Consumer reports talks AWD

Sadly, the AWD CX-5 (with All-Season tires) was one of the lowest vehicles on their list in the winter driving ratings. :/

The OEM Toyo Tires are bad for snow driving. It's as simple as that. Mazda didn't put the BEST tires on the CX5 AWD. Swap them out and put on some good snow tires. The Continental's are way better in the snow and cost less than the Toyo's.

What was the point really of the test, comparing two different cars only to find they stop over different distances in snow, different cars with different weights and tyres being compared is totally pointless.

I actually learnt nothing new, and fully understand the limitations of 4x4. And the fact that not all AWD systems are equal.

Consumer reports tests cars the way they are typically driven. As they note, less than 15% of AWD vehicle owners in their survey responded to using snow tires. The point of the test was to test the following options, 1)Do I buy an AWD vehicle and use the all season tires year round, or 2)Do I buy a FWD sedan and use winter tires in the winter. Note, they do mention that the stopping distance on both vehicles were on par in the dry. A CRV and Camry are close enough in weight and are two of the most popular vehicles in America.

For those that know, the winner here is obvious, but to the average consumer it is not. That was the point of the test, that if you spend the extra on the AWD, you aren't really helping snow traction without snow tires.

These drivers are going way too fast for the amount of snow on the course. Anyone who drives in snow knows the hardest part is just getting started. Even the Honda Ridgeline's AWD kicks out at 30 mph.

I don't buy that at all. I live on a pretty steep hill at my house. Time and time again my old elantra would spin and spin in the snow, ice, you name it on that hill. My mothers ford escape, sisters tucson all went up it without a hitch. Why? Because they had 4 tires working to pull and push, whereas I had only two pulling. Yes, it won't help in stopping on ice, but I honestly don't see how people can think awd is not better than 2wd. Even with snow tires. Now I know it makes a big difference but I'd still perfer awd. Just put snow tires on a awd vehicle and you're pretty set.

Just watch any cx5 video where they're driving in the snow. I've seen several in like 6+ inches coming right out of the snow. Not packed down. You're crazy if you think a 2wd vehicle will do that.

Last edited:
I live in north Georgia and only get snowfall every other year or so that amounts to anything. I live out in the country and when there is two or three inches of snow that sticks around I'm stuck at home with two wheel drive until it melts because of my long uphill driveway. I bought my 2015 Mazda CX-5 in December and we had around 9" of snow in February which is one of the biggest snows on record for my area. My daughter got stranded about a mile from the house so I got in my AWD and had no problems at all getting out of the driveway or travelling the back road I live on. I know I'm limited in experience with driving in the snow but I don't see why anyone living in the heavy snow states would even consider two wheel drive. Just my thoughts.

Consumer reports tests cars the way they are typically driven. As they note, less than 15% of AWD vehicle owners in their survey responded to using snow tires. The point of the test was to test the following options, 1)Do I buy an AWD vehicle and use the all season tires year round, or 2)Do I buy a FWD sedan and use winter tires in the winter. Note, they do mention that the stopping distance on both vehicles were on par in the dry. A CRV and Camry are close enough in weight and are two of the most popular vehicles in America.

For those that know, the winner here is obvious, but to the average consumer it is not. That was the point of the test, that if you spend the extra on the AWD, you aren't really helping snow traction without snow tires.
Any AWD system that doesn't hook better than a FWD/RWD system in the snow is total clown shoes. Turning and braking, not much doing, but acceleration? Yeah.

I don't buy that at all. I live on a pretty steep hill at my house. Time and time again my old elantra would spin and spin in the snow, ice, you name it on that hill. My mothers ford escape, sisters tucson all went up it without a hitch. Why? Because they had 4 tires working to pull and push, whereas I had only two pulling. Yes, it won't help in stopping on ice, but I honestly don't see how people can think awd is not better than 2wd. Even with snow tires. Now I know it makes a big difference but I'd still perfer awd. Just put snow tires on a awd vehicle and you're pretty set.

Just watch any cx5 video where they're driving in the snow. I've seen several in like 6+ inches coming right out of the snow. Not packed down. You're crazy if you think a 2wd vehicle will do that.

In before Mike M. ROFL!

Seriously, I saw it all over town last time it snowed. But Mike M just says I am a hella skilled driver and that's why my Jeep never spun while other vehicles slithered all over the hill leaving funny looking tracks as they slid down it while "accelerating". Or did he say I sucked at driving in the snow and that's why I made it everywhere I went on time? Or...I forget.

