Ashtray gauges

artfuldriver

:
08 Speed 3 GT- MS-CAI, MS-CBE, SU MM, Cobb 2 springs/swaybars
I hope someone can help.

I want to install oil pressure and vac gauge in the center ashtray but can't find a kit on line. Can anyone send me some links or picts of what this would look like?

I don't want the pillar pods or top dash kits.

Thanks,

like most members will tell you, there are some parts made for our mazdas but others, such as the one your looking for may not be. You will probably have to do a custom one off for yourself, if your successfull, try and make up a how to for others to follow. Good Luck

like most members will tell you, there are some parts made for our mazdas but others, such as the one your looking for may not be. You will probably have to do a custom one off for yourself, if your successfull, try and make up a how to for others to follow. Good Luck

(iagree). I think you should do a custom one,do some measurements, get two 52mm gauge pods if it fits, make a nice cover and see what happens. I might actually do it my self (naughty)

Last edited:
I thought I had seen a post for the ashtray mount. Thanks for the feedback. Maybe this summer I will have some time.

I dont know why you would want a guage so low i think this is dumb.

To each is own. The 1999 BMW M3 had gauges down low in this same position and it looked great.

Since I am probably older than the typical MS3 owner, I want to keep my mods somewhat understated.

Thanks for your comment

To each is own. The 1999 BMW M3 had gauges down low in this same position and it looked great.

Since I am probably older than the typical MS3 owner, I want to keep my mods somewhat understated.

Thanks for your comment

Besides, not all gauges have to be constantly monitored, so they don`t all need to be right up there in your line of sight.

"Thanks for your comment" = Polite speak for "Kiss my ass, idiot." Just in case he couldn`t figure it out on his own.
Reminds me of the old joke about the southern wives and "That`s nice".

i definitely saw a picture of one that the guy put between the cig lighter and the air bag light. Drilled a hole in the center and mounted an autometer boost gauge there. Looked really cool, but sorry I cant find the pic.

Thanks for your comment

LOL nice ;)

Here

gauge1.JPG

seriously, i think it looks rediculous and the function/readability of a guage down there is just about zero especially when your shifter is right in front of it....to each his own ill leave it at that..

Functionality of zero eh? Looks like it would work fine, even better in the ash tray where it would be at an angle facing you. Not everyone wants a gaugepod on their dash.

http://www.racingbeat.com/photos/11816L.jpg

I would totally rock one of those.

Hey spoolin.....Props for spending the time to find the guage..Ive never seen one in positioned like that before...and ILL be honest its not MY cup of tea..But seriously man not everyone is gonna have the same tastes as you..or me..who cares..doesnt make it retarded or dumb..people like what they like...I like your red speed 3..looks clean..but im sure theres something that you think is cool or looks nice that I wouldnt want to have...does that make you dumb or retarded..Nope..just means your different than me..and thats just fine in my book..just my 2 cents :)

you cant honestly look at that picture and say it is angled toward the driver...its completely straight...its not about what i like or what you like... tell me what the function of a guage is

There is another installation pic around somewhere of a smaller gauge that doesn`t have the huge ring, although I`ll be damned if I can find it. It looks much better.
As pointed out earlier, that location is fine for the kinds of gauges you only check once in a while. Battery voltage, oil temp, that kind of thing.

yah, i guess it be ok for guages like that...but still seems rice to me...like painting your interior panels

yah, i guess it be ok for guages like that...but still seems rice to me...like painting your interior panels

As many of the other long term members could tell you, I am pretty quick to cry "rice", but I have to disagree in this case.
When you add a functional gauge to your car and put it in an area where it doesn`t stick out like a sore thumb screaming "look at me, I added some gauges!", I consider that the opposite of rice.

Back