Complete Ion 3" Exhaust thread

mspeed#267<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_754093", true); </SCRIPT> - when you guys re-tap the fitting for the EGR, make sure you remove the manifold. Otherwise those shavings may fall into the manifold and get forced into the turbine side of the turbo. That would suck b/c that wouldn't be under warranty (being that it's being re-tapped).

We generally use some anti-seize on all the nuts/bolts under re-assembly to avoid deforming thread etc.

Gald to hear the system was easy to install.... at least it's substaintially lighter then the stocker, making it much easier laying under neath the car on your back.

iON Performance said:
mspeed#267<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_754093", true); </SCRIPT> - when you guys re-tap the fitting for the EGR, make sure you remove the manifold. Otherwise those shavings may fall into the manifold and get forced into the turbine side of the turbo. That would suck b/c that wouldn't be under warranty (being that it's being re-tapped).

We generally use some anti-seize on all the nuts/bolts under re-assembly to avoid deforming thread etc.

Gald to hear the system was easy to install.... at least it's substaintially lighter then the stocker, making it much easier laying under neath the car on your back.
yeah that's also why i said that we'll have to do it another day because we'll have to take the manifold back off also(bang) :'( and we'll have to take the heat wraping on the manifold off also because it was installed incorrectly the instruction's didn't say that we had to wet the wrap before putting it on the manifold that we learned later when a friend of eli's that came over to see how we were doing.and we did use anti-seize on the EGR tread's but as Chris put it "sh*t happen's" but hopefully we can get thing's straited out and it "should" be fine. and the exhaust is much lighter then the stock one was.and it sound's so good!(bowdown) (rockon)

Last edited:
yeah i'm guessing that Eli is out have some fun with his new exhaust.i'm waiting for chris to come on and post some more pic's.

Friggin' brilliant exhaust folks...! :D No fitment problems, no rubbing, banging, or generally unpleasant noises...just smooth solid power....it is a bit louder than stock, so that is taking a little getting used to (plus I didn't opt for the 2nd resonator, so I expected a little more noise) - but it is niiiiice....! The car just pulls, pulls, pulls.....!! (2thumbs) As David posted earlier, it sounds low and smooth...like a 'rex's....

THANK YOU VERY MUCH iON, Chris, David and Jay for EVERYTHING-seriously!!...without everyone's help, this would've not happened so quickly (the install, not the wait for the exhaust...hehe! Kidding Jack...it was WELL WORTH the wait)...If Chris, David or Jay need help with ANYTHING (and I know I'm not as mechanically inclined, but I can still assist, as I'm getting better with each mod done to my car!), please let me know...I'm indebted...! The other tasks performed helped as well, as the car feels very nice right now...coolant flush, oil change (changed to synthetic), intake cleaning, replacing boost lines w/fresh ones, etc....

As for the few quirks that we ran into along the way, I really haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary...the manifold wrap will prolly come off soon, but I should say we DID follow the instructions exactly...and it said nothing of getting it wet first - oh well, I'll prolly leave the wrap over the turbo and put the heat shield back on over the manifold...no other problems to report, but at some point soon I would like to rethread the EGR...I'm keeping an ear and eye out, but like I said, everything seems fine...

Yes, I have had some fun with the new toy! Good Times!!

Hey Chris...maybe vid clips next?? :D

Waiting to see some vid clips! I just watched a vid of the MSP Greddy SP-II exhaust, and I want to check this one out as well. How about the butt-dyno? Noticeable increase?

Alex

Yes, the power is smooth and strong...like an exaggerated version of what it felt like before, if that makes sense...it doesn't feel 'peeky' at all...just robust!! :D

it was no problem for me to help ya out Eli any time you need me! it actually helped me learn alot about how easy/hard it is to work on the MSP!

Now chris need's to hurry up with the pic's!

Yeah Yeah... Here are the pics of us finishing the install.

Engine%20Pic%202.JPG
Installed%20Pic%201.JPG
Installed%20Pic%202.JPG
Installed%20Pic%203.JPG
M%20speed%20humpin.JPG
Rear%20Pic.JPG
Rear%20Pic%201.JPG
Stupid%20Turbo.JPG
Tanning.JPG
Turbo%20Pic%201.JPG
Under%20Car%20front.JPG
Under%20Car%20Pic.JPG

ion has polyu exhaust hangers that i bought with mine, i hope they hold it a tad higher

A word of advice....DO NOT USE WRAP!!!....It makes life so much harder putting the manifold back on. The wrap for the turbo is a good idea though.

I'd like to get a reading of underhood temps, good idea.

*** WORDS OF WISDOM*****
  1. Pull the oil return line...(line that goes from turbo to the 2nd piece of the bottom end which is aluminum)...from the turbo and not the block!!!
  2. Replace the bad stock hose clamp with and adjustable one on the line mentioned above, the d/p will make contact with it making clearance problems.
  3. Be VERY careful installing the EGR line! The large bolt that screws into the exhaust manifold will want to cross thread when you tighten.

Back