Consumer reports talks AWD

Is 50% treadware life for snow tires fairly common among all brands?

No I generally run my winter tires down to 2/3-3/4 tread depending upon what time of year they wear out. I avoid the multi-compound tires because it makes no sense to me for the compound to turn harder right when your tread depth is becoming more challenged. I want the same compound for the life of the tire.

Is the Michelin Ice even good for 40K miles? Or will it just not run bald in 40K miles? I've heard that "high mile" Ice tires are worthless in ice/snow after about 8-10k miles.

I guess only time will tell for sure, but Michelin makes this claim:

The MICHELIN X-Ice Xi3 tire provides winter performance that lasts for 40,000 miles 1 with Michelin MaxTouch Construction which features a unique contact patch shape--maximizing even and longer tread life.

As one of the only winter tires with a mileage warranty, I am expecting much more life than 8-10K. I guess we'll see...

Good to know on the multi-compound.

Here is a list of tires from CR.

Here are the top nine results of the winter tire "Road Report, which include all CR-recommended tires in bold. The price CR paid for each tire is also listed. I listed them numerically based on the CR score.

Winter tires

Michelin X-Ice Xi3, $117.
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2, $135.
Bridgestone Blizzak WS80, $112.
Cooper Weather-Master WSC, $92.
Toyo Observe G3-Ice, $173.
Continental WinterContact SI, $135.
General Altimax Arctic, $90.
Dunlop Winter Maxx, $103.
Nokian WR G3, $169.

Tire Siping:

Does tire slipping really increase traction?
Our tests determines if it improves traction

The practice of siping, or cutting extra slits into tire treads, is supposed to improve a tire’s snow and ice-biting ability. Tire dealerships typically charge around $15 or more to sipe tires.

To see whether siping makes any difference, we tested two performance all-season models, an H-rated Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus and a V-rated Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, with and without siping.

The siped version of both models showed modest but measurable improvements in snow-traction and ice-braking performance. But braking distances on wet and dry pavement were a few feet longer. Besides costing $60 or so for a set of four, having your tires siped potentially voids any tread-wear warranty. We don’t think the modest gains are worth the extra costs.

Glad to see the xi3 do so well. It's the set I got. Now I feel even better not paying the up charge on the nokian R2.

It took me a while to get used to the floor mounted accel pedal on my G35. Throttle tip in was so aggressive it was impossible to not spill coffee without turning snow mode on to desensitize throttle. Accel on CX-5 is quite smooth for me no matter where I have foot on it. Not discounting anyone's experience though.. I'm like a 1/4 inch shy of 6 feet so maybe that accounts for comfort.

The top 3 ranking tires look about right to me for the conditions that they tested. The snow traction test is on moderately packed snow which is very common for many people who ever have to deal with snow.

However, in deep snow or loose snow like "mashed potatoes", I've heard from some experienced friends in the tire business, that the Nokian R2's rank significantly above the other two. This is important to me since I live in a region that commonly gets over 100 inches a year. And nearby, where I occasionally drive to, it can snow more than 200 inches a year! So, it depends on your needs and what you're willing to pay for.

I have a snow blower attachment on my riding mower. 48 inches wide and 18 inches tall. I can throw snow about 25-30 feet. Needless to say, I enjoy a good snow fall.

I guess only time will tell for sure, but Michelin makes this claim:

The MICHELIN X-Ice Xi3 tire provides winter performance that lasts for 40,000 miles 1 with Michelin MaxTouch Construction™ which features a unique contact patch shape--maximizing even and longer tread life.

As one of the only winter tires with a mileage warranty, I am expecting much more life than 8-10K. I guess we'll see...
I don't care anymore. Won't fit the CX-5. Lost interest.

It took me a while to get used to the floor mounted accel pedal on my G35. Throttle tip in was so aggressive it was impossible to not spill coffee without turning snow mode on to desensitize throttle. Accel on CX-5 is quite smooth for me no matter where I have foot on it. Not discounting anyone's experience though.. I'm like a 1/4 inch shy of 6 feet so maybe that accounts for comfort.

That's very interesting. I have owned a 370Z, which has the same type of accel pedal, and it was never an issue for me. What has been an issue in the Z-cars is that their clutches are on-off switches, basically, and I am used to more powerful cars that give you a lot more clutch-pedal range. I stalled my Z a few times before I figured it out, I'm ashamed to say.

Back