Complete Ion 3" Exhaust thread

MSP Chris - I guess you guys didn't soak the bolts w/ WD40 for a couple hours while the car cooled down... makes like much easier.

And yes, removing the radiator allows much more latitude to work with in the engine bay. Just be glad you don't need to do that all the time ;) once the system is in, it's in :)

Just remember when you guys are starting the car again, crank the motor w/o the spark plug wires in. This will prime the turbo again making sure that there's oil in the bearings on start-up.

jrodhotrod<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_752236", true); </SCRIPT> - You should have plenty of clearence for the tow hook. The rear muffler section is actually more compact in width vs. the stock muffler.

The install does take awhile, you might as well leave it to a shop to install the same time as your rad b/c you'll have to refill it anyways.

mspeed#267 - The exhaust won't move anywhere. If you notice closely, each hanger is at a specific angle. It won't slip off. Not to mention, since the system is much lighter then the stocker, there'll be less stress on the rubber hangers. If you can get the system to slip off while driving, there's something VERY wrong.

iON Performance said:
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_752236", true); </SCRIPT>

mspeed#267 - The exhaust won't move anywhere. If you notice closely, each hanger is at a specific angle. It won't slip off. Not to mention, since the system is much lighter then the stocker, there'll be less stress on the rubber hangers. If you can get the system to slip off while driving, there's something VERY wrong.
yeah i seen that hanger's are at an angle.but with me if there is a thought in my mind that some thing can go wrong it most likly will, bad thing's like to happen to me.but, IMO it is a very nice system and i would say that it was money well spent. good job Ion(thumb).it should be done by this afternoon and more pic's will be up so,stay tuned!

Thanks for the updates on your progress guys! It is much appreciated.

I can't wait for mine to ship any day now, right Jack? (poke)

:D

Peace...(hippy)

hey whats the poitn of havin a seprate wg pipe if the turbo doesnt even have a divider plate on the exhuiast side? i would think that would cause turbulance since u got the flange inbetween

that s pipe does look nice, i wonder when they're going to start selling just that.

is there room for a ratcheting wrench (not socket wrench) to get on those bolts? it looks kinda tight, but there may have been room. just curious. also pb-blast (better than the wd-40 ion suggested) makes the breaker bar less necessary. also on dsm's there is a fuse to pull so the engine doesn't get fuel and thus can't ignite it that you use to prime the turbo, i would guess there is something similar on our cars so you can just pull a fuse rather than having to take out all 4 spark plugs

just curious how that exhaust is going to account for engine movement though. all that money and no flex section...

AutoBox - under operation flow analysis, we noticed that WG flow was induced to go in this direction b/c the way the swing arm operates. Since we're thinking ahead, our stage 2 replacement turbos have this divider, which will induce full flow in this direction.

jred321 - You'll have to look closer. We have in fact accounted for movement in 3 axis. You don't need a flex pipe to do that.

i wonder how the install went? and if they ran the car yet? i hope u guys come back saying its awesome and it makes a hell of a differance! - all of us that bought the exhuast hope so!

jrod1019 said:
i wonder how the install went? and if they ran the car yet? i hope u guys come back saying its awesome and it makes a hell of a differance! - all of us that bought the exhuast hope so!
well we ran into some problem's but, i won't get into that now.i'll just let Chris tell you more about that later.and about how much the car changed do to the exhaust i really can't say because i've never driven Eli's car before today! but,Chris can help you there too i know he's driven it before but he's out getting drunk at the gasparilla parade so, he might not post untell tomorrow. i can say that, the exhaust sound's very good! it almost sound's just like a WRX no lie.it has a nice deep rumble to it but it is quiet not to loud i like the sound it has alot.it's not a ricey sound at all! (nana)

well i can elborate a little for you.we had a problem with the EGR it got cross treaded in the manifold by the person that was putting it back in but, it doesn't have a leak so we will have to fix that a another time when we have a tap and die set that will fit the hole.and we didn't want to chance bending or braking the metal hose because the EGR nut was at a weird angle.and Chris ran into another problem but what it was i can't remember at the moment. oh but i had no problem with the exhaust i put on every thing except the s-pipe(with some help from Eli) it was very easy just incase you had that in mind(wink)

Last edited:
Back