I've driven 4x4 and AWD vehicles all my life and I will tell you that it helps but the systems are only as good as the tires. Also when braking, AWD are no better than 2WD vehicles. AWD is typically not even engaged when braking so why would it make a difference? My experience with the AWD in my CX5 so far has been lacklustre but we haven't really had winter in the last almost three years I've owned it. For ciry driving getting me to work on snow and slush it works just fine and that's probably good enough for most as well.

The advantages and marketing.

http://youtu.be/LOQ_uCUWOs4

Good video.

Main take-away point, AWD is a small benefit in winter conditions, winter tires - a huge benefit. Anyone who has tens of thousands of miles of winter storm experience in a wide variety of vehicles with various drive configurations/tires will agree. Those with limited experience almost always over-estimate the importance of AWD for winter conditions. That was the point of this video.

In summary - Tires are 90% of the battle. Once you have that taken care of, AWD is rarely a necessary benefit. Winter tires rock!

attachment.php

Last edited:
A friend from Michigan told me that many people up north don't have AWD or 4X4 because most roads in urban areas are regularly salted and cleared in the winter time and it just isn't necessary. That was surprising but even with the lesser amount of snow where I live especially with the back roads AWD is much better than 2WD. Maybe if I lived in the city it wouldn't make as big a difference.

Good video.

Main take-away point, AWD is a small benefit in winter conditions, winter tires - a huge benefit. Anyone who has tens of thousands of miles of winter storm experience in a wide variety of vehicles with various drive configurations/tires will agree. Those with limited experience almost always over-estimate the importance of AWD for winter conditions. That was the point of this video.

In summary - Tires are 90% of the battle. Once you have that taken care of, AWD is rarely a necessary benefit. Winter tires rock!

I live in snow country and I have always looked for un plowed roads to drive for FUN. I agree completely. Tires tires tires. I was reading a article about European winter rallying and they mentioned that they don't allow Hakkapeliitta tires because it made the coarse to fast. That did it for me. I have run them for years.

I guess it really depends on where you live. I live in Maryland and we can get some decent snow storms, and a lot of ice throughout out winters. Good mix of fwd and awd vehicles around here. But I have never heard of anyone I know that switch tires around yearly between snow tires and regular all season or summer tires. So in that case, awd is just much more ideal and convenient. I don't have statistics but my guess is that the average citizen will not bother switching tires around throughout the year.

I guess it really depends on where you live. I live in Maryland and we can get some decent snow storms, and a lot of ice throughout out winters. Good mix of fwd and awd vehicles around here. But I have never heard of anyone I know that switch tires around yearly between snow tires and regular all season or summer tires. So in that case, awd is just much more ideal and convenient. I don't have statistics but my guess is that the average citizen will not bother switching tires around throughout the year.

+1

I live in Maryland and we can get some decent snow storms, and a lot of ice throughout out winters. Good mix of fwd and awd vehicles around here. But I have never heard of anyone I know that switch tires around yearly between snow tires and regular all season or summer tires. So in that case, awd is just much more ideal and convenient. I don't have statistics but my guess is that the average citizen will not bother switching tires around throughout the year.

Yes, and some people simply scrape the ice off their windshield until they have a little hole to look through. They tell me they make it to work just fine but I know it is not nearly as safe as clearing the entire windshield. Easier? Yes. Better? No. If this describes you, then you may be one of those people who insist all-season radials work just fine if you have AWD when an ice storm hits.

Maryland does not get nearly as much severe winter weather as places like Boston and NY but, the nasty can still hit. The easiest solution is to just stay home on such days. If this is not an option, and you need to travel a significant distance on hazardous roads, then it not only makes financial sense to run winter tires but it also is great at reducing stress. Accidents are not only costly and inconvenient, they are dangerous. How much is your life worth? Alternatively, how much would you pay to avoid $120,000 worth of surgery and 6 months of physical therapy?

My advice, it's utterly stupid to take that much risk on fast roads under hazardous winter conditions without winter tires. Just stay home. If you are one of those who say "But I have AWD" then you will likely end up like the ignorant drivers and passengers of all those SUV's I see smashed up against the Jersey barriers and rolled over in the ditches that have a crowd of emergency vehicles surrounding them.

