Budget: $20,000 what car would you buy?

Captain KRM P5 said:
love that car too and the turbo GXP version will make people forget all about the deceased F bodies

yes, yes. I think I'm gonna try to talk the g/f into the GXP when it's released. IMO they look pretty sick.

msp35 said:
yes, yes. I think I'm gonna try to talk the g/f into the GXP when it's released. IMO they look pretty sick.

I like the exterior of the SKY better.....

Thanks guys for all the help... Tonight I test drove the Cobalt SS supercharged and the SRT-4, my opinions...

Cobalt SS supercharged - Awesome! I thought this was a really fun car to drive and the interior was very nice. I drove the one with the performance package (which includes the LSD) and I thought it was so much fun. I also like the style of the car. So does my g/f which is always a plus lol This could be the winner.

2004 SRT-4 - Not that impressed, sorry. I dont know I just didnt like the feel of the car, it didnt do it for me. And also the interior looks straight out of a tonka truck. Lets just say I am not too fond of it.

fattyboombatty said:
2004 SRT-4 - Not that impressed, sorry. I dont know I just didnt like the feel of the car, it didnt do it for me. And also the interior looks straight out of a tonka truck. Lets just say I am not too fond of it.
awaiting response of our resident srt-4 troll

CasopoliS said:
I like the exterior of the SKY better.....
Yeah, but you'd be hard-pressed to find one. They'll be starting production soon but some dealerships have already sold out for all of 2006. I'm supposed to have mine around the beginning of the summer.

Captain KRM P5 said:
love that car too and the turbo GXP version will make people forget all about the deceased F bodies

The Turbo GXP will be in the mid $20s

Nolimits said:
You must have driven a Neon with the SRT bodykit. People who test drive them, whether they love em or hate em, always remark about the sheer power of the car. And you didnt, its MUCH faster than a Cobalt SS Supercharged, not to mention much cheaper. The SS with Performance Package is around 25k. An SRT-4 ACR handling is on par with a MSP, the Cobalt SS cant compare.

But yes, the Cobalt SS interior is nice, but if you care about interior, get an RSX-s, it runs almost the same times as the Cobalt, comes in 6 speed, and responds to mods much better. Full bolt-on Cobalt SS' still cant break out of 14's.

Well I will say this, the one I test drove was slightly used and I was just test driving any srt-4 I came across to try it out. Well this one had a check engine light on so maybe that had something to do with it? But yeah I do not think I could deal with the interior but I am not knocking the speed or the power of the car.

Have you thought about the V.W. GTI? If you have the time check out www.autotrader.com and check out different models. You could also go to edmunds.com they have a lot of good info. I think buying new is nice, but the mark-up is nasty. Before I got my p5 I searched through a lot of classifieds (online) and found a lot of good deals. I found the p5 going to check out a saab 9-2. That is another choice that or the subaru wrx sedan/wagon. Keep in mind flashier(s.s.) higher ins. just my .02 good luck (thumb)

WALK...at least until the Mazdaspeed 3 comes out :)

For the love of god don't get a cobalt. If there is a car the just wreaks of cheap rice, it's the cobalt.

Honestly, Just go get the Si.

$3000.00

Porsche%20%282%29.jpg

scion tc super charged would be around 20k.. if you want a new car.. if not a MSP fo sho!!

The first estimate from the insurance company wasn't enough to total it. It is 7000 something and it needed to be 11 g's to total it... so I do not think I am going to be getting a new car as of yet. But if the car is a piece of s*** when I get it back it is getting traded in immediatly.

CasopoliS said:
really? I bet that Ecotec would be a trip to drive....
More HP and more torque then an S2000, nearly the same curb weight, and almost 50/50 weight distribution. Yeah, I think it will be fun.

what's important to you? what will you be doing with it? how long will you keep it? do you need 4 doors? is your price range "around $20k," or is $20k a hard ceiling? i think that stuff will inform the decision more than anything.

and remember how easy it is for other people to spend your money on things like turbo kits. it sounds like a great idea until you're shelling out money and don't have a car for a while, or are dealing with the inevitable small bugs that crop up. i wouldn't swim in that pool with my daily driver.

if you want reliable transportation with a little flash, the tC is hard to beat. it's a nice car for daily driving and commuting, but if you're looking for a sharp-edged car, that's not it. the old GTI is also in this category.

things like the 944 and RX-7 are fun and interesting and very cool, but you're not going to be able to finance them or the reconditioning/repairs they're inevitably going to need (also see: paragraph 1). not a good choice as an only car, IMO. if you want something like this, pick up an ~'02 protege or similar for $8-9,000 and save the rest of your money for the fun car.

if you want something that will perform like your MSP (and you don't want another MSP), the Si seems like a great choice. a slightly used RSX-S is also a good choice; i owned an '02, and it was an awesome car as a DD. either Honda is going to keep its value extremely well.

if you want something faster, go with the cobalt or the SRT-4, or the new GTI (although the new GTI is probably above your ~$20k price range). remember that at $20k, you're making sacrifices...in this case, straight-line speed for handling, refinement, resale, and fit/finish. a slightly used WRX is also a great car, but with any of these, be careful who you buy from ("i can turn up the boost mad high with a $5 Home Depot valve, y0!!1!"). however, if you're not competing (autoX, etc) in the car, the loss in ultimate handling capability/potential might not matter.

do you want a convertible or a hardtop? they're not really interchangeable, as the sacrifices you make with a convertible can be major, but well worth it.

if you want a convertible, pretty much any of the ones mentioned are good choices, IMO. except you're not finding a new Elise for $35k...(uhm). a used S2000 (a 2000 or 2001), an MSM, or a regular Miata are easily obtainable. the GM roadsters are harder to come by.

if i were looking for a new car in the "around $20k" range, i'd buy a Miata, hands down. my second choice would be an Si.

Last edited:
mikeyb said:
Good luck finding a Solstice for $20.

Yep. A reasonably loaded Solstice will cost about the same as a MX-5 (touring/s model) -If not more.

GM always does this. They advertise the lowest price possible for a model to get your interest...then they push you up the options ladder about 3 or 4 grand. I see this with the new HHR - they advertise $15,999 and then you get to the dealership and they only have top end models priced at $23,999 (actual price i saw on a lot). Anyone that pays $24k for a breadbox Cobalt with 1/4 times in the 18's is out of their mind.

I dont think you can get the cobalt ss's supercharged anymore. Atleast not in canada. I could be mistaken thou :p

Back