All about CX-5 longevity

In any case, I can't believe you are posting this publicly. If I were your boss and I saw you volunteering this type of information about the incompetence of my dealership publicly, I would likely fire you for poor judgment. This does not reflect well on the dealership you work at. We have other forum members from Calgary too.

Glad i'm not the only one thinking this...

My '13 has just under 79k miles and doesn't burn any oil. I usually use either Mobil 1 or Mazda moly oil. The only problems I have are common. Driver side mirror shakes slightly, as does the hood, my seat squeaks a little bit; more so when its cold. Finally my TPMS light is on, but that came on after I had new wheels, tires, and had my suspension lowered. I've never bothered to try and fix it.

Burning some oil is normal IF the amount is within normal range for Car/Engine/Oil.

OP how much does described CX-5 burn? Is it .5 qt per 5K miles? More or less? How much exactly?

Burning some oil is normal IF the amount is within normal range for Car/Engine/Oil.
OP how much does described CX-5 burn? Is it .5 qt per 5K miles? More or less? How much exactly?
OP had answered this on post #11:
We use non-synthetic 0W20 oil, as for all Skyactiv cars we use that too, unless the customers request full synthetic. Filter is OEM. We always used this type of oil and filter. I think once, our new lube tech used 5w 30 accidentally, so we put it on a short 3,000mile interval so no harm would be done. We have it fully inspected every 30,000km and there are no oil leaks anywhere. We were surprised to see no sweating of gaskets either, so it's definitely being burnt. We replaced the PCV valve and that did nothing. We have to add about 1 litre every 4,000km. Air filter as well is fully OEM replaced every 30,000km as well as the cabin air filter.

The standard answer for acceptable oil consumption rate from every auto manufacture is 1 quart per 1,000 miles. But are you happy about this kind of oil consumption? No, I'm not!

But are you happy about this kind of oil consumption? No, I'm not!

I wouldn't be happy with that either. But just to be clear, no one has claimed any CX-5 burns that much and almost everyone who has reported the oil consumption of their CX-5, reports between barely detectable consumption between service intervals to no detectable oil consumption between intervals.

I didn't think there was such a thing as non-synthetic 0w-20 either... hmmm???
My thoughts exactly. If there is such a thing, it's not on the shelves of typical retailers.
Normally there is conventional 5W-20 oil. Once it reaches to 0W, it has to be at least synthetic blend. The dealer could be using 5W-20 conventional oil or cheaper 0W-20 synthetic blend.
c3f2d66e-762d-4adf-8116-0496e89c97ad.jpg

But are you happy about this kind of oil consumption? No, I'm not!
I wouldn't be happy with that either. But just to be clear, no one has claimed any CX-5 burns that much and almost everyone who has reported the oil consumption of their CX-5, reports between barely detectable consumption between service intervals to no detectable oil consumption between intervals.
I was saying I'd not be happy if my CX-5 burns that much oil like OP mentioned. OP not only reported their shuttle CX-5 burns 1 liter of oil per 4,000 km (1 quart per 2353 miles), but also he noticed their customer's CX-5's have the same tendency of burning more oil as the miles piling up.

We use non-synthetic 0W20 oil, as for all Skyactiv cars we use that too, unless the customers request full synthetic.
If true, this could explain your observations of oil burning.
(uhm) Why using non-synthetic 0W-20 oil would cause oil burning but using synthetic oil with the same viscosity wouldn't?

I think once, our new lube tech used 5w 30 accidentally, so we put it on a short 3,000mile interval so no harm would be done.
That makes no sense. The viscosity of oil gets thinner with age. If you were trying to prevent harm, you would have drained the 5-30W immediately as that is when it would be most out of spec. As it aged it would naturally get thinner. Thinner oil flows more quickly which is very desirable during cold starts.
Using 5W-30 oil accidentally is not a big deal. In fact, Mazda recommends both 0W-20 and 5W-30 for all SkyActiv-G engines in Europe. In North American market 5W-30 is recommended in Mexico. Notice the average ambient temperature range suitable for 5W-30 oil is from -30C / -22F and it would do no harm in short 3,000 mile interval even in Calgary.
2016%252520Mazda%252520CX-5%252520EU%252520Owner%252527s%252520Manual%252520Page%2525206-26%252520Oil%252520Spec.jpg

In any case, I can't believe you are posting this publicly. If I were your boss and I saw you volunteering this type of information about the incompetence of my dealership publicly, I would likely fire you for poor judgment. This does not reflect well on the dealership you work at. We have other forum members from Calgary too.
Glad i'm not the only one thinking this...
So what's wrong with the report from OP? Are you saying he shouldn't be a whistle-blower? As the matter of fact, too many dealers, not just Mazda, don't use the oil which manufacture specified. It's a common practice for dealers using cheapest oil possible and not to cause any issues in the short term. For an employee in a dealer, saying the conventional oil is being used, as long as it's 0W-20, or even 5W-30, is not really a big deal and he doesn't see this is against company's policy! I actually very glad to see a post from an insider which makes people aware they should always ask their dealer what kind of oil they are using, especially for those free ones!

