Chef's 1994 MX6 build thread

I think some aftermarket gauges also have outputs that could be used to trigger a relay. My Marshall Instruments gauges have a +5V output for things like buzzers or warning lights but I don't see why it wouldn't also work to trigger a relay. You'd loose the "warning" function though unless the gauges has multiple settings.

I have yet to look and see what that temperature sensor is connected to. You'd have to be able to adjust the trigger output to different temperature settings in order to use it to control cooling fans with. Otherwise they'd be coming on too late if it's set up for a warning light or buzzer.

Right now I am thinking about using the low speed fan wire from the original harness to trigger a 30amp relay. The 30amp relay will be connected to the positive battery terminal with an inline 30amp fuse in the wire. Then the output from the relay will go to the positive wires on the fans themselves. Then grounding the fan negatives and relay negative to factory grounding points. That way the fans will come on when the low speed fan sensor kicks on or off when it says to turn them off. The aftermarket fans are only single speed anyway.

I have yet to look and see what that temperature sensor is connected to. You'd have to be able to adjust the trigger output to different temperature settings in order to use it to control cooling fans with. Otherwise they'd be coming on too late if it's set up for a warning light or buzzer.
Yeah, you'd have to set the "warning" pretty low making it not much of a warning anymore.

Right now I am thinking about using the low speed fan wire from the original harness to trigger a 30amp relay. The 30amp relay will be connected to the positive battery terminal with an inline 30amp fuse in the wire. Then the output from the relay will go to the positive wires on the fans themselves. Then grounding the fan negatives and relay negative to factory grounding points. That way the fans will come on when the low speed fan sensor kicks on or off when it says to turn them off. The aftermarket fans are only single speed anyway.
This is a pretty good idea. The only thing I'd check is the current in the stock low-speed fan wire. It may be switched itself therefore carrying a higher current. Some relays don't like high current being used for the switch. If the stock low-speed fan is switched you could always just use that relay for your aftermarket fan and add new fan power and ground wires. I thought about doing this in my RX-7 but decided against using 24 year-old relays.

She runs!

She stumbles a bit and has a misfire but she cranked right over and idled okay until I tried touching the throttle cable. Need to check out the distributor and see what it's doing. Been a while since I had to diagnose a KL.

Pushed it out to put a new clutch/flywheel in my mazda3 and then my buddy needed a garage to swap motors in his mazdaspeed3 so she was pushed out again.

Shot this yesterday.

I have a thing for redheads. Even if the redhead women don't stay around long I still have the ones in my driveway to keep me happy.

Back