Chef's 1994 MX6 build thread

Going to save for an Mfactory lsd too. They seem like the best option unless someone knows a torsion style one.

Torsen differential is actually a brand name and was never avalible in any fwd Mazda. Quaife makes a very similar differential and its available to the aftermarket. You still get the gear based and torque bias like the original Torsen, but it is a little pricey. More than worth it, imo. Gears don't wear out like clutch packs and its by far the strongest differential on the market.

Thanks for that. I was assuming that some of these brands were clutch based models but they aren't. Both the quaife and mfactory are gear based. The quaife needs modification to fit the mx6 trans. and the mfactory is bolt in.

Yeah according to their website they are gear based. They mention nothing about any clutch plates and their cutaway pictures look nothing like a clutch based lsd inside.

Whoa it's all the old guys back from the dead... :~) on here.... Chief always good 2 see you back with another mx-6 :) Just glad 2 see some1 still living the glory days..

Haha...true, it is good to see some of the older (older than me!) members still playing with the KL!

I'm still building my mx-6... parts up the a$$ but no rustless shell yet... I just picked up a 04 mazda 6 3.0l about 2 swap the motor with a fushion.. Mazdafushion :eek:) Keep up the good work my fellow KL owners....
Keep it zoom zoom booming!

Did some quick work today. I put most of the interior back in and installed some pillar braces. I had them in my last mx6 and they make a huge difference.

Here's a current engine bay shot. Still need to pull the downpipe, cut the old flange off, and get the new one welded on.

002-4.jpg

You can see my hose route for the w2a cooling lines here.

003-4.jpg

Here's how they run through the interior. They will fit under the passenger seat fine and I will probably just zip tie them together against the center console so the passenger doesn't kick them.

004-2.jpg

005-3.jpg

And into the trunk setup. I made that floor with mdf but i might cut it out of better wood if it doesn't last well.

006-1.jpg

007-2.jpg

And the workbench is pretty full as usual. You can see my new turboxs type h blowoff valve near the intercooler. I need to get the flange welded right to the inlet side of the intercooler. I also need to make some brackets for the w2a radiator and buy a little more hose to connect the cold/inlet side to the intercooler.

008-2.jpg

i hope i can relocate my battery to the trunk on my mx-3, this is a sweet car i wsih i could of got my mx-6 like this before i sold it...maybe i will get another one...

Got some more work done today. My brother and I got the car up on jack stands and pulled the wheels off. I had to grind/drill two frozen nuts off the studs on the front passenger side wheel. All of the lug nuts required a breaker bar and impact socket though. Those things were on there tight and I have been spraying them with penetrating catalyst for a week now.

007-3.jpg

Hmmm, which two needed a little persuading?

009-1.jpg

Bastards...

010-1.jpg

Now that the wheels are off I will start removing the brakes and suspension for cleaning, maintenance, and adjustments. I will need a new hub or at least two new studs for the ones I drilled holes in.

Nice bump. I've made some nice progress but I haven't taken any pictures lately. The suspension is cleaned, adjusted, and reinstalled and the front brakes are almost finished.

After I get the front back together I will pull the whole exhaust after the turbo off, replace a missing bolt in the shift linkage, and start on engine/turbo stuff again. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel but it is still a good ways from running.

As long as you can always see the light, no matter how faint..you will be okay, lol. I can see the light at the end for my build..but I feel like I am running on a treadmill staring at it, lol.

I'm not 100% sure how I am going to route the exhaust yet. Definitely a side exit but I won't know where until I have the car up on a lift at my buddy's shop. Lots to do before then.

Here's some fresh progress shots. Baby steps. Got the rear suspension done and temporary wheels on so I could get it on the ground and use the jack stands for the 3.

002-5.jpg

003-5.jpg

Also got the brakes apart finally. Just need new hardware to get them back together and on the car. I had to heat, deep creep, and drill the bolts to get them free.

001-5.jpg

Also picked up a front lip a while back. Not sure if I will bother painting it body color since it will make the rest of the car look terrible. Might just do black primer. It's just hanging on there not attached yet.

004-3.jpg

005-4.jpg

006-3.jpg

Today was a productive day. I removed the exhaust after the turbo since I won't be running it out the back again. Also bolted up the shifter stabilizer that had a sheared bolt, reattached the intermediate shaft that was loose, installed the trans saver brace, and adjusted the suspension a bit. Once my new brake rotor bolts get here I can get the front end back together and get the car on the ground.

008-3.jpg

005-5.jpg

004-4.jpg

001-6.jpg

006-4.jpg

007-4.jpg

I almost for got about this build thread. And it's sooooo badass. Keep it up, mate. :)

What front lip is that? In all of my searches I've never seen that one before. I have a poly imitation spoon lip for mine in the works.

Back