it shiny from the factory?
that particular trim piece comes colored which is why I think it is not painted. I hit a bear and the front bumper wrap does not come painted and has to be be painted by the body shop but the turbo fender trimhas a different part number than non turbos and comes shiny black. they are stupid expensive to replace.....

Back