Believe what you want, in America you are free to be as ignorant as you wish. If you think AWD significantly increases winter safety, you are ignorant. The experts have spoken, loud and clear, proceed at your own risk (not to mention at the safety of others too).

I would be swapping tires every week. 50*f and sunny in the morning, ice by 3pm...or is it 65*f and even sunnier? Who knows?

In the PNW two seasons ago we had a pretty good series of snow storms just prior to Xmas. At the time I was driving our Nissan 2wd (open diff) Hardbody fitted with General ArtciMax with studs and about 250lbs in the bed forward of the axle. Good set up for the glazed ice we get locally early in the mornings. Anyway, on the way home one evening started to plow some wet heavy snow so I pulled into a parking lot at the top of a hill and threw the chains on the rear just to make sure I didn't end up in the ditch on the downhill since the truck was starting to float a little on the heavy snow. The crown on the road is pretty extreme and I only had 8 miles left to get home. In the next 4 miles I counted a half dozen vehicles in the ditch, half 4WD, all with all season tires, none with chains. Ya pays your money and ya takes your chances I suppose.

I ran LSD rearend for years here, folks told me it either would just go straight around a correnr or just slide right off the road. Well, wearing a round of good winter tires (studded again) I had to learn to crab walk up one steep, heavily crowned pitch of about 200 feet if it was really icy. In the brush it was just as good for my needs as 4x4 during winter. Open diff 4x4 is just 2WD anyway.

The key to winter driving is tires. With the exception of glare, glazed ice studless is as good as studded in our experience. And there studs only really help in stopping distance. 2wd, LSD, AWD all work with the appropriate, respect and attitude and ya best have some good winter tires if you expect to make it home intact. YMMV

Yes, and some people simply scrape the ice off their windshield until they have a little hole to look through. They tell me they make it to work just fine but I know it is not nearly as safe as clearing the entire windshield. Easier? Yes. Better? No. If this describes you, then you may be one of those people who insist all-season radials work just fine if you have AWD when an ice storm hits.

Maryland does not get nearly as much severe winter weather as places like Boston and NY but, the nasty can still hit. The easiest solution is to just stay home on such days. If this is not an option, and you need to travel a significant distance on hazardous roads, then it not only makes financial sense to run winter tires but it also is great at reducing stress. Accidents are not only costly and inconvenient, they are dangerous. How much is your life worth? Alternatively, how much would you pay to avoid $120,000 worth of surgery and 6 months of physical therapy?

My advice, it's utterly stupid to take that much risk on fast roads under hazardous winter conditions without winter tires. Just stay home. If you are one of those who say "But I have AWD" then you will likely end up like the ignorant drivers and passengers of all those SUV's I see smashed up against the Jersey barriers and rolled over in the ditches that have a crowd of emergency vehicles surrounding them.

Believe what you want, in America you are free to be as ignorant as you wish. If you think AWD significantly increases winter safety, you are ignorant. The experts have spoken, loud and clear, proceed at your own risk (not to mention at the safety of others too).

See your problem is you're not understanding what those of us that support awd are saying. We are NOT saying its safer and prevents accidents. We know it's not gonna help our braking, and certain parts of handling our vehicle in the snow. But what it does help in is taking off, and getting out of heavy snow and ice. Which fwd will no doubt struggle in. So that is one less huge stress off our mind when having to drive in inclement weather. If you can't even get going, than there's no point in any of it.

I'm a RN and am required to be at work no matter the weather. I need to be able to get to work. If I can't even take off in the snow, ice, etc. Then I'm screwed. So awd allows me to get going much easier and better than fwd, and sets me up for success. Is it perfect? No, but it's without a doubt better than just fwd. fwd I'd still be spinning my tires. Ive been there a lot. Once you get going, common sense takes over. Maintaining a slow speed, keeping adequate distance from the car in front of me, planning my route appropriately to travel roads I know will first be plowed, etc.

I agree with you and that there are a lot of people out there with awd and 4x4 vehicles that think they're invincible because of their drivetrain. But that's not me, and I'm willing to say the same for most of us here on the forum. You need to stop thinking that everyone who supports awd is that way. We understand that the same safety precautions need to be taken. But awd allows us to better get to the point to where we can utilize that common sense, and driving skills. Fwd, I'd still be stuck in my driveway. Which does me no good.

Last edited:
Back