I declined the "free oil change" during the car purchase when I found out my Mazda dealer is using a unknown brand of 0W-20 oil.

(trolls)

All to often it's the new forum member that comes on here and within the first five posts they are claiming something about the CX5 that just doesn't fit the mold that is the norm here.

Now if you are legitimate than you have already admitted that the dealer that you work for (and are throwing under the bus) has screwed up the oil type and has not serviced this vehicle correctly. With this being admitted by you it tells me that this particular CX5 is likely burning oil because your service dept incorrectly services it.

This is when it's great to have forum members like MikeM almost moderating this forum because they very easily point out your inconsistency in your story and expose you and so I conclude that you have failed to prove yourself or your story as nothing more than to likely be a lie

If the oil consumption is considered "normal" by Mazda, the the OP's post is of no more significance than him stating that "the car has four wheels".
If the oil consumption is considered abnormal, well the dealer should have no issues with his post, but Mazda corporate might.
If the oil consumption is catastrophic, then I'd bet this would not have been posted at all.

Personally, I appreciate when people (like the OP) tell the truth. Too many little secrets in the car game.

(trolls)

All to often it's the new forum member that comes on here and within the first five posts they are claiming something about the CX5 that just doesn't fit the mold that is the norm here.

Now if you are legitimate than you have already admitted that the dealer that you work for (and are throwing under the bus) has screwed up the oil type and has not serviced this vehicle correctly. With this being admitted by you it tells me that this particular CX5 is likely burning oil because your service dept incorrectly services it.

This is when it's great to have forum members like MikeM almost moderating this forum because they very easily point out your inconsistency in your story and expose you and so I conclude that you have failed to prove yourself or your story as nothing more than to likely be a lie
How can you accuse the dealership OP works for "has screwed up the oil type and has not serviced this vehicle correctly" by using non-synthetic 0W-20 oil? Our manual doesn't say synthetic oil is required. And even 5W-30 oil is recommended all over other regions. Any people knows a bit of oils will tell you using non-synthetic 0W-20 oil, or 5W-30 oil instead of 0W-20, would not cause oil burning as long as you change the oil at recommended interval. I don't see any "inconsistency" from his posts, hence I do feel his posts with picture is creditable.

This is not news that dealers are using wrong type of oil to service the cars. VW dealers were using non-synthetic 5W-30 oils all the time several years ago to service their 1.8T and 2.0T whereas 5W-40 (only available in synthetic form) was recommended. The end result, is class-action lawsuit for oil sludge on those turbo engines against VW of America!

It's very funny that the OP actually praised the CX-5 for its good quality in his posts, but been accused trolling and telling a lie!

How can you accuse the dealership OP works for "has screwed up the oil type and has not serviced this vehicle correctly" by using non-synthetic 0W-20 oil? Our manual doesn't say synthetic oil is required. And even 5W-30 oil is recommended all over other regions. Any people knows a bit of oils will tell you using non-synthetic 0W-20 oil, or 5W-30 oil instead of 0W-20, would not cause oil burning as long as you change the oil at recommended interval. I don't see any "inconsistency" from his posts, hence I do feel his posts with picture is creditable.

This is not news that dealers are using wrong type of oil to service the cars. VW dealers were using non-synthetic 5W-30 oils all the time several years ago to service their 1.8T and 2.0T whereas 5W-40 (only available in synthetic form) was recommended. The end result, is class-action lawsuit for oil sludge on those turbo engines against VW of America!

It's very funny that the OP actually praised the CX-5 for its good quality in his posts, but been accused trolling and telling a lie!
Well said.

I'd like to clear up a few things here. There's far too much fuzzy thinking going on and we are not even dealing with difficult concepts.

So what's wrong with the report from OP? Are you saying he shouldn't be a whistle-blower?

Not at all. Whistle-blowing is great for bringing things out in the open. I think everyone here probably agrees with that.

The issue I raised was surprise that an employee would publicly admit that his employer, an authorized Mazda dealer;
1) regularly used non-synthetic oil in a North American 2013 CX-5.
2) "accidentally" filled the same vehicle with a non-approved oil (5W-30) and decided to leave it in for 3,000 miles.

