Any Complaints (hopefully all minor)

Just got my 2013 CX5 luv it so far...
the only complaints are:

1- the noise when 1 the rear window is down, its actually painful to the ears until you open a second window
2- the plastic handle that brings both the passenger and driver back rest on the seats broke off after the first week. Bad design, metal pegs on the seats to plastic holes on the handle... be prepared as i believe it will continue to happen. My mazda dealership did not have the part so I had to wait a week for it.
I ordered 2 since the passenger side is loose now.

Just tap on the dash and door panels with your fingers. The plastics sound and feel really cheap. It's one of many reasons I didn't buy a CR-V. The CX-5 is a much higher quality product.

Other than the soft touch dashboard in the CX-5, the rest of the interior is that exact same hard plastic. doors, console, pillars, rear cargo area, the list goes on...

Last edited:
Other than the soft touch dashboard in the CX-5, the rest of the interior is that exact same hard plastic. doors, console, pillars, etc..

I find my CX-5 (GT model if that makes a difference and maybe it does) to be typical of vehicles in this price range regarding interior quality.

Mine has soft touch dash, soft material on armrest top and side w/red stictching), soft material on console armrest. The use of hard plastics on parts of doors not touched by driver or passengers on a regular basis and hard plastics on pillars are not abnormal even in Mercedes, Lexus, Jags, BMWs, Audis today. Fit and finish of these soft and hard materials is very good. In fact the interior is European in many ways. Is the interior of base models CX-5's that much different possibly?

I can point out a few cost-saving measures taken in the interior compared to premium cars, but that really is not related to this discussion.

I have a touring and the armrest top is not at all soft. when you touch it, it does not spring back like the dash does. The way it is textured it appears leather or vinyl but it's the same plastic used in the door panels.

I see. I drove a Touring back in March, but don't remember the difference in materials.

Other than the soft touch dashboard in the CX-5, the rest of the interior is that exact same hard plastic. doors, console, pillars, rear cargo area, the list goes on...

I have the Sport. Some sections like armrests and top of the door panels are made of a rubberized and textured plastic. There are also sections of the door panels covered with the same fabric as the seats. The new Hondas are made of glossy hard plastic comparable to the cheap Dell keyboard that I'm tapping on right now. Even on the top EX-L trims.

This is not my only complaint of the new hondas. My honda dealer is awesome. I drive 35 miles each way, bypassing 3 other honda dealerships and countless independent shops whenever I need service because they offer the best prices and service quality. But I will never buy an inferior product.

Misc noises and issues

I've only had 3 issues come up:

1 - Steering column rattle that goes away when adjusted all the way in.
- Dealer repaired by tightening up some screws that were pretty loose from the factory.

2 - Vibrating mirror (reported here)
- Dealer stated there is a TSB being generated and should be released in the next 1-2 months.

3 - High pitched mechanical rattle/pinging sound when accelerating. Only seems to happen during moderate acceleration, between 2k-3k RPMs and in 2nd and 3rd gear. The dealer was able to reproduce on my and two vehicles on the lot but isn't sure what's causing it. Tightened up some bolts on the firewall that seems to have helped a little, but it's still there. Corporate is heading out to test the vehicles on the lot so I'm not stuck with a rental while they figure things out. I'll let you know when there is an update on this one.

I do wish the back row/seats were a bit more adjustable (i.e. recline and or sliding front/back) although it's a minor quibble. Not sure how other CUV's are in this area so it might be par for the course.

Also, I know what a TSB is but not sure what it does. Does the issuance of a TSB mean that any fixes are covered automatically at a dealer?

My biggest gripe right now is the damn trunk. sometimes I think i have closed it but instead it shows up as having not been closed. I don't want to slam the trunk but at the same time it's very hard to differentiate if the trunk latch is actually locked or not. anyone else having this issue?

I was having this issue then I read the owner's manual. It says do NOT slam it, pull it down to about 6" away from closed and then push it shut. Closes alot better that way, I was having issues closing it too. My wife's jeep patriot requires a full slam so that's what I was doing out of habit with no success. Also if the back is not fully closed it won't lock so if you're hitting the lock button with no lights flashing check the back liftgate.

Issues I'm having: I get the hood vibration at highway speed (maroon color makes it more noticable I think), side mirrors vibrate some but it doesn't bother me much. Driver's seat cushion near the door is getting folds/wrinkles in the material from me getting in and out of the car, going to mention it to the dealer at the first oil change.

^ Good pointer on the hatchback closing, I should have read it but kind of figured it out in the first few days on my own. Only for the first couple days I had similar issue as JTNY, never again.

I do wish the back row/seats were a bit more adjustable (i.e. recline and or sliding front/back) although it's a minor quibble. Not sure how other CUV's are in this area so it might be par for the course.

Also, I know what a TSB is but not sure what it does. Does the issuance of a TSB mean that any fixes are covered automatically at a dealer?

Issues covered by TSB's will be taken care of by the dealer, but only if you bring it in and they are able to reproduce the problem. My dealer is actually going to give me a call when the TSB is released to come in and repair the mirror which is going above and beyond in my experience.

I've only noticed adjustable rear seats in higher end vehicles (Infiniti FX, etc), but it would definitely have been cool to have. I'm not too worried about it though since my passengers have stated the seats were comfortable and I (hopefully) will never be sitting back there ;-)

Yes, I expect separate TSB's for both mirror vibe and hood vibe issues.

btw - New 2013 Ford Escape rear seats adjust/recline, I saw how it worked today and would probably rarely use the feature. Mazda rear seat is more comfy because it is higher off the floor or more like chair height.

Update on minor issues:
1. Hood vibration is now only apparent when going into a strong head wind
2. Mirror vibration is ongoing, but TSB mentioned above
3. Seat cushion has been repaired - Mazda sent out a new cushion and are now supplying revised clips so expect a proper TSB
4. Wheel balance issue being worked on. 55 is good, 70 still existing
5. Excessive rear brake dust.

3rd that, no prob w/leather, but let us know what to watch for...

Back