Consumer reports talks AWD

Even with AWD and winter tires, a lot of it comes down to the driver. Just because AWD will get you out of your driveway and onto the road doesn't mean that you should be there. If you don't know how ABS works or if your first reaction wouldn't be to turn into a skid then you should not be out on a snowy road. You actually have to pay attention and be aware of other drivers on the road; if you can come to a stop on a snowy interstate with your winter tires, it doesn't mean that everyone behind you will be able to stop as quickly. It's also a good idea (and a lot cheaper than your deductible when you get rear ended) to use your turn signal when stopping to turn in the snow. If you drive along at 50mph backing up traffic for miles you become a road hazard and make the roads more dangerous for everyone including yourself.

I can imagine someone where I live buying four winter tires for two days out of the year because they have a phobia of not being 100% safe with some snow on the roads. I fully understand someone living in heavy snow country going that route but for most people in less harsh winters that is not only impractical but stupid. With politicians trying to regulate every aspect of our lives it wouldn't be surprising some bureaucrat introduces a bill that all drivers must swap out tires if there is more than 1/2 in of snow because we are afraid of taking any risks. Typical of where we are as a country.

See your problem is you're not understanding what those of us that support awd are saying. We are NOT saying its safer and prevents accidents. We know it's not gonna help our braking, and certain parts of handling our vehicle in the snow. But what it does help in is taking off, and getting out of heavy snow and ice. Which fwd will no doubt struggle in. So that is one less huge stress off our mind when having to drive in inclement weather. If you can't even get going, than there's no point in any of it.

I'm a RN and am required to be at work no matter the weather. I need to be able to get to work. If I can't even take off in the snow, ice, etc. Then I'm screwed. So awd allows me to get going much easier and better than fwd, and sets me up for success. Is it perfect? No, but it's without a doubt better than just fwd. fwd I'd still be spinning my tires. Ive been there a lot. Once you get going, common sense takes over. Maintaining a slow speed, keeping adequate distance from the car in front of me, planning my route appropriately to travel roads I know will first be plowed, etc.

I agree with you and that there are a lot of people out there with awd and 4x4 vehicles that think they're invincible because of their drivetrain. But that's not me, and I'm willing to say the same for most of us here on the forum. You need to stop thinking that everyone who supports awd is that way. We understand that the same safety precautions need to be taken. But awd allows us to better get to the point to where we can utilize that common sense, and driving skills. Fwd, I'd still be stuck in my driveway. Which does me no good.

Exactly. Some days I leave for work, and it's pretty out, 50*F and sunny, and in the morning when I go home, roads are closed, snow/ice, etc. Some people like you and I don't have the luxury of "just staying home" because our jobs are what are called "essential". AWD is just one more thing that helps out. I'd rather have it, than not!

I can imagine someone where I live buying four winter tires for two days out of the year because they have a phobia of not being 100% safe with some snow on the roads. I fully understand someone living in heavy snow country going that route but for most people in less harsh winters that is not only impractical but stupid. With politicians trying to regulate every aspect of our lives it wouldn't be surprising some bureaucrat introduces a bill that all drivers must swap out tires if there is more than 1/2 in of snow because we are afraid of taking any risks. Typical of where we are as a country.

+1
Couldn't have said it better. I'm not going to buy $600 worth of tires because it may snow for a few days out of the year.

Even with AWD and winter tires, a lot of it comes down to the driver. Just because AWD will get you out of your driveway and onto the road doesn't mean that you should be there. If you don't know how ABS works or if your first reaction wouldn't be to turn into a skid then you should not be out on a snowy road. You actually have to pay attention and be aware of other drivers on the road; if you can come to a stop on a snowy interstate with your winter tires, it doesn't mean that everyone behind you will be able to stop as quickly. It's also a good idea (and a lot cheaper than your deductible when you get rear ended) to use your turn signal when stopping to turn in the snow. If you drive along at 50mph backing up traffic for miles you become a road hazard and make the roads more dangerous for everyone including yourself.

Yes, and on that note, carry a $0 deductible. It's cheap and worth it. Mainly for all the windshields that you may/may not need over the course of vehicle ownership, that alone will pay for it.

Yes, and on that note, carry a $0 deductible. It's cheap and worth it. Mainly for all the windshields that you may/may not need over the course of vehicle ownership, that alone will pay for it.

