Chef's 1994 MX6 build thread

It was the only real lip that pops up if you type mx6 front lip into ebay. It wasn't cheap but I actually like the style compared to what other people have done.

Thanks for the love man. I'm hoping to at least get her back on the ground within the next week or two. Waiting on hardware to put the brakes together. Then the front end can go back together and I can see how it sits.

is it almost ready to run?

and that lip looks great. i think itd look a lot better paint matched though

Yeah I'm undecided about matching it since the rest of the car has such a patina to it (to put it nicely). I'm currently waiting for some bolts to get here to attach the brake hats to the rotors. Once that's done I will put the front end back together and get the car on the ground.

Then the list isn't too bad.
1. Finish water to air system hoses and connections
2. Have BOV flange welded to w2a intercooler, bolt up turbo and run oil line, have a basic downpipe made just so it can be started and driven to exhaust shop
3. Wire up water pump for w2a system and wire hella supertones
4. Fill and leak-check the w2a system and make sure pump works
5. Drop and replace coolant, oil, and brake fluid. Also siphon out as much gas as possible and replace with fresh gas and stabilizer
6. Replace spark plugs and drip some oil on top of the pistons so the rings aren't dry when cranking
7. Fire her up (hopefully)

Hell yeah AJ I will take one when I fire her up for the first time. I can't wait to thrash her tits off.

It sat for longer than that before I picked it up. That's why I've been taking my time with it and making sure I don't miss anything. All I need to hear is zoom, zoom, BOOM the first time I start it.

thatd be terrible. id deffinitely run it easy for about 500 miles before i started easing back into boost. you have the luxury of not having an fsde though.. hahah

Yeah it won't be seeing boost until I have run seafoam through the vacuum lines and it has been compression tested and proven sturdy. I know that this motor has been boosted for a while but the bright side is he took very good care of it so everything should be fine once the buildup from sitting is worked out. The gear box was replaced somewhat recently though so at least that shouldn't need any extra care.

I'm waiting for hardware to arrive so I can put my brakes back together and get the damn car on the ground. The hardware store I ordered them from got me 4 less than I needed after 3-4 weeks of waiting for them to come in. Dicks. I ordered a set of 20 from ebay because I am impatient.

Today I put the subframes/x-members back on and finished the water to air system plumbing. Once I wire up the pump I will be able to fill it, check for leaks, and see how it flows. After that the list is somewhat short.

Get the BOV flange welded to the w2a intercooler, hook up the turbo oil feed line, get a downpipe fabricated with a wideband O2 flange on it, wire up supertones and high beams so I can pass inspection, install a new accessory belt, drain and refill oil, gas, and coolant, connect the battery and make sure the gauges are working, then fire her up.

After I know she runs I need to lengthen the clutch slave cylinder rod for better clutch action and get an exhaust fabricated. Then inspection and registration and I can start stretching her legs.

006-27.jpg

The list. LOL

007-28.jpg

That's actually a brilliant idea. Instead of the gratification of just checking them off you get to rip them off the windshield too! Really looking forward to watching this MX6 be reborn. :)

You and me both. LOL the list is a little daunting but most of the maintenance and wiring will go fast. The big stuff is the downpipe and intercooler welding.

Got the brake bolts after my previous post and now I have the front end back together and the car on the ground. It will be back up again shortly but it's nice to see it sitting on its own instead of on stands.

015-1.jpg

Haven't updated this for a while. Got a big project knocked out today!

So In the process of swapping over from a bad turbo to a good turbo I had to make a few changes due to different flanges. I ended up just buying a whole set of hot pipes from an ebay seller with a downpipe included that would fit the new turbo. They arrived today and my brother and I spent 4 hours removing the old parts and installing the new ones.

IMAG0166_zps822e5cfc.jpg

The old pipes removed.

016_zps5b6de135.jpg

New ones in. Didn't take any in progress shots because space is too tight. Had to remove the intake manifold to reach the rear exhaust manifold bolts. Also removed the entire radiator for better front access. Made things much easier.

002-4_zps6e0909fa.jpg

Under car shot. They are a little low but I think they will be fine. The angle of this picture makes them look lower than they are. The downpipe is the lowest part and I'll have to see if the crossmember fits with the new pipes. Probably going to have to go with a tubular crossmember setup instead.

004-3_zps64a1ac35.jpg

005_zpsdccb0403.jpg

006_zpsaaca1c1a.jpg

015_zpsf798ef74.jpg

Thanks man! They went on very nicely and they should flow a million times better than the old ones. They do contact the trans in a few places but I think I am going to leave them as is until I start noticing some wear on them.

Here's a more recent picture. Crappy cell shot but you get the idea. Painted the intercooler that day so it's not on in the picture. The turbo is fully mounted and has an oil line hooked up now.

IMAG0174_zps83f49d8d.jpg

Once I get the intercooler setup filled and tested I will be a lot closer to getting this thing started. I ordered a bunch of stuff within the past few days too.

new spark plugs-1 step colder than stock
new exhaust hangers- I might have cut the old ones off when removing the old exhaust
a shorter accessory belt-deleted the AC system
a new rear o2 sensor because the other one is frozen into the old turbo pipes
a wastegate dump pipe
a slim radiator fan- pusher style because I need the space for the front turbo manifold

cant wait to see this thing get on the road this summer. always love seeing progress on this build

Back