Complete Ion 3" Exhaust thread

MSP Chris

:
03 Mazda Speed
I would like an administrator to watch over this thread and delete any post of people bashing / talking crap / etc.

Be sure to read the review on next post. Now onto the pics!!!

Cats.JPG
Compare%20-%201.JPG
Compare.JPG
Resonators%20-%202.JPG
Resonators%20-1.JPG
Welds.JPG
Wrap.JPG
Turbo%20with%20turbo%20manifold.JPG
Turbo%20with%20exhaust%20manifold.JPG
Engine%20-%20turbo.JPG
Turbo%20exhaust%20manifold.JPG

Last edited:
The low-down, this exhaust is TampaBlackMSP's, I am installing it for him with his aid as well as help from MSpeed267.

So far we have completly removed everything you see in the pics As well the mid pipe and muffler from Ion are installed. There have not been any fitment issues but ... s*** happens.

Now... Ion's main issue was the time it took to ship their product out. I have mixed feelings on this but I can say it was a well deserved wait. I looked over every flange and weld and although I am not a welder they do have quality. Installation is pretty straight foward, but I would'nt undertake if your not partially skilled and have the tools on hand. Always use breaker on all nuts and bolts for exhaust and turbo!!!!!!

Anything I missed or forgot?

Feel free to ask any questions about the install and I know that Eli (TampaBlackMSP), David (MSpeed267) or I will try to help you.

Last edited:
Try seperating the two and talk to me, word of advise to. Pull the radiator first! You'll have alot more room.

Last edited:
Those are some of THE best welds I've seen in along time. Give iON props for the exhaust job. Time well worth waiting.

Yeah sorry. You don't have access to all of the nuts, unless you use a open end wrench. Which will strip your nut faster than you can bust your nut. I also would reccomend breaker for all nuts and bolts because you never know.

yep fun time's man.i can't wait to see & hear that bish run tomorrow the ion kit is very nice.the only thing that is kinda weird that i can think of is, that the exhaust hanger's have no nipple that go in the rubber part of the hanger like the stock one's have(uhm).i would thread the hanger's and put a lock nut on them so that they won't slip out.but yes it is a very nice exhaust.

eli man can i hump the tail pipe when we're done? (naughty) (lick) (hitit2) (nana)

how long before u guys think you'll get it on the road? are u going to reset the ecu? i orderd the down pipe back system so i wont have to take off the turbo but i dont plan on upping the boost so i hope there not much loss diff. in the two systems and i still get the performance of the 3' cat and exhuast. let us know! jose

can u guys take a pic of the face of the new down pipe and the factory down pipe so we can see the diff. ? thanks jose

So the question of the hour.

Should I take it to an exhaust shop and have it installed, or wait until my AWR radiator gets here (about 2 weeks) take radiator, and exhaust to another shop that will install both and have them do it? I think it may cost the same either way, so just wondering if an exhaust shop might charge a premium for this install.

Can you comment on the rear section and clearance compared to stock in terms of the cannister and outlet. I want to have a hidden hitch tow bar but in the back for attaching a bike rack and was just wondering what clearence issues might come up if this is different from the stock system.

mspeed#267 said:
that is the system he has man 3" with cat and down pipe. we'll prolly be done by tomorrow the latest.and trust me you'll want to take that manifold & radiator off it make's thing's alot easyer.
my systems keeps the factory down pipe and starts with the new 3' cat!

Jose, always disconnect the battery, it is a fail safe. As for when the car will be rolling. I hope to aim for lunch time, but I dont want to overshoot. Pics will be up in a sec.

Jrodhotrod, Like I said we do not have everything bolted up, I will keep you in mind and have pics for you of clearance under the car and rear bumper area as well. It depends on the shop, they may say since it is already out we wont charge you..but yo never know.

Last edited:
jrod1019 said:
my systems keeps the factory down pipe and starts with the new 3' cat!
sorry about that man i was reading it wrong i need some sleep!(screwy)

By the way if anyone had a close look at the cylinder head and the turbo manifold.... It is calling for a port and polish!! Pics anyone!?

Back