I agree, $0 deductible for comprehensive has already paid off with my windshield replacement and repairs. I'm not sure if they offer a $0 deductible for collision here in Michigan, but at that point the premium would be more than the monthly car payment.

I agree, $0 deductible for comprehensive has already paid off with my windshield replacement and repairs. I'm not sure if they offer a $0 deductible for collision here in Michigan, but at that point the premium would be more than the monthly car payment.

Keep in mind that if you are hit hard enough to max your deductible, you're getting comped for injury and pain/suffering, as well. In the end, it makes up for it. I have an "automatically call my lawyer" policy with insurance companies after a few have tried to do me dirty. It just saves so much trouble. I pay hundreds of dollars a month for someone to stand between me and a party suffering loss, so I expect that the other party had better have done the same.

Keep in mind that if you are hit hard enough to max your deductible, you're getting comped for injury and pain/suffering, as well. In the end, it makes up for it. I have an "automatically call my lawyer" policy with insurance companies after a few have tried to do me dirty. It just saves so much trouble. I pay hundreds of dollars a month for someone to stand between me and a party suffering loss, so I expect that the other party had better have done the same.

That is nice to have. Luckily our no-fault insurance requires auto insurance providers in Michigan to pay for unlimited medical expenses for life if you are involved in any accident.

See your problem is you're not understanding what those of us that support awd are saying. We are NOT saying its safer and prevents accidents. We know it's not gonna help our braking, and certain parts of handling our vehicle in the snow. But what it does help in is taking off, and getting out of heavy snow and ice. Which fwd will no doubt struggle in. So that is one less huge stress off our mind when having to drive in inclement weather. If you can't even get going, than there's no point in any of it.

I'm a RN and am required to be at work no matter the weather. I need to be able to get to work. If I can't even take off in the snow, ice, etc. Then I'm screwed. So awd allows me to get going much easier and better than fwd, and sets me up for success. Is it perfect? No, but it's without a doubt better than just fwd. fwd I'd still be spinning my tires. Ive been there a lot. Once you get going, common sense takes over. Maintaining a slow speed, keeping adequate distance from the car in front of me, planning my route appropriately to travel roads I know will first be plowed, etc.

I agree with you and that there are a lot of people out there with awd and 4x4 vehicles that think they're invincible because of their drivetrain. But that's not me, and I'm willing to say the same for most of us here on the forum. You need to stop thinking that everyone who supports awd is that way. We understand that the same safety precautions need to be taken. But awd allows us to better get to the point to where we can utilize that common sense, and driving skills. Fwd, I'd still be stuck in my driveway. Which does me no good.
Well said!

Although I'm a little disappointed on CX-5's Active Torque Split AWD's MPG as it has 2~3 less EPA MPG than a FWD. But all other cars and SUV's I've seen that AWD only suffers 1 MPG!

A friend from Michigan told me that many people up north don't have AWD or 4X4 because most roads in urban areas are regularly salted and cleared in the winter time and it just isn't necessary. That was surprising but even with the lesser amount of snow where I live especially with the back roads AWD is much better than 2WD. Maybe if I lived in the city it wouldn't make as big a difference.

Having lived in Detroit winters with a 302 Mustang and a 351 Crown Victoria I can tell you I'd take my old AWD Subaru over either of those any day. My old winter beater Geo Prizm on taller than stock snow tires was very capable through snowmageddon.

Zero deductible is only a good deal if you expect to have more claims than average for your risk class. No insurance company is in business to give gifts to their customers. They set policy prices to make money on zero deductible (and all other) policies. If they were consistently losing money on them, the people setting policy prices would lose their jobs.

Since working on that project in 2005, I raised my deductible to $1,000, and I've saved a bundle. My lifetime claims for 48 years of driving has been exactly 3 claims - a stolen tape deck, a small dent repair when a fence was blown over on my car, and a windshield repair from a rock chip. Maybe I've been lucky, but by my calculations, zero deductible is an incredible rip-off. Maybe $1,000 in claims in 48 years, and I've saved more than $250 per year over the past 10 years. Think of how much I wasted on $200 deductible in the previous 38 years!

See your problem is you're not understanding what those of us that support awd are saying. We are NOT saying its safer and prevents accidents.

