Any Complaints (hopefully all minor)

I have contemplated getting the deflector but I recall on my old acura that it was a pain in the ass when it cames to washing the car. everytime i soap up the car and rinse the deflector would get in the way of hosing everything down.

For the folks with Moonroofs, do any of you have the deflector?

http://mazdagear.com/moonroof-wind-deflector---cx-5.aspx

CX5MoonroofDeflector.jpg

Does it help at all?

No way I'm sticking moonroof visor (or side window visors) on my CX-5. Too old school ricer-looking for my taste and unnecessary.

I don't have issues with moonroof, since I don't drive with rear windows open while roof is open. My hair is short so I don't use hairspray.

First post here. I have the AWD Touring with the Tech Package.

I have the exact same issue with the seat as been posted.
I also have a slight air leak around the right rear door. Similiar to what was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Everything else has been good.

Buffeting happens on lot's of vehicles. It was even in the manuel of our 2010 Jeep Liberty. We have the buffeting in our CX-7 and the 3 I just turned in.

FWIW - I have ZERO vibration issues.

My issue is this: Is it possible to turn on "accessory?" Meaning, can I turn on the radio in the engine is off? If you tell me to RTM I'd be happy then at least I'd know its possible but as far as I know I cannot turn on the radio unless the ignition is on.

just press the starter button without your foot on the brake.

Bumping this post up because it has best pic for showing seat problem.

I noticed this in my Touring with the cloth seats. The seat bottom seems very cheap and you can pull it up like that. Since havnig the Katzkin leater seats, it's no longer a problem. :)

The carpet really is cheap like everyone says :D I was installing my all weather mats that arrived and as I'm taking the carpeted mats off the clips the whole carpet started coming up along with the hook. But this is a minor thing for me, not like I'm going to be walking back and forth on the carpet lol the OEM wetaher mats are really good quality by the way I paid about $140 for all 4 mats + the cargo tray.

I thinck i hve a problem with my cx5. When i Turn my streering wheel left and right - 10kmh my sterring wheel crack. I dont Know this problem?

I thinck i hve a problem with my cx5. When i Turn my streering wheel left and right - 10kmh my sterring wheel crack. I dont Know this problem?

What cracks? the steering wheel itself? the steering column? or the suspension/wheels?

t'es tu Franais? Je comprend pas ce que t'essayes de dire et je pense pas que les autres comprennent non plus. Essayes-toi en francais voir :p

Le volant crak quand je tourne basse vitesse. Mes juste le volant. J'ai appeller mon dealer et ils vont le cheker mardi matin.

Just got my 2013 CX5 luv it so far...
the only complaints are:

1- the noise when 1 the rear window is down, its actually painful to the ears until you open a second window
2- the plastic handle that brings both the passenger and driver back rest on the seats broke off after the first week. Bad design, metal pegs on the seats to plastic holes on the handle... be prepared as i believe it will continue to happen. My mazda dealership did not have the part so I had to wait a week for it.
I ordered 2 since the passenger side is loose now.

Yes I agree with 1, it was a bad noise.

My biggest gripe right now is the damn trunk. sometimes I think i have closed it but instead it shows up as having not been closed. I don't want to slam the trunk but at the same time it's very hard to differentiate if the trunk latch is actually locked or not. anyone else having this issue?
I agree, have the same problem. Also if I am seeing things right the Red icon indicator is the same for the trunk or the doors.

I agree, have the same problem. Also if I am seeing things right the Red icon indicator is the same for the trunk or the doors.

My wife's 2012 Focus has an door open indicator that shows a picture of the car in the instrument panel and it shows which door or hood or trunk is open. It's pretty cool. Wish the CX-5 had something like that instead of the generic red light.

My wife's 2012 Focus has an door open indicator that shows a picture of the car in the instrument panel and it shows which door or hood or trunk is open. It's pretty cool. Wish the CX-5 had something like that instead of the generic red light.

I rather have the generic red light over the 11 times i had to bring my 2012 Ford Focus to the dealership for problems that could not or Ford would not fix. Thats why i traded it in for the 2013 mazda CX5. Loving every minute of it................................

