Am I crazy or is my paint flaking?

veritas80

23' CX5 Turbo
:
SI, NY
I'm aware I very well could be crazy so feel free to call me out lol.
23' Turbo in White that I've had for about 6 months. Never parked under a tree. I've noticed this for the last few weeks. These "white" specs that appear on front clip of the car. The emblem, front bumper, grill, windshield, headlights, mirror caps. And it's a lot and it's only after the car has been moving. Some of the shots show little bugs yes I know but the stuff I pointed out in the pictures are like these white specs that rub off when you touch them. I know pollen is more yellow and I don't remember seeing anything like this before and it's just bizarre. Every time I get the car up to speed after a while and then park, i see these specs.

That car has 700 miles on it...it can't possible be a bad paint job, right? Dried paint that never cured and now its slowly coming off when I'm going 60 miles an hour? 🤷‍♂️
Mind you the specs don't appear anywhere else on the car after its been moving, so It does tell me they are "hitting" the front of the car but it's just weird.

Here are some pics. tell i'm nuts, it's ok :LOL:

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_c8b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_c8b.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 116
  • fullsizeoutput_c82.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_c82.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 116
  • fullsizeoutput_c86.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_c86.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 115
  • fullsizeoutput_c83.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_c83.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 112
  • fullsizeoutput_c84.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_c84.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 113
  • fullsizeoutput_c85.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_c85.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 123
Given it's occurring on areas that are not painted (emblem, headlamps, black trim) it's obviously not paint flaking. Furthermore, as the specks look exactly like the insect spots (minus the wings) I would say with 95% certainty, that they are ALL insect detritus - just that the wings have blown off on impact.

insects most likely.
Do a good wash to remove them the always wax the front of the car after car wash.
They would be easier to clean next time because of the wax on top of the surface.

Wash the car then go over it with an exterior detailing agent, like Meguiars.
Looks like bugs or some other crap.

I get a similar issue, and I think that the LED lights attract the bugs quite a bit. Also, the wax from the dealerships is fairly minimal on delivery.

Needs a thorough wash, and then a coating (I use Ethos resist).

Then, Maguair's Quick Detail can take the bugs off with a simple wipe.

Ditto, on the above sentiments. Look like contaminants, to me.

During the winters, in my region a salt/brine solution is used. Afterwards, for a few weeks until rains wash the mess away, there's often a filmy, spotty white crud (like the pics above) that forms on forward-facing surfaces. (But, it's July.)

Looks like bugs, to me, from the pics. But I don't know.

Definitely try some different chemicals to help dissolve the stuff. Any of the "bug and tar" removal chemicals. If you think it might be due to the residual winter-based solutions placed on roads, try a decent salt neutralizer. I'd finish up with a good clay bar used with Meguiars Quik Detailer. If you've never used a clay bar, it's surprising what the stuff gets off paint surfaces.

Thanks for all the replies guys (y)
Whatever it is, it rubs off pretty easy so its not like I wash the car and its still there, but I will totally give it a good cleaning.

What was crazy was yesterday my wife and I drove out of NYC to upstate NY (all highway driving) to visit my parents and I had to clean the windshield like 3 times in a span of 90 minutes as you could see the specs build up on the windshield. 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for all the replies guys (y)
Whatever it is, it rubs off pretty easy so its not like I wash the car and its still there, but I will totally give it a good cleaning.

What was crazy was yesterday my wife and I drove out of NYC to upstate NY (all highway driving) to visit my parents and I had to clean the windshield like 3 times in a span of 90 minutes as you could see the specs build up on the windshield. 🤷‍♂️
I can confirm it's bugs. I moved to CNY last year and driving, especially at night, absolutely covers the car.

Agreed it looks like bugs. Smooshed bug guts form a lacquer that hardens when it dries and is hard to wash off and can eat into the paint.

Back