Another build thread...OMG!!

Are you going to be using adjustable cam gears to dial out some of the over lap of those cams?

Are you going to be using adjustable cam gears to dial out some of the over lap of those cams?

Nah..don't need it. I had these in the old p5 before as an NA car, and they worked fine without adjustables. Noticed a better pull to top end after 4000rpm. I have a set of SR adjustable gears at home but I'll probably end up selling those.

Alright..shoppin for new gauges...what should it be?

Toss up between Autometer, AEM, DEFI and Prosport.

Who's got experiences, please share..thanks

I have the AEM truboost, and AEM Wideband. I love em!

I had autometer and the boost gauge was WAYYYYYYY off and out of calibration after the first year of use.

I like Autometer cuz they have a red backlit gauge. Black face but it still looks good in the Pro5. Look at my thread for a pic.

Edit: HAHA! I lied, no pics. I'll post one tonight.

sub.lol i swear i seen your car on 17th ave and parked by it lol. Looks like a nice build by the way we will have to race one day when your done. I got same pistons as you on my build. Is maxx building this for you? and what machine shop did you end up going to?

I'm looking for boost, and oil pressure. My current are the Prosport mech and electronic oil press. gauges, but they are getting replaced. I was looking at AEM and I think I'm going to go with them. Just saving now.

@mazdaspeedp - No spare crank, sorry. And I went to Precision like what Maxx recommended. They do good work. And for racing..ya..one day..maybe...not really into that. And I did see a yellow msp with carbon hood and a low hanging intercooler parked a car behind me on 17th on a saturday night. That was you? I would like to take a listen to your corksport exhaust one day.

EDIT: Friday night. I was at The Coup with some friends.

Last edited:
Finally got to put on the summer wheels.

5865859371_f1464e9293_b.jpg

Yeah that was my Msp. Motor should be done in about a month and I might try to get a bigger intercooler

Old thread revival because I felt like it. It's been 2 years on the rebuilt motor now, got about 36,000km on the clock. The original post with the mod list had changed a bit.
Running 8psi on a SS AFC putting down 198whp/189tq. Just wanted a fun car with a safety margin because it is a daily driven ride even in winter. I might throw it on the dyno again and crank it up to 10psi but the tranny needs a rebuild first.

Gonna be hitting up Crossover and Mazda for some parts and then sourcing a transmission from the junkyard. I might or might not post pics again. We'll see how I feel.

Just checked out the thread and its awesome bro. #Salute. How much would you say you spent to make the MSP at 198whp?

Since I got a shop to do the motor build, it was about 10k for parts/labor. Including the dyno time to tune the AFC, the rebuilt turbo, the rebuilt head, and all the little misc stuff that comes along w/ building a motor.

Mind you, I already had most of the bolt-ons on the car before the motor blew so I would probably guess that I spent about another 2-3K on parts alone before the rebuild. Car can definitely handle more than 8psi now but I'd like to get the tranny rebuilt first before increasing anything.

The price I pay for not having a garage or room to tinker in my parking garage.

Back