It's not my problem, you are the one who has completely and utterly missed the point of the video that this thread is about. Did you watch it? Because I also support AWD. My CX-5 is AWD. My F-150 is 4X4. I have owned 5 AWD/4X4 vehicles in my life and driven over 20 different 4X4/AWD vehicles in the snow/ice. How many have you owned/driven under winter storm conditions? Because this video is not about AWD being worthless, it's about it being over-rated. There are significant number of people who believe that AWD will get them safely through the winter nasty without winter tires. This video is about dispelling that myth. And the video is absolutely correct.

We know it's not gonna help our braking, and certain parts of handling our vehicle in the snow. But what it does help in is taking off, and getting out of heavy snow and ice. Which fwd will no doubt struggle in.

This is where the ignorance begins. FWD will not struggle to get going when you have appropriate tires. FWD with winter tires will climb steeper hills, accelerate faster on glare ice and drive through deeper snow than AWD with all-season radials. AWD is vastly over-rated by neophyte and inexperienced winter drivers who tend to believe they can do without them because they have AWD. That's the point of this video. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to sink in with those who need it the most.

So that is one less huge stress off our mind when having to drive in inclement weather. If you can't even get going, than there's no point in any of it.

If you can't get going then you shouldn't be out there anyway. But, just because you can get going, doesn't mean you should. And that is where the ignoramuses with AWD/all-season radials come into the discussion. That's what this discussion and video is really about.

I'm a RN and am required to be at work no matter the weather. I need to be able to get to work. If I can't even take off in the snow, ice, etc. Then I'm screwed. So awd allows me to get going much easier and better than fwd, and sets me up for success. Is it perfect? No, but it's without a doubt better than just fwd. fwd I'd still be spinning my tires. Ive been there a lot. Once you get going, common sense takes over.

If common sense was actually common, then you wouldn't see so many AWD's rolled over in the ditch or smashed up into Jersey barriers wearing all-season radials. Unfortunately, "common sense" is anything but common. Once you get going, common sense takes over. (lol2) If you need to get to work regardless of the weather, then you need winter tires. AWD is secondary to this basic fact.

We understand that the same safety precautions need to be taken. But awd allows us to better get to the point to where we can utilize that common sense, and driving skills. Fwd, I'd still be stuck in my driveway. Which does me no good.

Apparently you STILL don't understand the #1 winter driving rule. Just because you can get going, doesn't mean you should. On the other hand, a FWD vehicle equipped with winter tires is safe and practical to take out in the winter nasty. And if it's truly nasty out there, an AWD with all season radials is marginal at best. That is the point this video makes.

Last edited:
Minnesota is legend for it's frigid winters. We do get 50+ inches of snowfall but rarely have large snow events. Typically we get 2-3" a couple times per week. They do a reasonable job keeping the main road cleared but our residential streets are the last on the list for priority plowing.

I invested in a set of snow tires for the wife's 2010 FWD Camry Hybrid and it made a huge difference. I have the 2015 GT CX-5 with the 19" Toyos and would have to say it's really not better than the snow tire equipped FWD Camry. I've heard of owners swapping the 19" for the 17" rims when fitting snow tires for better traction. I'm not anxious to spend the $$$ for a set of dedicated snows for the CX-5. I have the option of teleworking from home when conditions are bad. In rare events, my office would close but that's happened only once in the 6 years I've worked there.

If common sense was actually common, then you wouldn't see so many AWD's rolled over in the ditch or smashed up into Jersey barriers wearing all-season radials. Unfortunately, "common sense" is anything but common. Once you get going, common sense takes over. (lol2) If you need to get to work regardless of the weather, then you need winter tires. AWD is secondary to this basic fact.

Just to play devils advocate here; (and to prod this discussion some more . . . haha)

A saying in MD is that if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes. We can have such crazy fluctuations in weather where we will get a snow storm and a day or two later it could be 60-70 degrees outside. This happens sometimes even in the middle of the winter. Most winter tires aren't rated to be used in 50+ degree temps. Would you suggest we keep swapping them back and forth throughout the winter season? It just isn't practical. An all season tire is probably the most practical tire for our climate because of those crazy weather changes.