Last edited:
I have so many problems with this CX-5 I don't even know where to start. I guess we should start chronologically. 4 days after taking possession of our new CX-5 GX, the cargo door stops working. I unlocked the doors and pushed the button and nadda. I brought it back to Mazda on Monday. The next day I call to see how things are going and they say they can't fix the issue until Mazda Canada does the diagnostic themselves. They proceed to tell me I can expect the same delay any time the vehicle goes into the shop for the next 10-12 months. Well that certainly wasn't in the sales pitch when they promoted the latest and greatest. Moving on. 5 days later I get it back and the work order says the rear latch was replaced due to "corrosion". I decided to go to Mazda and demand a new vehicle fearing what else could be wrong if there is corrosion damage 4 days in. The sales manager literally laughed in my face and said he would take it back at trade in value. Fair enough, that comment just lost Mazda any future sales from our family. We took the vehicle back and now we are noticing that there is a hop in the suspension in the front passenger side. I have taken it back to Mazda a number of times and they keep saying it drives just like the demo. I have driven the demo and it certainly doesn't have the same hop. They also say it may be the fact that you can feel the road more in this vehicle. If that is the case my question is, why do I feel the passenger side of the road hopping around and the driver side does not hop at all?

I am also noticing that the dual exhaust seems to be constantly black despite me cleaning it every couple of days. I am not sure if this is normal for the CX-5 but the only other time I have seen build up on an exhaust this thick in such a short period of time, is on my friends 1999 Prelude that burns oil like it's going out of style. Anyone else notice this on their CX-5?

My last complaint is my fault but I feel that I was misled. I thought the rims that came on our GX were "17 inch alloy" (as described on the hand out from Mazda as well as the Mazda website). Not knowing a whole lot about rims, I noticed a few days ago while browsing ebay that they are actually 17" steel rims and you have to upgrade to the convenience package to get the alloys. If that is the case why does it say "17 inch alloy" for a base GX on 2 different pieces of documentation provided directly by Mazda?

That's my experience so far. Based on this information I would not recommend buying the CX-5 for anyone. It is nothing against Mazda as we previously owned a 2007 3 and have nothing but amazing things to say about it.

P.S. Did anybody else notice there is a carpet material that looks like it would be great at holding moister in the rear wheel wells? What's up with that stuff?

Last edited:
P.S. Did anybody else notice there is a carpet material that looks like it would be great at holding moister in the rear wheel wells? What's up with that stuff?

Sorry about your experience. I haven't noticed the black exhaust issue on ours. As far as the carpet stuff in the wheel wells, a lot of cars have that. It started in luxury cars a while back and has trickled down to the eco-boxes. It helps with road noise, and rocks being kicked up into the wheel wells. Our old acura had it, and it doesn't hold moisture in, or get moldy, or anything else.

Sorry that does so like a whole lot of issues. Sounds like 2 or three small issues. This is why you have a warranty. Cars are made of thousands of parts and there is always a chance that one of those parts may have an issue. The corrosion on the latch is probably a parts supplier issue. It doesn't mean that the rest of the car is going to rust. The hopping could be a bad strut, which should be replaced.

Bottom line IMO sounds like the dealer is more of an issue than the car. Try to keep things in perspective stuff happens to all cars, it's just the law of averages.

Drivers side mirror vibration and shaking

Hello i have a black grand touring without the tech package.

When i got my car i noticed when im on the freeway or even fast city driving (40 mph +) my drivers side mirror was shaking rapidly! And as time went on it got worse and worse while my right mirror was COMPLETELY still and perfect, and when i played music (volume 20+) it would shake even more! I was not happy with this problem because visibility was not clear when trying to change lanes. I took it back to the dealer i bought it from and he test drove my car an told me it was just NORMAL. bulls*** this is not normal! He took me on a test drive with another CX-5 on their lot and it was doing the same thing. I was very angry because they wouldn't fix the problem claiming it was normal! I took it again to the dealer thats closer to me and they looked at it, and said okay we saw the problem and ordered me a new mirror. 3-5 days the part came and it was installed in a couple hours.

Just got my car back yesterday from the dealer and I'm still noticing that the mirror is shaking even this new one that they have installed! Its certainly not as bad as my previous mirror but it is shaking alot when im driving over 45mph and i have my music on too as well so its even worse! I have no idea why mazda has these bad parts! MY RIGHT SIDE MIRROR IS PERFECT NO MATTER HOW FAST IM GOING OR HOW LOUD MY MUSIC IS ... ITS PERFECTLY STILL....

Is anybody else having this problem? What do you think i should do now?

Back