There is no non-synthetic oil that meets the required GF-5 specification, synthetic blend, yes, non-synthetic, no. And the synthetic blends tend to cost almost as much as the full synthetics. To be clear, if there was a non-synthetic oil that meets the GF-5 spec, I'll retract my statement on that limited issue. It's still not an excuse for a Mazda dealership to use a non-approved viscosity like 5W-30.

Whistle-blowing is fine as long as you don't care for your job. But if I had over a million dollars invested in this particular Mazda dealership, I probably wouldn't be too big of a fan of my employees deciding they are whistle-blowers.

As the matter of fact, too many dealers, not just Mazda, don't use the oil which manufacture specified. It's a common practice for dealers using cheapest oil possible and not to cause any issues in the short term. For an employee in a dealer, saying the conventional oil is being used, as long as it's 0W-20, or even 5W-30, is not really a big deal and he doesn't see this is against company's policy!

More fuzzy thinking. Because it's a very big deal if a Mazda dealer uses motor oil that does not meet the minimum required specs. Forget about European Skyactiv specs because we are talking about a 2013 North American CX-5 2.0L engine. The owners manual tells you which oils are acceptable. To maintain warranty coverage the oil must meet Mazda's specification and Mazda dealers are required to adhere to this. It doesn't need to be Mazda branded oil but it does need to meet the specs. From the 2.0L NA CX-5 manual (USA and Canada):

Only use 0W-20 with the American Petroleum Institute (API) symbol and ILSAC GF-5.

There is nothing nebulous about that. Sure, 5W-30 is the approved oil for Mexico, that is irrelevant to Calgary.

I declined the "free oil change" during the car purchase when I found out my Mazda dealer is using a unknown brand of 0W-20 oil.

From Mazda's perspective and warranty coverage it doesn't matter what brand it is, as long as it meets the viscosity and API/ILSAC GF-5 specifications, it's fine. It makes no sense for you to be brand picky on one hand and then, on the other hand say it's not going to hurt anything to use 5W-30 which doesn't meet Mazda's required specs.

Last edited:
I was saying I'd not be happy if my CX-5 burns that much oil like OP mentioned. OP not only reported their shuttle CX-5 burns 1 liter of oil per 4,000 km (1 quart per 2353 miles), but also he noticed their customer's CX-5's have the same tendency of burning more oil as the miles piling up.

Probably because that dealer is putting non-synthetic oil in customers cars too. As for the shuttle burning oil; Calgary at -40F, cold engine, conventional 5-20W oil, redlining engine repeatly, and driving it like you stole it 30,000 miles a year ... not may cars would survive that.

We use non-synthetic 0W20 oil, as for all Skyactiv cars we use that too, unless the customers request full synthetic. Filter is OEM. We always used this type of oil and filter. I think once, our new lube tech used 5w 30 accidentally, so we put it on a short 3,000mile interval so no harm would be done. We have it fully inspected every 30,000km and there are no oil leaks anywhere. We were surprised to see no sweating of gaskets either, so it's definitely being burnt. We replaced the PCV valve and that did nothing. We have to add about 1 litre every 4,000km. Air filter as well is fully OEM replaced every 30,000km as well as the cabin air filter.

That's absurd. I have about 3,000 US Miles on my CX-5 since last oil change. I have almost 36K on mine. It is a 2.5L. I just (as in, while reading this thread) checked the oil level. It is exactly where it was when I checked it right after it was changed. Just a tiny bit below the top hole in the dip-stick.

Why would your shuttle driver "settle down" when there's no customers on board? It would make more sense for her to drive the piss out of it when she didn't have customers on board and "settle down" when she had customers on-board. At least that's how I did it when I drove the Ski Shuttle Van for a lodge in Montana back in the 1980's. (laugh)

In any case, are you sure the car has been run it's whole life with ordinary, non-synthetic oil? I thought all 0-20W that met the GF-5 specification was synthetic. No? Please don't tell me your dealership simply uses 5-20W regular oil because the 0-20W will flow faster for those cold Calgary starts in the winter. Most engine wear happens when the engine is cold.

Not if it's burning over a quart of oil every 2,400 miles! I do not consider that acceptable. And this after only 60,000 miles? Me thinks your service guys don't really know what they're doing. Which is a shame considering they work at a Mazda dealership.

Some vehicles are VERY! oil specific. A friend of mine had an LS1 powered Camaro, burning about 1 quart of Mobil 1 5-30 every 1K miles or so. Mine burned about 1 every 2K miles. I changed to 0-30 German Castrol, and my oil consumption went down to 3/4 quart every 4500 miles, and his stopped almost completely, as well. I use only genuine Mazda Moly oil in my CX-5 for this reason. No oil use that I can visually detect on the dipstick.

Latest posts

Back