That being said, I used to run a set of high performance summer tires on my last Subaru WRX and run a set of winter tires on my stock wheels for the winter. Most of the time it was way overkill and I think one mild season I didn't even swap them. But on those couple of years where we got really hit hard it was worth it. Nothing beats doing some donuts in the snow! The only way I could get stuck was if the car would bottom out in too deep of snow. I currently have all seasons on my Audi (awd) and the wife's CX-5 (awd) and it suits our needs. It just isn't practical for our situation to swap them out. If the weather is that bad, I'd rather stay home away from all the knuckle heads getting into accidents.

Most winter tires aren't rated to be used in 50+ degree temps. Would you suggest we keep swapping them back and forth throughout the winter season?

I wouldn't suggest swapping them out multiple times during a season. I leave mine on 5 months/year going from sea level to over 4,000 feet. My Goodyear IceGrip WRT's drive better at 60 degrees than the OEM Geolanders. That said, it takes me less than 30 minutes to swap them out. I wait until there is winter weather in the forecast before putting them on. That's what I recommend. If you go all winter without putting them on, no harm done. At least you were prepared for the potential ice storm.

If the weather is that bad, I'd rather stay home away from all the knuckle heads getting into accidents.

That's another sensible strategy. If you don't need to get there in any weather, you don't need winter tires.

AWD can make a difference when starting from a stand still in snow, it can be quicker off the mark vs a FWD with winter tires and could get our out of a tricky spot if the rear tires have a bit better purchase on the surface than the front. Problem with FWD is if you don't get going in your first attempt, tire spin can turn snow to ice, and then you need to either rock the car and judge when to use power (a fun challenge) or back up to get back onto sticker snow. I'm just saying that there are occasions when AWD can be better.

Many people are getting snow tires and winter (cold weather) tyres mixed up here. We are talking about cold weather tires which are designed to help just as much in cold temperatures, dry or wet. So if you don't get much snow you shouldn't write them off straight away! If your average winter day are below 44F, the cold weather tires will start to benefit in any road condition.

Of course, regular snow means it should be a no brainer, or like many countries, when it is the law. In the end, a massive piece of how your car will perform comes down to the driver. I spend hours on the roads when they are covered in snow playing in my car, seeing how fast it will go from 0-60, with or without traction control, seeing how long it takes to brake, of course, this is late at night and in the middle of nowhere. All cars here have winter tyres, but you still see plenty off accidents, mostly people not leaving enough gap to stop or thinking ABS is a magical device.

I took my STI out one evening into the forest, 2ltr turbo, AWD with winter tyres, was a 2001 555 special addition, about 1ft of snow, great fun, I thought I was Colin McRae (went to school with him). Ended up in a ditch, got out eventually, no harm done apart from massive vibrations in the car, after a few days the temperatures rose enough for this massive lump of ice to thaw from around the read drive shafts...all good fun.

Someone mentioned that they were driving too fast in the video for the conditions! Exactly my point, you need to try your car beyond the limits (safely) to understand where the limits are and to see how the car behaves. In the US there are plenty huge parking lots to test you winter driving.

I bought AWD because it is my wifes car, she is not a bad driver (I hope she never reads this) but I think her and my daughter are safer with AWD. There are a few junctions close to use that are often covered in snow and ice, you need to cross 3 lanes of traffic coming the other way and AWD is just a safer choice, I don't car for the weight penalties or mpg.

An old video, but one of the better ones....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l2cMlNRX_A

Last edited:
I miss my Subaru Forester here in Florida. When it rains, the roads get a greasy film on them and when you take off from a stop light, you often hear the 2WD vehicle slipping tires because of low traction. I'm not talking about heavy acceleration but, normal driving. I also notice this when there is sand or mud on the road. My feeling is that it is a good safety feature. Ed

What about Nokian WR G3 winter tires which are advertised that they can be used all year long? I don't even know if they are made to fit a Mazda CX-5 but would they be the perfect solution for someone not living in heavy snow country?
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...hat-provides-all-season-performance/index.htm
There are quite a few videos on You Tube advertising them that seem quite impressive. It is an "all weather" tire as opposed to an "all season" tire. It is actually rated for a winter tire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MetiRGsGvGA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwkEhNozLfI

Last edited:
This is your FWD car on winter tires:
attachment.php

This is your AWD car on all season radials:
WATCH-Hilarious-Video-Shows-Puppy-Sliding-On-Ice-In-Slow-Mo.jpg

Any questions?

Back