Budget: $20,000 what car would you buy?

Lt. Dan said:
(rofl) (rofl) (rofl) (rofl)
(rlaugh) (rlaugh) (rlaugh) (rlaugh) (rlaugh)

FD??!!!?! Affordable??!!?!!? That's the funniest thing I've read this morning. That, and there is no way to build a high horsepower, RELIABLE FD for less than 20 grand...

Go look at a GTO, or if you don't mind a car a couple years old, check out a Camaro SS...

Dan

Buy a shell for $6K-9K. even cheaper on ebay if you find one without an engine. and put a Cosmo 3 rotor in ($5K) for instant 320 hp. Upgraded turbo kit and engine managment plus all neccesarly add in like oil coolers. probally run you another $5-6K if you have fun and do the labor yourself.

instant 500 hp very reliably because they actually sell a 500 hp 3 rotor cosmo engine RX7 with full warrenty from Banzai racing. There been peopel pumping out major HP from a 20B...look at ACosta racing and the 800 hp 20B RX8.

Its plenty reliable since Rolex and grand am class race a 3 rotor RX8 with 350-400 hp non stop for 24 hours. Engine on either car did not blow once so ever. Only cooling and transmission problems. Cooling is the most important part. tunning a rotary is very different from a piston engine. exhaust gas are hotter and oil is the life line. theres alot of idiots pumping out 500 hp with stock oil coolers.

you have a 2800 lbs car with 500 hp compared to a 3500 lbs car with 600-700 hp. Reality is the RX7 wont experence tracktion problems. 500 hp RX7 is a very fast car.

AS for me...im not into drag racing so I would tune it for 300-400 hp. Plenty are reliable at that range. my friend FD has been tuned on 450 hp for 3 years with built aviation seals.

You have to remember that the car is deadly with 300-400 hp. Whos the new tougue king in Best motoring? The one that beat the 800 hp MCR skyline? non other then RE amemyia RX7 on stock turbo 13B

REliability is there...remember that Mazda races rotaries in endurence races. winning 24 hour at Lemans in 1991...not one single break down and virtually no wear on the engine. it just take a person to know a rotary engine to tune it right. And Mazda also has its own formula alantic race car series called star mazda...everyone races a stock renisis motor. And the autox winner here at MArtin morotsports in the street mod stock tire class is a RX7. plenty of people race RX7s so thats why parts are cheap. If you been to 24 hours at daytona you would know that a daytona legend is a Savanna RX7...which won 24 hours at daytona several times and did very well in its class. that was a race program between racing beat and MAzda.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 59
romecandleboy said:
Yep. A reasonably loaded Solstice will cost about the same as a MX-5 (touring/s model) -If not more.

GM always does this. They advertise the lowest price possible for a model to get your interest...then they push you up the options ladder about 3 or 4 grand. I see this with the new HHR - they advertise $15,999 and then you get to the dealership and they only have top end models priced at $23,999 (actual price i saw on a lot). Anyone that pays $24k for a breadbox Cobalt with 1/4 times in the 18's is out of their mind.
The Solstice can be ordered as a base model or with the Z0K "Club Sport" package. (Springs, shocks, swaybars, crank windows, no A/C - $1200) The Solstice can be ordered as a base car for $20k, but since there is high demand for it you'll likely find only highly optioned models on a lot.

Brian MP5T said:
Good luck for $3000 (boom04)
I know, I know but it would be nice. Although I did see an '83 944 in the latest pit talk for 3000. Says that it runs good, has ITS logbook, Autopower roll cage street legal (hi)

Brian MP5T said:
anything Pre 85.5 is a waste IMO.. The Post 85.5 is a much better car..

all I know is that I have a couple of years before I will start looking for a new toy. I just have fun with my P5 now. BTW nice work on both your P5 and the 944 (rei)

Brian MP5T said:
Thanks.

If you need more info on PORSCHE...

www.theautobahn.com (rockon)
doesn't have anything to do with this thread, but i had to say that was a great write up about forced induction over there, brian. good luck with the whole 944 build...i've always loved those things. i'm sure its going to look freakin sweet when you get with done with it.

Back